Forum Regular

Question Pre-amp better than Integrated ?

I started with a 2 channel integrated.

Then added a power amp and used the integrated pre-outs to drive inputs to power amp.

My listening has not been real scientific-like...but I did notice a big improvement when I added a power amp...

Will a Pre-amp be better than my integrated in supplying cleaner (aubibly cleaner) signal to power amp ? And is it worth spending over $500 on pre-amp ?

Forum Regular

OK I should specify...

Integrated amp is a Musical Fidelity XA-100 R
    Power Amp is a Myryad MA-240

Pre-amp in question is a Musical Fidelity A3CR

Speakers are Magnaplanars MG 1.6 QR.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

I used Musical Fidelity with maggies

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    Integrated amp is a Musical Fidelity XA-100 R
    Power Amp is a Myryad MA-240

Pre-amp in question is a Musical Fidelity A3CR

Speakers are Magnaplanars MG 1.6 QR.
    And it was a very good match. The A3cr amp would be even better with the 1.6qr than it was with my 3.6r, as it has a very extended treble responce, and should give the 1.6qr a bit more shimmer to the treble.

Forum Regular

Thanks but

I dont have the option (just yet) of upgrading Power Amp. The Pre-Amp in question is an A3CR Pre-amp.

Requirement is of another system - so can move my integrated there...

Guess I am at the stage of choosing a replacement for my integrated which was being used as only a pre-amp.

Thought that I had heard that Pre-amp is VERY important...quite frankly I have not heard a HUGE improvement between the Integrated being swapped by the Pre-amp...there is some distinct Improvement though...

There is this James Carter CD where he starts off by what sounds like gigantic farting...well with the pre-amp in the chain...it sounds like someone playing just another instrument while it sounded rather comical before (with the integrated in the chain) - not sure what exactly he was playing and whether the microphone needed sanitizing afterwards.

Thought I had heard - on this site - that pre-amps should not make a big difference.

I will admit the DBT proponents have convinced me that cables (beyond $50) do not result in improvements. I have since switched cables and wifey has noticed differences between 16 GA (or thinner - not sure) and 9GA. But no differences from 9 GA to the Transparent etc. 9GA is also overkill - this is something I had lying around, purchased when I was young and foolish.

So I will not attack DBT proponents - but may question the results nevertheless - e.g. my other post about "all amps are equal".

Thread Information