• 02-27-2006, 08:10 PM
    Roaddogg
    Powering Infinity Quantum 5's
    I'm in the middle of repairing a pair of these 70's classics and my unfortunately neither the Sony or Kenwwod receivers I have seems to have the juice I need to power them. Since I'm a new to this hobby, I was looking for some suggestions/advise on what I need to power these. From what I've been able to find on-line, I need 4 ohms and 100+ watts.

What is the best way to do this on the cheap? Any specific models to look for on Audiogon or E-bay? Can a receiver do what I want or do I have to go the component route?

FYI: You guys have a great website/forum going here. I've been trolling for a couple of months and have learned a great deal, and re-kindled a latent interest from back when The Clash hadn't sold out and Bob Marley was still alive.

Thank you for your help.
  • 03-03-2006, 11:11 PM
    Mr Peabody
    If you want a receiver a vintage 70's/80's Harmon Kardon or most any larger Onkyo receiver would work. You want high current amplification, not so much wattage. If you want to go a step up from a receiver Adcom should push them, GFA 5400, 5500, 555 or 545, but then you need the accompanying preamp. Some of the British integrated amps by Arcam or Creek will do the job and sound great but may not give you the volume you want depending on how loud you listen.
  • 03-04-2006, 06:16 AM
    GMichael
    I vote for the Adcoms also. Good quality at fair prices. Check out Outlaw while you're at it. But if you are looking for cheap and your receiver has pre-outs, you could just add amp/s and save up for the preamp later. Amps usually will last for a long time. You could get what you need from Ebay cheaply. The Adcom's are on there all the time. Most likely from people who took good care of them and are just upgrading.

Happy hunting.
  • 03-09-2006, 04:36 PM
    topspeed
    Ok, I'll be completely unoriginal and third the Adcoms. They offer tremendous bang for the buck. I'd also look for used B&K's if you prefer a bit warmer sound. A new receiver might have a problem with the 4ohm nominal load.

If you'd like to keep the whole thing vintage, you might consider a '70's era Marantz like the 2275b or an '80's Sansui AU901(?). Both are pretty legendary and shouldn't have a problem driving your speaks.
  • 08-16-2013, 04:50 PM
    kevinc666
    Old thread but oh well, The Quantums are a bit power hungry, I am powering my QLS with a Rotel 990BX 320 watts RMS into 4 ohms, they sound great. I Had a Carver M1.5t that I know would have done it effortlessly.