Passive PreAmp

Printable View

• 01-11-2007, 11:26 PM
    blueocean
    Passive PreAmp
    Would anyone advise me about a passive preamp that goes with 5 channels Anthem Amp and B&W 703 speakers.

Budget: < $1000
  • 01-12-2007, 01:03 AM
    Dusty Chalk
    I don't think they make them in 5 channel. Passive preamps are pretty easy to make DIY -- that's what you should do. The hardest part is going to be having it controlled by a single knob. The closest thing I can suggest is three stereo passive preamps, but good luck for finding it for less than a Grover Cleveland. I would just get 5 stepped attenuators and put them in a box.
  • 01-12-2007, 03:02 AM
    aevans
    how many sources, and what is the output impedence of them?
    you might be better off with an active preamp if they don't match..

one option is to use a cheap integrated amp with pre-outs. I've got a jvc 1028 sitting here that could work. doesn't color the sound too much that I could tell although I've never really compaired it directly to my preamp. another bonus is you get a metric **** ton of inputs - optical/coax/5.1rca/etc.etc.
  • 01-12-2007, 07:50 AM
    markw
    You want a five channel passive preamp?
    Interesting concept. Where in the signal chain do you intend to place this?

I'm assuming after the processor, no?

If so, why bother? The MC processor stage contains a preamp already and this would be redundant.
  • 01-12-2007, 10:12 AM
    Rock789
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blueocean
    Would anyone advise me about a passive preamp that goes with 5 channels Anthem Amp and B&W 703 speakers.

Budget: < $1000

my only guess as to why this would be used is:
    SACD/DVD-A, or some multichannel analog signal...

I have seen, although not in the audio environment, multiple potentiometers mechenically liked by gears, or pullies and belts (which look more like rubber bands...)

I have seen double and tripple stacked pots...
    for a design like this, you may actually want individual control for fine tuning...
    perhaps a double stack for the fronts, a double stack for the rears, and single for the sub and center?

just make sure you get a log based pot if you do something like this ;o)
    (at least I think thats what you want...)

goodluck,
    Mike

btw, what anthem amp do you have?
  • 01-12-2007, 10:49 AM
    JoeE SP9
    www.dactaudio.com has 6 and 7 element potentiometers and kits for MC preamps.:smilewinkgrin:
  • 01-12-2007, 10:56 AM
    Rock789
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    www.dactaudio.com has 6 and 7 element potentiometers and kits for MC preamps.:smilewinkgrin:

link isn't working
  • 01-12-2007, 10:57 AM
    Rock789