• 04-03-2004, 09:56 PM
    jkcheng122
    place to fix Audio Research amps in houston
    i live in the houston, texas area and would like to know if there are any authorized repair shops in the area.

the power amp needs a new set of tubes.

i'd also like to know if anyone knows how much this maintenance will cost.
  • 04-04-2004, 06:29 AM
    E-Stat
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jkcheng122
    i'd also like to know if anyone knows how much this maintenance will cost.

The answer to this question depends upon which amp you have. If you have one of the VT series, you will need to buy matched quads.

There are dealers in Austin and Dallas.

rw
  • 04-04-2004, 07:51 AM
    jkcheng122
    i have the CL-60 power amplifier
  • 04-04-2004, 11:57 AM
    E-Stat
    Quote:

i have the CL-60 power amplifier

The Classic 60 uses 4 matched pairs of 6550C outputs and 4 6FQ7s. If you were to buy them at Triode Electronics, the 6550s would run you $49.95 / matched pair for SED (Svetlana) and $10.95 / tube for Electro Harmonix 6FQ7. Call it $250.

If you get them from ARC, the price will likely be about double. They do, however, carefully burn in and choose the tubes used. In any event, you will need to rebias the outputs to 65mA.

rw
  • 04-05-2004, 02:44 PM
    jkcheng122
    is putting in these tubes something i'd be able to do myself? how much will the parts plus labor cost me?

what are my options? i can take the amp to the austin dealer, but should i buy the tubes from triode electronics?

thanks for all the info u've provided.
  • 04-05-2004, 03:34 PM
    E-Stat
    Quote:

is putting in these tubes something i'd be able to do myself? how much will the parts plus labor cost me?

what are my options? i can take the amp to the austin dealer, but should i buy the tubes from triode electronics?

thanks for all the info u've provided.

Putting in the tubes is something you can do very easily. Properly setting the bias will require some electronics know-how and a good VOM. If you are not an electronic hobbyist, I would recommend taking the amp to the dealer for service.

rw