AR Newbie Registered Member

Talking preamp connected to stereo integrated amp

Hi Everyone - would really like help with this
    I have a NAD C320 stereo integrated amp, NAD C515B33 cdplayer
    and now I've got offered a NAD surround sound preamp 917.
    then I realised my amp only has one set of speaker outputs.
    Until I buy an amp that can run with more channels - (my amp isn't
    that old) - will the preamp (club, hall, stadium...) sound effects make
    any difference run through my stereo amp.
    cheers
    Philbie

Quote Originally Posted by philbie
    ...will the preamp (club, hall, stadium...) sound effects makeany difference run through my stereo amp. cheers
    Philbie
    Welcome to AR. My guess is the answer is no. I have a NAD T763 AV receiver which has a number of sound effect flavors as well. I believe most of them vary only in what they derive to the rear channels on a stereo source. Give 'er a whirl and let us know what you find.

rw

Thanks for this - guess I need to get a NAD amp - any suggestions on what would go well with this preamp that doesn't mean selling the house?

Suspended
    NAD has a really good 5 channel amp that runs about $1,499.00. If that is too much take a look at www.audiogon.com to see what deals you might find under "multichannel amps".

Thanks

Thanks for this - will check it out - especially as I seem to have blown the pre-amp
    components in the integrated amp - by trying to run the NAD Preamp through it.
    Now when I try to connect the CD player to the amp directly, i get nothing. if I
    connect the CD player to the main input, it comes out full blast with no volume
    control. If I did this stuff for a living I would be down the jobcentre in no time.

Suspended
    If you connect the main L/R output of the HT preamp into the main input of the integrated you can use the integrated amps power section and control the volume with the HT preamp. This would at least get you sound until doing something different. Hook the CD player into the HT preamp.

thanks guys for all your help
    I figured it out - the amp has plugs that fit in the PreAmp/Main inputs and I had removed these. The amp was looking for a pre-amp as its own was bypassed. Put em back in and its rock n roll again. Helps to read the manual I guess!

Forum Regular
    I have a (non NAD) home theatre amp connected to a stereo integrated amp. The HT amp is a Marantz which has pre-outs for all channels. I have connected the pre-outs for the front L/R channels to a spare line-in on the stereo amp, which is a Musical Fidelity E11. The surround and centre speakers are connected to the Marantz. When I play music in stereo, I just use the E11, but when I play HT I set the volume on the E11 to the halfway mark and control everything from the Marantz.

This setup actually works quite well. Any signal processing that the Marantz does on the front L/R channels just gets sent through the pre-outs.
    All we are saying, is give peas a chance.

Thread Information