• 08-08-2010, 08:21 AM
    phileserver39
    Preamp choice and would like your opinion
    Howdy all. I have a few different choices for a preamp that I would like to run by you. My source is an AUS STX Essence two channel card with separate hp amp. These are my choices:

1) Audio Experience Symphonies Plus Preamp (Tube)
    2) Pioneer VSX-D1S Receiver from the early 90's (Has pre outs)
    3) NAD 3150 Integrate amp from the late 80's (Has pre outs)

I will be sending the signal to a NAD 2400THX to drive a refurbished/upgraded pair of Allison Four large bookshelf speakers.

I have read great things about all of these units but, in the time it takes to swap the components and sit back to compare sonic signatures, I think I am forgetting what the last set up sounded like!

Help me audioreviewkenobi, you're my only hope! Thanks in advance for your time.
  • 08-09-2010, 11:55 AM
    JoeE SP9
    If you already have a power amp why buy a receiver or an integrated?

I'd go with the tubed pre amp.
  • 08-12-2010, 08:03 AM
    phileserver39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    If you already have a power amp why buy a receiver or an integrated?

I'd go with the tubed pre amp.

HI Joe. I already own all of the equipment I listed. I was just looking for advice on the best route from sound card to headphones. Thanks!
  • 08-12-2010, 07:42 PM
    blackraven
    Ditto, go for the tubes!
  • 08-12-2010, 09:57 PM
    RGA
    Quote:

Originally Posted by phileserver39
    HI Joe. I already own all of the equipment I listed. I was just looking for advice on the best route from sound card to headphones. Thanks!

Can't you run it direct to your headphone amplifier? Or does your headphone amplifier not have a built in volume control?

It is highly doubtful anyone herehas heard all three of these units or even just one of them let alone your specific sound card to your specific headphones. Which one sounds best therefore can only be determined by you.
  • 08-13-2010, 02:21 AM
    poppachubby
    phileserver39:

Quote:

I will be sending the signal to a NAD 2400THX to drive a refurbished/upgraded pair of Allison Four large bookshelf speakers

Quote:

I was just looking for advice on the best route from sound card to headphones. Thanks!
    I'm a bit confused.