Forum Regular

Pioneer SX-1050 ...or?

I'm currently upgrading my Best Buy quality system piece by piece. I have already made the DIY speakers by Ed Frias and am very impressed. My next upgrade is the amplifier. I have been considering buying the Pioneer SX-1050 receiver which is going for $200-$300. However, I am not familiar with amplifiers and was curious for any suggestions concerning models in my $200- $300 price range. The basic gist I get from reading the various posts is that amps are better than receivers. Cool, I can believe that, but I have no knowledge as to what amps to look at.

After this purchase, I am planning to purchase an entry level turntable... a music hall 5.1 or rega with a nice cartridge...about $600. So, I am looking for an amp/receiver to compliment the future turntable with my current speakers.

Any suggestions and constructive criticism is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

D

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by gypsyhick
    I'm currently upgrading my Best Buy quality system piece by piece. I have already made the DIY speakers by Ed Frias and am very impressed. My next upgrade is the amplifier. I have been considering buying the Pioneer SX-1050 receiver which is going for $200-$300. However, I am not familiar with amplifiers and was curious for any suggestions concerning models in my $200- $300 price range. The basic gist I get from reading the various posts is that amps are better than receivers. Cool, I can believe that, but I have no knowledge as to what amps to look at.

After this purchase, I am planning to purchase an entry level turntable... a music hall 5.1 or rega with a nice cartridge...about $600. So, I am looking for an amp/receiver to compliment the future turntable with my current speakers.

Any suggestions and constructive criticism is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

D
    I don't believe integrated amps are necessarily better than receivers. My only reservation would be the age of the Pioneer SX-1050, which I estimate to be about 25 years, but I have a Kenwood that old that has never needed repairs. I don't know about the quality of the Pioneer's phono stage, but I believe its amp is rated at around 120 watts@ 8 ohms, which sould be sufficient for most speakers. If you like vintage gear such as this receiver, have you ever considered a vintage turntable? I'm not making a recommendation, but was just wondering.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by okiemax
    I don't believe integrated amps are necessarily better than receivers. My only reservation would be the age of the Pioneer SX-1050, which I estimate to be about 25 years, but I have a Kenwood that old that has never needed repairs. I don't know about the quality of the Pioneer's phono stage, but I believe its amp is rated at around 120 watts@ 8 ohms, which sould be sufficient for most speakers. If you like vintage gear such as this receiver, have you ever considered a vintage turntable? I'm not making a recommendation, but was just wondering.
    Pioneer made some great stereo receivers, and the SX-1050 was one of them. You should have the receiver checked out thoroughly, as it's age may be a factor. Repair work is NOT cheap!

Used seperates is another route that might also be affordable.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Thread Information