Opinions welcomed, NADvs. Cambridge Audio

Hi Folks,
    I new to AR, but I sure would welcome your opinions or comments. I'm in the market for a new AV Reciever, or intergrated amp. I listen mostly to 2 channel, say 90-95% of the time. I have a pair of Paradigm Titians, Wharfedale EVO 10's, and a HSU STF-2 sub. I have $500 in the budget for a new amp. The choices I've narrowed it down to are NAD T754 (refurb), the Cambridge Audio 640a V2 ($400) or the Cambridge Audio 540a V2 ($300). Which do you think presents the best sonic value? Do you know what I'd get from the 640 vs the 540 for $100 besides 15 watts? Thanks.

The extra 15 watts on the 640A may come in handy with more demanding speakers. The 640A also has a higher S/N ratio for what thats worth and it uses a torroidal power transformer.

If your in the market for an AV receiver, consider the Onkyo TX SR 606 or 806.

You should also consider the Onkyo 9555 integrated amp. You may be able to find it on sale for about $500-$550.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    It really depends on what sound you like. My impression NAD will be a warmer sound with a dark background and have more weight or thickness to the instruments, the Cambridge will seem more detailed and airy with more snap and speed. I like the textures of the NAD best but I am also very partial to a soundstage with a dark background.

Between step up models of same brands aside from a slight power gain you usually get an upgrade in sound from things like larger power supplies, more output devices and better parts, sometimes added features.

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    The extra 15 watts on the 640A may come in handy with more demanding speakers. The 640A also has a higher S/N ratio for what thats worth and it uses a torroidal power transformer.

If your in the market for an AV receiver, consider the Onkyo TX SR 606 or 806.

You should also consider the Onkyo 9555 integrated amp. You may be able to find it on sale for about $500-$550.
    Thanks for your input. Yes, I have considered the Onkyo 606, but read in a blog not long ago it wasn't considered musical, but more suited for HT. The Onkyo Amp a9555, I've had a hard time finding reviews by actual users. Plus it seems the NAD and CA can be had easier and less costly. I would have to buy over the internet, no dealers in my town.

Suspended
    Any one reading my posts knows I like Onkyo in the mass market receivers but if I mostly listened to music I'd take CA or NAD over Onkyo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    It really depends on what sound you like. My impression NAD will be a warmer sound with a dark background and have more weight or thickness to the instruments, the Cambridge will seem more detailed and airy with more snap and speed. I like the textures of the NAD best but I am also very partial to a soundstage with a dark background.

Between step up models of same brands aside from a slight power gain you usually get an upgrade in sound from things like larger power supplies, more output devices and better parts, sometimes added features.
    Thank you Mr. Peabody, I found your description very helpful. I have heard the NAD, I did like the lower end, strong tight bass, yet I've heard the strength of the CA is it's high end. Does that sound accurate to you?

Suspended
    I would agree that CA is brighter but with a speaker like Paradigm that may not be a good thing for extended listening.

I should have added to my earlier Onkyo post that for HT Onkyo 606 is by far better equipped than those two.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I would agree that CA is brighter but with a speaker like Paradigm that may not be a good thing for extended listening.

I should have added to my earlier Onkyo post that for HT Onkyo 606 is by far better equipped than those two.
    Thanks again, you bring up a good point about the Paradigms, which I hadn't thought of. I listen primariliy to 2 channel. HT, I do enjoy sometimes, depending what I'm watching. Yet I couldn't spend hours watching or listening to it, whereas 2 channel music I could listen to for hours. I believe I'm starting to lean towards the NAD, maybe the best of both worlds for my budget. From what I gather there is not a glaring difference between the NAD and CA as far as 2 channel goes, and the NAD does have 5.1 although I wouldn't use it everytime I watched TV. The video connections don't matter to me, I'm interested in sound only.

Actually, the top ends of NAD's integrateds (haven't heard their AVR's, however I'd imagine the voicing is similar) are very similar the CA's. The CA's are a little sweeter with better detail, but they are not bright at all. This was the main reasons I bought the CA to drive my Mission 780's, speakers that can be fatiguing with their semi-horn loaded tweeters when not paired with warmer sounding amps.

Thread Information