Thread: Phono Amp?

AR Newbie Registered Member

Question Phono Amp?

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a phono amp, but to be honest I don't have a lot of experience. I've done a bit of research online and I've found a couple that seem to be good bargains for close to the same price range.

The first one is the Dino MK2 Phono (heres a link STONEAUDIO UK | hi-fi, home cinema, multi-room, design and installation).

Another I Found was the Firestone Phono (slightly cheaper, but Im not sure which is a better amp - link: Korora RIAA Phono Stage | Sound Additions)

I also found a few random other ones but they didn't seem to spark my interest the same as these two did. I only have around 350$ or so to spend - but I'd like some advice. I'm leaning towards the MK2 but the cost being in Euros is a little harsh being Canadian So we'll see... any advice is really appreciated!

Trying to stay in your budget I'd try the Bellari VP130 or the Pro-Ject Phono Box SE II:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Bellari-...2&category=401

http://www.needledoctor.com/Pro-Ject...2&category=401

Suspended
    I'm not familiar with those. I used a Creek OBH-8 previously and for the modest price this piece is a giant killer. The 8 doesn't have a lot of features so if thinking of going MC some day you might check a step up version. I haven't used a lot of phono amps but the OBH-8 blows the NAD completely away and I preferred the OBH-8 to a $795.00 Primare. The Primare didn't have synergy with my system or something because it sure didn't sound like it's price tag.

Save serious bucks

Quote Originally Posted by audioguy27
    Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a phono amp, but to be honest I don't have a lot of experience. I've done a bit of research online and I've found a couple that seem to be good bargains for close to the same price range.

The first one is the Dino MK2 Phono (heres a link STONEAUDIO UK | hi-fi, home cinema, multi-room, design and installation).

Another I Found was the Firestone Phono (slightly cheaper, but Im not sure which is a better amp - link: Korora RIAA Phono Stage | Sound Additions)

I also found a few random other ones but they didn't seem to spark my interest the same as these two did. I only have around 350$ or so to spend - but I'd like some advice. I'm leaning towards the MK2 but the cost being in Euros is a little harsh being Canadian So we'll see... any advice is really appreciated!
    As a person on budget, especially with respect to my small LP library, I been quite content with this TCC TC-750 preamp. It's more that decent and huge bargin for sure.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    Trying to stay in your budget I'd try the Bellari VP130
    Ditto on the Bellari. Even Fremer recommends it as a budget model. I use a VP129 (no USB ) in the vintage system. You can find them on Agon for a good bit less. It has a low impedance output and analog gain controls that allow you to drive an amp directly as I do with the Threshold.

rw

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    another vote for the Bellari with one caveat. I've read some complaints from users of early models regarding hum. You might inquire about this if you buy used. However, I purchased an early model Bellari at the intro price of $199 USD and have had no problems with hum.

Also, if you need more gain and adjustability, the Jolida JD9A lists for $450USD but is often discounted to around $375 (in the US) - just a little more than your budget.

Another contender is the Cambridge Audio 640P. I bought my son one of these. He's off at college so I haven't heard it personally, but he likes it. It's a little more sophisticated than the 540P and it can handle both high output moving magnet and lower output moving coil cartridges.

Thread Information