Forum Regular

PC soundcard --> Amp wiring question

I have a Creative audigy 5.1 soundcard in my PC. I would like to hook it up to my stereo amp to be able to play my mp3s once in a while (Im still picking out the amp, but if it matters, say its a Marantz PM7001). What kind of wires and wiring scheme can I employ to do this to get the best sound? I know mp3s are weak ground to start from for good sound, but the fact is that I do have a ton of mp3s and I will play every so often. Would appreciate any suggestions to eke out better sound.

Also, is it really a problem to have PC sitting near your speaker/amps? How far away is alright? What about a DLP TV? Unlike a CRT TV, it shouldnt really have a strong magnetic field to mess things up, right? I dont have a separate listening room and wont unless I win the lottery, so I can just try to move things around a bit.

cheers,
    kz

there are multiple possebilities, since you don't have to do enourmous distances, neither you have to transmit signal from one room to another, you don't need wireless.
    then, easiest way is by getting an Y-cable and connect it from your pc soundcard to one of your amp's line level inputs (everything exept phono, DO NOT use the phono input for linelevel signals!) and there is a better, also a more expensive method, by getting an external DAC. Or you could get an 'audiophile soundcard' like an M-audio usb or so...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Cool

Computers are extremely noisy, an external card, hooked up via USB
    allows you to get the music "out" of the computer before its converteb
    back to music.
    I have a creative that only cost 39 bucks, have it hooked to my computer via usb hub, and hooked to my receiver via a
    toslink digital audio cable
    Also, check out FLAC and APE lossless audio codecs, they
    deliver full fidelity and mp3's sound like junk compared to them
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    Computers are extremely noisy, an external card, hooked up via USB
    allows you to get the music "out" of the computer before its converteb
    back to music.
    I have a creative that only cost 39 bucks, have it hooked to my computer via usb hub, and hooked to my receiver via a
    toslink digital audio cable
    Also, check out FLAC and APE lossless audio codecs, they
    deliver full fidelity and mp3's sound like junk compared to them
    I recently discovered FLAC, I'm very excited
    Can anyone testify to the ability of yamaha's "compressed music enhancer" in most of their receivers?

A stereo 1/8" plug to 2 RCA plug cable is all you need. Although, for the best reproduction of music, changing your sound card is recommended. I switched to a M-Audio Audiophile 2496 from an Audigy and the difference is amazing for music. Took me a long time to try the upgrade because I thought the Audigy was a decent card. Not for music... Trust me... The Audiophile also accepts standard RCA interconnects. http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=361112

I tried the Audiophile USB external card first. Had some pops and clicks probably due to the USB 1.1 interface being too slow at times. Others have complained of this as well. The internal card sounds 99% as good to me, with no problems and far better than the Audigy for music. The Audiophile Firewire might be an option if you wish to go external.

I am using an Audigy ZS card and a Sony receiver connected via Digital PCM out from card to coaxial in on receiver, very clean stereo sound and never drops signal, 108db s/n ratio! sounds awsome IMO ..

nightflier

Firewire?

Quote Originally Posted by royphil345
    The Audiophile Firewire might be an option if you wish to go external.
    Never heard of this. Can you point us online to some products?

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    Never heard of this. Can you point us online to some products?
    Internal: http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=361112

Firewire: http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-FireWi...905627-6631854

I recommended these because the original poster didn't have digital inputs on his preamp. These have good quality D/A converters built in and minimise any processing of the audio signal. If you have a digital input and don't wish to record from vinyl or tape... an interface without analog ins and outs or lower quality ones may be all you need. Digital to digital shouldn't ever sound bad, unless too much unnecessary processing of the signal is going on like with the Audigy.

Possible bargain: http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHUCA202

I found that the Audigy upconverts everything automatically, and at the same time will actually lower the quality of the output unless you select "bit perfect output". There seems to be some EQ going on as well. I played with the settings quite a bit and never got anything out of it that sounded as good as what I'm getting from the M-Audio 2496. It has many capabilities for games, communications, takes alot of load off your other hardware... Just doesn't seem optimized for the best music performance...
    Last edited by royphil345; 05-05-2007 at 01:36 AM.

nightflier

Could you clarify?

Quote Originally Posted by royphil345
    I found that the Audigy upconverts everything automatically, and at the same time will actually lower the quality of the output unless you select "bit perfect output". There seems to be some EQ going on as well. I played with the settings quite a bit and never got anything out of it that sounded as good as what I'm getting from the M-Audio 2496. It has many capabilities for games, communications, takes alot of load off your other hardware... Just doesn't seem optimized for the best music performance...
    So are you saying the M-Audio PCI card is good for games, but not as good for music, or is it the other way around?

P.S. I like the firewire adapter option, especially since firewire cables make a better seal, with USB always introducing static at the slightest movement. Also, if I'm going to buy an external adapter, I'd like it to have some heft as I hate it when you have to unplug something and the whole thing slides around the table. I've resorted to screwing things to the tables just to avoid this.

Anyhow, that's probably not what the original poster was interested in. BTW, anyone hear from kingzorghh, since he started the thread?

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    So are you saying the M-Audio PCI card is good for games, but not as good for music, or is it the other way around?

P.S. I like the firewire adapter option, especially since firewire cables make a better seal, with USB always introducing static at the slightest movement. Also, if I'm going to buy an external adapter, I'd like it to have some heft as I hate it when you have to unplug something and the whole thing slides around the table. I've resorted to screwing things to the tables just to avoid this.

Anyhow, that's probably not what the original poster was interested in. BTW, anyone hear from kingzorghh, since he started the thread?
    I was saying that about the Audigy. The M-Audio sounds great for music.

The original poster said... " I know mp3s are weak ground to start from for good sound, but the fact is that I do have a ton of mp3s and I will play every so often. Would appreciate any suggestions to eke out better sound."

Some kind of external card / interface is about the ONLY way to get truly high quality sound from most laptops to a stereo / HT system. Hence my answer... The stereo integrated amp he said he was probably getting does not have digital inputs, so his external interface would have to include a high quality D/A converter and analog outputs.

Some poster hanger putty (Blue-Tack) can be useful for securing things without permanently damaging anything.

nightflier

How about the Outlaw 2150?

Quote Originally Posted by kingzorghh
    Im still picking out the amp, but if it matters, say its a Marantz PM7001
    Kingzorghh, how about the Outlaw 2150 (http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2150.html)? It is very well regarded and has a USB input so it would not need any external D/A unit. It certainly would simplify things and measure up well against the Marantz/OutboardSound option

Forum Regular
    I'll second the Outlaw RR2150 option. I much preferred this to the Marantz PM7001, the Marantz was a bit too harsh for my liking.. The USB input is a very nice option , it essentially makes your 2150 a giant external sound card. I own a Creative PCI sound card on my computer, and as stated before ..... it's noisy (fine for PC speakers, but not for playing through a real amplifier). USB gets the sound to your amp before being ruined by the computer.... if you care at all about the quality of your listening experience you should either consider the USB external card, the RR2150 or spending much more for a real good(as in not a Creative brand) PCI card. But, since you need an amp anyways, the RR2150 is a very good option.

nightflier
    One irritating caveat with USB & external sound cards is that you have to keep the USB cable from moving as much as possible. If you're recording a file and nudge your table just a tad, you'll hear that in the recording. Very annoying.

We have to tape everything down to the table for several of our users and if the external adapter is lightweight (not a problem with the RR2150), we tape that down too. We keep rolls and rolls of duct tape around - kind of like the A-Team.

Bottom line is that USB is hardly an ideal medium for music because it is not designed to make a solid connection. I wonder if there are companies out there that have locking USB cables...

Thread Information