• 06-17-2010, 10:20 PM
    cokaznrebel
    Please recommend me a reciever/amp
    So I just ordered some Polk 70 Floorstanding speakers and have nothing to power them yet. These will be used for mostly in home listening and possibly outdoors on our patio for parties. The speakers can handle 25-275 RMS power per speaker, and was wondering how much power should I give them? I was thinking at least 150 each, but I cant seem to find the right product. I was leaning towards the Onkyo M-501 140x2 amplifier. Please let me know how I can power these speakers! My budget must be less than 250 dollars!
  • 06-18-2010, 04:24 AM
    Hyfi
    Its not all about the watts. Look for high current and low distortion. They are pretty efficient at 90db. What is your budget?

these may sound nice with a mini watt tube amp.
  • 06-18-2010, 04:54 AM
    Feanor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cokaznrebel
    So I just ordered some Polk 70 Floorstanding speakers and have nothing to power them yet. These will be used for mostly in home listening and possibly outdoors on our patio for parties. The speakers can handle 25-275 RMS power per speaker, and was wondering how much power should I give them? I was thinking at least 150 each, but I cant seem to find the right product. I was leaning towards the Onkyo M-501 140x2 amplifier. Please let me know how I can power these speakers! My budget must be less than 250 dollars!

If I'm not gravely mistaken the Onkyo M-501 is a power amplfier, (not an integrated), and you'll also need a preamplfier to drive that unit. However Onkyo is a good brand -- I just bought a TX-SR508 7.1 channel home theatre receiver and am very pleased with it.

Frankly, $250 is a faily modest budget; you are pretty much constrained to buying a used amp. Check out Craiglist and Kijiji.
  • 06-18-2010, 10:06 AM
    cokaznrebel
    I was looking at the pictures for the M-501 and it has speakers A and B output and 1 stereo RCA input. I was under the impression that I would use a CD player or a pre-amp/reciever to plug into the input and the amplifier would drive the speakers from scratch. I cant really see any other way that would even be possible. If I up my budget to 300 what could you recommend?
  • 06-18-2010, 10:30 AM
    Feanor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cokaznrebel
    I was looking at the pictures for the M-501 and it has speakers A and B output and 1 stereo RCA input. I was under the impression that I would use a CD player or a pre-amp/reciever to plug into the input and the amplifier would drive the speakers from scratch. I cant really see any other way that would even be possible. If I up my budget to 300 what could you recommend?

Yes, the M-501 or basically any power amp can be driven by a preamp, receiver with preamp "outs", or by a CD player if it happens to have volume-controlled outputs; (do not use 'Tape Outs' or standard CD outputs because they aren't volume-controlled).

I'm not sure about the M-501 specifically, though Onkyo is good in general. Other good power amp bets are the Adcom GFA 545 or 555 that might be had for $300.
  • 06-18-2010, 10:56 AM
    cokaznrebel
    What would you recommend for a whole package? Just a really nice A/V reciever? I want to at least push 100 RMS/channel with pre-amps if I want to expand. Just hit me with a good product sub 500$
  • 06-18-2010, 07:49 PM
    Mr Peabody
    Take a look at the NAD L54, or they have a couple similar models, but it's a AM/FM/CD receiver. It's rated at 40 watts but they are quality watts. Plus you already have the CD built in.

You might also look at Onkyo's 9555 or their stereo receiver 8555.

RECEIVER=tuner/preamp/power amp in one box. Usually cheapest option but lowest performance.
    INTEGRATED AMP=preamp & power amp, no tuner
    POWER AMP= just the power part that drives the speakers with no volume or other adjusts, such as the M501. If you plug your CD into that and push play your speakers would receive the full 150 watts with no way to turn them down. Unless as Feanor mentioned your CD player has a variable output.
    PREAMP=the controlling unit and counter part to the POWER AMP. A preamp has the volume, input selector etc.

Don't buy just on a power rating. If keeping in a budget you might check around for a used receiver on your local craiglist or even thrift stores.

A bit over the budget but great bang for the buck, www.emotiva.com

www.spearitsound.com sometimes has good deals under their "demo & used" link. Not as low as buying from an individual but they back up what they sell.