Forum Regular

Phono Preamp recommendation!

Im using turntable and phono preamp (SE II) from Pro-Ject then connected to Krell gear. Im thinking buying Krell Reference KPE phono preamp because might be betters synergy since my preamp and amp are Krell. My question: will KPE be good synergy with Pro-Ject using Denon 304 cart?

Im wondering if a very expensive phono stage likes Krell may not perform at best level with cart like Denon! I mean probably need more high-end cartridge or certain models?

Also, if anybody listened to KPE before Im interested to know how its sound.

Any opinion will be appreciated.

Sincerely
    Magnepan MG20/ Krell FPB 200 watt amp/ Krell KAV-500 amp/ Krell KPS 20 IL CD player/ Krell Audio Video Standard Preamp & processor/ Project 9.1 turntable Denon 304 cart/ Arcam FMJ tuner/ Arcam 137 DVD/ Tascam 322 tape deck/ JVC vhs/ AQ interconnects: Colorado/ Transprent cable: Super, Ultra, Rference, XL Reference.

With the KPE's fairly high gain, it seems like it would be best to stay with the really low output cartridges. I was thinking about suggesting the Benz Glider SL or maybe the Shelter 501 II. They're at about the maximum output that seems right for the KPE, though. Lower might be better.

I wouldn't have any thoughts on synergy, due to a total lack of experience with Krell gear, but it does seem like you're due for a phono stage upgrade...with or without a cartridge upgrade.

Suspended
    Although I've never used the KPE, Krell typically has great synergy with their own gear.

I used my AcousTech Ph-1 with Krell and it did a fine job. You might also look at the other Sutherland offerings. I find the AcousTech pretty much neutral sounding good with both Krell and my CJ gear, it also received several good reviews. Just an option for you to consider. I'm sure the KPE is excellent.

Forum Regular
    Thanks folks for recommendation. I assume its better to upgrade my phono stage either way. Sure I will look to AcousTech and see from there. By the way I have little knowledge abt cart! I pick Denon 304 because I heard Denon generally are fantastic, but never listened to Benz Glider, Shelter and others. Should I try something different if I want a perfect sound or Denon is doing ok?

Many thanks.
    Cheers.
    Magnepan MG20/ Krell FPB 200 watt amp/ Krell KAV-500 amp/ Krell KPS 20 IL CD player/ Krell Audio Video Standard Preamp & processor/ Project 9.1 turntable Denon 304 cart/ Arcam FMJ tuner/ Arcam 137 DVD/ Tascam 322 tape deck/ JVC vhs/ AQ interconnects: Colorado/ Transprent cable: Super, Ultra, Rference, XL Reference.

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    My Pro-ject dealer has the 9.1 setup with a Sumiko Blue Point Special running through the SE II pre and it sounds great. Now that VaCa is over, I can't wait for my SE II to come in so I can get the vinyl spinning again. Do you have any other cartridges to try with this setup?
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

I can't see any problem with your Denon cartridge. Its compliance seems to be a good match for your Pro-Ject arm and its output seems to be a good match for the proposed phono preamp. However, you might want to consider the Benz, the Shelter and whatever else fits these same characteristics. The Goldring Eroica LX or the Dynavestor 20XL might also be good. Now that I think about it, I'd really suggest looking into the Dynavector.

the Denon is an excellent cartridge, and I speak from personal experience too

it does indeed need a phono preamplifier with a high(er) gain, and a load impedance of more than 100, preferably much more than that (I run mine at 47kohm, it really starts opening up at 1000 and more...

I wouldn't look at the goldring carts, the 304 plays them away.
    the dynavector is good, but go for the 20XL at least to be comparable to the Denon...

the shelters are exceptionally good carts, but unfortunately not a good match at all with your arm

Have you looked at Lehmann audio? a Black cube SE2, or better will really do this cart justice, is perfectly adjustable, and very good sound quality and build quality, true german engineering from top to bottom, fully symmetrical buildup with high quality parts and the same goes for the big and powerful external power supply...

and, for the performance, and in general, actually, a very reasonable price...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Forum Regular
    Thanks to all for your kind inputs . I have SE II and Tube preamp from Pro-Ject they are very good, however, since I have Krell gear I felt it could take more than Pro-Ject. However, with Pro-Ject phono preamp I use jumpers at 220 ohms and sounded really good but I think need gain because the db went down! Without jumpers Denon 304 sounded light and less weight. Although I have been told 304 doesn’t like jumpers!

The other Cart I listened is Ortfon Red have fantastic sound and quality, the only problem has is unemotional. I would love to have same quality I mean perfection.

By the way some people feel Denon can perform as double price in other Cart, is it true? Also there is D-1 but I never heard opinion about it.

Forum Regular
    Hagerman Cornet 2

Forum Regular
    I have used denon 103 with tubes with great success. IMO, stay away from solid state for long-term satisfaction. Look for a Counterpoint SA-2 used.

Thread Information