Forum Regular

Pre amp suggestions for HCA-2

I just purchased a PS Audio HCA-2. Anyone have any suggestions for a pre amp under $1000 used?

I always thought the HCA2 would sound great with a nice tube linestage from ARC or CJ. Audiogon has a couple of LS1's and a PV12a within your price range. HCA's are kind of tubey anyway, and the addition of the right pre could accentuate that, if that's your taste. There is this PCA2 for sale on ebay right now. Paul has always made terrific pre-amps so you should definitely consider this one.

Hope this helps.

Forum Regular

preamp

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    I always thought the HCA2 would sound great with a nice tube linestage from ARC or CJ. Audiogon has a couple of LS1's and a PV12a within your price range. HCA's are kind of tubey anyway, and the addition of the right pre could accentuate that, if that's your taste. There is this PCA2 for sale on ebay right now. Paul has always made terrific pre-amps so you should definitely consider this one.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the suggestion and the heads up on the PCA-2 on ebay. My amp is silver so I will wait till a silver one shows up.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by relayer
    I just purchased a PS Audio HCA-2. Anyone have any suggestions for a pre amp under $1000 used?
    The Ming Da valve pre is very good apparently.Most preamps are crap really .You only realise this when you hear a really good one like Supratek Cabernet.Some of the NAD pre's are excellent-the 1300 and the 1240 for example.They are a bit warm and hazy sounding but have good speed,timing and image well.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Great amp!

Quote Originally Posted by relayer
    The matching PCA-2 would be the obvious first choice.

I use a vintage PS Audio IV that has a seperate outboard power supply with my HCA-2. It's also passive, and that's the way I use it most. I just recently hooked up the old TT, and the phonstage in it is great to!

ADCOM makes a killer pre, I think it's the GTP-750. It was designed by one of the legendary amp designers. Besides that, it's one of the few pre's that has a passive circuit, something that I want in a pre.

The dark horse here is the new PS Audio GCP-200. One went off on ebay just recently B-stock from PS Audio for $1300. You might be able to find one around your limit if you wait a while.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Thread Information