Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pass X1 preamp

Glad to hear that BR....I really need to get into digi music with a computer as well.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

I set up a music server a few months ago and love it, i got a killer deal on a dell desktop pc and use it or a dedicated music and media server. I run it usb to my PS Audio Nuwave and it is the best my system has sounded after i installed fidelizer on the pc

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    I am considering upgrading my DAC to a DSD DAC or just going with a Marantz 11S3 SACD player. If I had the cash now I would buy a used Marantz 7s1 or S2 SACDP. There are 3 of them on audiogon right now for reasonable prices. I have also considered getting a Modright modified Oppo 105 with the tube and power supply mod but I think I would be better off with Marantz. This may be the preferable way to go as the X1 could use a better source than my current DAC which does not do hi rez music. And lately after hearing a friends system I have been considering getting a dedicated computer for audio and using J River Software along with a DSD DAC.
    I'd like to try a DSD DAC as well. Actually my two last acquisitions before the Pass amp were the Schiit Bifrost Uber DAC and the ARC LS9 premp; they were both very significant improvements to my system. However if I were now back before either of these I think I might well look for a DAC with preamp functions and also DSD capability.

I think there a two or three that might do this. One is the Benchmark DAC2 HGC which even has a couple of analog inputs, plus balanced outputs and remote control, see HERE.

I would love to have one of these lampizator DAC's. Unfortunately the level 2 which was affordable is no longer available.

Welcome
    Last edited by blackraven; 12-12-2013 at 09:20 AM.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

I would love to have one of these lamizator DAC's. Unfortunately the level 2 which was affordable is no longer available.

Welcome
    ... well, looks like you can buy it in DIY kit form, (here).

Suspended
    The Cambridge DAC, I believe it's the 851, has variable output with remote, the sound is different than past players, quite neutral, a bit too crisp for my taste, but again system synergy and personal taste.....

For a preamp/DAC combo Bel Canto would be on my list to be sure. Several Esoteric DAC's have variable outputs w/remote. Seeing this as a trend the options should be plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    ... well, looks like you can buy it in DIY kit form, (here).

I may consider the kit if I can get some one to build it for a reasonable price. I have a radio guy here that might do it.

I am not looking for a Pre/DAC combo. I would like a new DAC and/or a high end SACD player.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    The Cambridge DAC, I believe it's the 851, has variable output with remote, the sound is different than past players, quite neutral, a bit too crisp for my taste, but again system synergy and personal taste.....

For a preamp/DAC combo Bel Canto would be on my list to be sure. Several Esoteric DAC's have variable outputs w/remote. Seeing this as a trend the options should be plenty.
    I would consider a DAC with built-in preamp to economize (since I could sell my current preamp), and also eliminate a component in the repro chain.

Another DAC that meets the description is the NAD M51. It received a very good review in Stereophile, (here). I doesn't do DSD however. I'd have to looked for a used one of course.

No rush, though: my Schiit Bifrost Uber punches 'way above its weight, especially for transparency & air, and I'm please with the clarity and dynamics of my ARC LS9.

I may consider the kit if I can get some one to build it for a reasonable price. I have a radio guy here that might do it.

I am not looking for a Pre/DAC combo. I would like a new DAC and/or a high end SACD player.
    As a classical music listener mainly, there are plenty of SACD recordings that could justify a player upgrade for me; I have about 50 SACDs at the moment and would have more if I had a player better than my current Sony SCD-CE775. JohnMichael's SCD-XA5400ES would probably work well for me; (I'd pay the shipping).

Speaking of DIY and also NCore amps, you can buy the raw guts of a stereo amp based on the NC400 for Euro 1110, about USD 1500. Add couple of a hundred for cases, connectors, and RFI/EMI filters (as pictured) and you'd have you amps for about 1/4 of commercial ready-made options.

Last edited by Feanor; 12-13-2013 at 07:09 AM.

Bill I was not very impressed with my friends Ncore monoblocks. They were not very dynamic in my system when he brought them over. His jaw dropped open when he heard how they compared to my Pass. My Parasound blows them away. I think that the Class D Audio amps are better.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Bill I was not very impressed with my friends Ncore monoblocks. They were not very dynamic in my system when he brought them over. His jaw dropped open when he heard how they compared to my Pass. My Parasound blows them away. I think that the Class D Audio amps are better.
    That's an interesting observation about the Class D Audio amps. And, to be sure, my Pass beats my CDA amp without breaking a sweat. I've have heard a other few negative comments about the NCores too; I'm not tempted to want to get one -- it was just an observation about the potential savings of DIY.

Suspended
    This thread has been quiet lately anything new on the preamp search, Jack, BR? I think you both are looking for warm but a good balanced preamp in a more neutral sound would be a krell, like a KRC-3. I know shipping isn't cheap but it would be interesting to see what the X1 did in Jack's system with the 1.8's. If you want to be bold I see Emo is coming out with a new $2k Reference balanced preamp .

This thread has been quiet lately anything new on the preamp search, Jack, BR? I think you both are looking for warm but a good balanced preamp in a more neutral sound would be a krell, like a KRC-3. I know shipping isn't cheap but it would be interesting to see what the X1 did in Jack's system with the 1.8's. If you want to be bold I see Emo is coming out with a new $2k Reference balanced preamp .
    Well I've decide that I don't need a "warmer" preamp than my ARC LS9 in combination with my Pass X150.5. A fairly small portion of my recordings sound a bit bright but I've decided that it's the recording's fault, not the amplification's.

LS9 cost me about the same as a new Emotiva XSP-1 "Differential Reference"; it was less than what a Krell KRC-3 would have cost and less than half as much as the Pass X1.

The Emotiva XSP-1 has a lot of nice features but I wouldn't include its numerous opamps among them. When I look at this photo from Emotiva, I count at least 15 opamps. The LS9 is all-discrete and class A.

Last edited by Feanor; 01-04-2014 at 11:58 AM.

I am eventually going to buy a CJ ET-3, preferably the SE version. Reviews on this preamp are nothing but stellar. It's a tube preamp.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    From your posts Feanor I would think the ARC is a good match for you. If anything on your system at some point you might consider an upgrade in DAC.

From your posts Feanor I would think the ARC is a good match for you. If anything on your system at some point you might consider an upgrade in DAC.
    I agree with that my DAC would be the next thing to consider, though I'd like a nice SACD player, being a classical listener. I'm definitely envious of your Mark Levinson 512. Any DAC suggestions?

Meanwhile I feel my Schiit Bifrost Uber punches 'way above its weight, so no rush.

Any DAC that you get should do DSD. Other considerations would be to get a Marantz reference SACD player that can function as a DAC. That is my plan. I would love to have an 11S2 or 11S3
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    There's the Sony JM recently bought, if nothing else Sony's SACD players seem to be respected. I also recently seen in a Music Direct flyer they had the Marantz Reference SA-15s for under $1500.00, normally $2k. You like things neutral you might even consider the Cambridge 851, it's quite a bit different from prior players being more neutral and detailed, I believe there are reviews around. Also, not sure if it does SACD but Music Direct also had the PS Audio DAC on sale for like $799.00. If you keep an eye on Audiogon or Spearitsound a Krell being balanced would match your system nicely. They also occasionally have an Esoteric within reach.

There's the Sony JM recently bought, if nothing else Sony's SACD players seem to be respected. I also recently seen in a Music Direct flyer they had the Marantz Reference SA-15s for under $1500.00, normally $2k. You like things neutral you might even consider the Cambridge 851, it's quite a bit different from prior players being more neutral and detailed, I believe there are reviews around. Also, not sure if it does SACD but Music Direct also had the PS Audio DAC on sale for like $799.00. If you keep an eye on Audiogon or Spearitsound a Krell being balanced would match your system nicely. They also occasionally have an Esoteric within reach.
    These are good suggestions, thanks.

The Marantz models do have the digital input so have the potential to replace my separate DAC. JM's Sony SCD-XA5400ES is looks good and reasonably priced, but has no digital inputs The Cambridge 851 accepts digital input but isn't an SACD player.

Interesting maybe is the fact that US retailers such as Music Direct, Acoustic Sounds, Audio Advisor, etc., will not sell certain brands in across the border to Canada due to agreements these brands have with Canadian distributors. This doesn't work well for Canadian consumers who usually end up paying more. BTY, the Sony SCD-XA5400ES isn't for sale in Canada at all.

Suspended

f

I forgot the 851 didn't do SACD, I think because my friend uses it to do hi rez computer files. Not SACD is a major oversight of Cambridge on that unit especially considering the way they market it.

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    I'm still doing research. The holidays have slowed me down, plus our friend is building a house and wants to put a home theater in her entertainment room. It's so much easier to run the wires before the drywall is up. I've looked at ARC LS-15,16, and 17. Cary and CJ also. I want tubes and balanced and I'm mainly looking used. We're heading for Las Vegas in 2 weeks and I'm missing CES by a week. That figures.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Suspended
    Jack, may want to put BAT (Balanced Audio Technology) on your list.

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Jack, may want to put BAT (Balanced Audio Technology) on your list.
    Being a local company, I've been wanting to stop by their place and see if they have a loaner program or a 30 day trial deal.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Jack, there are a few BAT 51se's and a BAT32 for sale on Agon. I would like to have a tube pre with XLR's but I don't want to limit my options. There are plenty of great tube pre's that don't have XLR. I tried my x250 with and wo XLR and the difference sound is minimal if any that I can hear.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    Blackraven what did you hook to the X250 that was balanced? Balanced is more than just using XLR's, some gear offers the connection but not truly balanced.

The X250 is a single-ended "Class-A" topology with Pass's Supersymmetry™ Balanced approach to precision component matching. His Supersymmetry™ topology was granted a United States patent in 1994. Employing a balanced gain-stage, distortion and noise are made absolutely symmetrical at the two outputs. The signal is amplified, yet noise and distortion are canceled. The amplifier uses carefully matched components in a balanced "Class A" circuit. This simple circuit contains only two gain stages. A balanced single-ended voltage stage drives a bank of high power MOSFETs, which operate as followers for a minimal amount of feedback around the output stage. The massive reference level amplifier is fully DC coupled with no capacitors in the signal path. The result is a high-frequency smoothness belying its massive solid-state power.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information