Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Pass Labs X250

Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    I am astounded at how good this amp sounds.
    I've been of that opinion since I heard Nelson Pass' first amp, the Threshold 800A back in '75.

If I have to list the con's to this amp, they would be that it gets hot while my A21 almost never got warm.
    All his designs are amply biased. All one needs to do is look at the massive heat sinks found on virtually all Threshold/Pass Labs/First Watt models. My '81 Stasis also runs quite toasty.

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat View Post

All his designs are amply biased. All one needs to do is look at the massive heat sinks found on virtually all Threshold/Pass Labs/First Watt models. My '81 Stasis also runs quite toasty.
    Thanks E-Stat, I am slowly piecing together a high end system.

The A21 has massive heat sinks as well and plays in Class A up to 10wpc but the Pass plays in class A I believe up to 25wpc which accounts for the heat difference. I find it interesting that Parasound rates its power at 250 wpc at 8 ohms and 400 at 4 ohms at 20-20,000K while Pass rates the X250 at 1khz 250wpc at 8 ohms and 500 at 4 ohms. The A21 puts out 60 peak amps and the X250 only 20 peak amps. I found that the A21 plays a little louder before I can hear distortion. I am not putting down the Pass as it way outclasses the A21 in dynamics and sound quality. I was looking at used Classe, ML and Nuforce Model 9se amps before I found the Pass. I am not disappointed in the least. Now I need to find a new DAC and Preamp as the Pass has brought out their weaknesses.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

The A21 puts out 60 peak amps and the X250 only 20 peak amps.
    Puts out 60 amps? Don't think so. Read the salesy pitch again:

"Current Capacity: 60 amps peak per channel"

Let's do a little Jethro math. Rail voltage is likely between 60 and 70V. At 70V, that would be drawing over 8 kilowatts or about 65A AC from the wall. Using a 12 amp fuse and a 15 amp power cord!

They are most likely referring to the theoretical capacity of the output devices. For example, my Stasis has thirty-two 150 watt output devices capable of 4800 watts output - for an amp rated at 100 watts /channel into 8 ohms and 200 watts / channel into 4 ohms.

Sorry for my lack of wording as I stand corrected.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Sorry for my lack of wording...
    No problem. I looked again at the Parasound features page which verified my guess. Note this:

"16 beta-matched 15 amp, 60 MHz bipolar output transistors"

Since it requires a pair of transistors to conduct a signal, multiply 16 X 15 X 0.5 for total output and halve that again for the per channel result. That's how they got the 60 amp per channel total capacity - as stated in terms of what that many devices could deliver.

By contrast, Pass states the current output in terms of what the power supply can actually deliver. Note the wording on page 5 of the manual.

Both answers are *right*, but not comparative.

Suspended
    I would recommend a preamp with true balanced circuitry to pair with the X250. Also, think of how your amp sounds and stay open minded to a Pass preamp. I'd love to get an X1, it's supposed to be not as warm as the current models, I don't personally find my set up overly warm, the X1 is also said to be a bit more transparent. I'd be willing to bet you'd like a XP10 Larry.

Sometimes upgrading cables/cord can be as much of an improvement as upgrading a component. Cables can be expensive but depending on the improvement can be well worth the expense.

I am open to a SS preamp and have looked at a couple of used X1's. I am leaning more to a Pass pre due to synergy. If it was a year from now I would have jumped on one of those X1's.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

I think you are headed in the right direction, Raven with a Pass preamp. That synergy is all too important. But don't sleep on cables man as they are just as important in delivering all that synergy.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    He's definitely headed in the right direction and on the right street with the x250. I mentioned the x150.5 to the wife on the way to the beach today and she didn't say no. There is one on Audiogon and it's only about 45 minutes away, but it might be too soon after my car purchase to push it too hard.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Jack, there is another guy selling his X250 for about $2650. Let me know if you are interested, I will PM you his email. The unit has been checked out by Pass Labs and they know the guy as I called Pass about the unit. He is supposedly in the audio industry. He is selling it because he wants to move up the the X350.

Stay away from the older X150 (not the 150.5). Pass Labs told me that the old X150 is not the same as the X250 and above. It does not sound the same and there are different electronics in it.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    Jack you might consider the Pass integrated amp, it's 150x2 into 8 ohms. I would like to hear Pass and Dyn.

In case my prior post gave the wrong impression on Pass preamps I want to share a response to an email I sent to my Pass dealer. Despite his response, a 2 chassis preamp by Pass at under $2k still has to be a deal, that's what I see the X1 at on Audiogon. I'm sure it's no slouch, it just sounds like large improvements were put into the XP10.
    Hi Bryan,

It’s good to hear from you again. I’ll be happy to help with anything I can.

The XP-10 is actually better than the old three-chassis Pass Labs X0.2, and the X0.2 was the upgrade from the X-1—that’s how good the XP-10 is!

I’ve helped many hundreds of people own and enjoy PASS preamps, and I’ve never heard of anyone that preferred the sound of the X-1 over the XP-10.

In some ways the X-1 is more transparent than the XP-10, but the X-1 is also not as smooth, has less resolution, has more noise, less bass, and does not image as well as the XP-10.

Jack, there is another guy selling his X250 for about $2650. Let me know if you are interested, I will PM you his email. The unit has been checked out by Pass Labs and they know the guy as I called Pass about the unit. He is supposedly in the audio industry. He is selling it because he wants to move up the the X350.

Stay away from the older X150 (not the 150.5). Pass Labs told me that the old X150 is not the same as the X250 and above. It does not sound the same and there are different electronics in it.
    Thanks for the warning about the older x150's. I like the idea of being able to see the X150.5 before buying. This unit is supposed to be less than 6 months old and in mint condition. I'll also save on the shipping. I will check out the x250, thanks for the link.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

Suspended
    Jack, what will you use for a preamp?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    . I would like to hear Pass and Dyn.
    I will say the I am totally impressed with the synergy of Pass and Dynaudio. I have an older series and a more affordable series than the contour. The X150.5 makes my lowly Audience 60's sound like much more than they should for their original retail price. While I do want to upgrade someday I will say that I am totally impressed by what these speakers can do with this amp on them. I will say for sure that this amp on them has taken the refinement of the speaker themselves as far as the way the sound now up several notches over anything in my system in the past or any other time I have ever heard this speaker. I would be willing to say that the Pass 150.5 has taken my small Audience 60's to a level much higher than all of us would ever have thought possible.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Jack, what will you use for a preamp?
    I'm not sure. I have an older Audio Research LS8 pre that has been in the closet for awhile that I would hope to sound good with the Pass. I could also use my existing Anthem as a pre if I need to. I'd like to take my time and try some other preamps both SS and tubed to see what sounds best.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

Suspended
    As preamp for Pass I'd recommend going with a true balanced unit as to take advantage of Pass's balanced symetery technology. The X1 may not be on par with the XP10 but as a two chassis unit, and with Pass stamped on it, I'd suspect it is still a good performer. I'd be interested in hearing how the ARC sounds with the
    X250, I personally feel the two have quite different sonic characters and may not have synergy, but Frenchmon has a friend who matched ARC pre with a Mac amp and says it sounded really good, and that match surprised me as well, so you never know. I suppose first thing is to get the amp and to see if you even like it .

I can't really imagine not liking the Pass, it may be a matter of getting a pre that has synergy with the Pass.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

On my short list of preamps are Pass, BAT, CJ, Atma-Sphere and AR. Hopefully in 1 year there will be some nice used preamps on the market. I am hoping to get $1K for my Van Alstine preamp and keep my budget for a used one at about $2K.

I want one of these-

Atma-Sphere music systems, inc.

Atma-Sphere MP-3 by Todd Warnke

I could always use another room heater to go along with the Pass.

This is also on my short list-

PARASOUND JC-2 JC-2 (John Curl Design) PREAMP Recommended Component" 2013 - Stereophile-CLASS A | Solid state | Nashville, Tennessee 37205 | AudiogoN - The High-end Audio Community
    Last edited by blackraven; 10-12-2013 at 02:56 PM.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

X150.5's and XA30.5's for sale

There a multiple of these great amps for sale at this very moment -- I get hot sweats thinking about it, such is my lust for one of these.

The low price for the X150.5 is $2500 with free State-side shipping: a very good deal, (here). For the XA30.5, $2895, (here) which is also bargain (always assuming the seller is legit of course).

I think I'd go for the XA30.5; I know it would have adequate power from my low to moderate volume listening. The XA30.5 is 30 wpc into 8 ohms class A BUT has an additional 6 dB headroom in AB mode. I.e. it's really a 120 wpc amplifier.

I saw that XA30.5 for sale. It is a real bargain. Feanor, my Maggies rarely cross over from Class A to AB according to the Bias Meter on the front of my X250. Only on dynamic bass heavy music played at moderately loud levels does it cross over to AB.

By the way, I was looking at some reviews of Pass amps and came across this user review (posted below) comparing his Pass X150 to his Parasound A21 and Krell amps. I found it interesting that he is calling the A21 warm. I find it neutral compared to the slightly warmer sounding X250. This differenc f opinion may be due to the fact that the original X150 has different electronics than the X250. One thing that I have found with the X250 is that it is a little more laid back than the A21 and that high frequencies are better with the A21 in some respects. Cymbals are more prominent with the A21 and maybe a little more natural but the X250 is a bit smoother. This is consistent with a couple of reviews that I have read about the X250. I have been using the tweeter resistors on my Magnepans, I guess it is time to remove them.

Here is the review of the Pass, A21 and Krell-

"Pass X150 vs. Parasound Halo A21 & Krell KAV-400xi
    This is a consumer review of the Pass X150 stereo amplifier, compared and contrasted w/Parasound Halo A21 and Krell KAV-400xi.

Review System:

Preamp: Arcam A75+
    Amp: Pass Labs X150
    Universal Player: Denon DVD-2910
    Speakers: Dynaudio Audience 82's (frequency response rated 25hz-25khz)
    My ridiculously small room: 10' x 10' [I know I have broken all audiophile rules w/my choice of speaker]

I recently purchased the Pass X150 and had a 30-day, in-home trial. It is a 150 wpc amplifier that reportedly runs in pure class A up to 50 watts/channel. This is quite remarkable since most listeners never reach this level of power continuously. After the first 50 watts, it switches to class A/B operation. It runs pretty warm but I can touch the (large) heat sinks and not get burned. It seems even the fascia of the amp serves as a heat sink since it is sometimes warm as well. The front of the amp is very thick aluminum (?) on top of aluminum in a silver-gray finish. It is very utilitarian/masculine looking. Other amps may not want to pick a fight w/it based on appearance. The blue LED's indicating power/standby are a little annoying, if watching a movie, but can easily be covered w/a cloth resting on the protruded aluminum on the front. It's pretty hefty at about 60-70 lbs, for being the entry-level amp in the series. However, there is nothing entry-level about the sound.

THE BIG PICTURE

I tried to start this review discussing particular characteristics from bass to treble. But that just wouldn't be right; it is contrary to the nature of the amp.
    This is the defining characteristic of the X150; it has an overall sound of organic delivery and focuses on the whole of music. It doesn't favor any particular frequency range; in this way it doesn't seem to highlight any particular hi-fi characteristic. The presentation is of the music and that is this amp's concern. You may get better delineated bass from a Krell, which is brutal in the mids/highs (IMO). You may find more seductive midrange from tubed gear, which often rolls off the bass and highs. But consistency top-to-bottom, neutrality if-you-will, is this amps trademark. It will reveal the "character" of components upstream/downstream; this includes the recordings themselves.

Some may think this amp does hi-fi imaging/soundstaging. If by that they mean, it has a convincingly large soundstage and pinpoint imaging, they're right. However, if the recording isn't well sorted, that's how it comes through the X150, while preserving the musical enjoyment. On good recordings all of the placement cues are there, w/solid life-sized images and a walk-in-and-around 3-dimensionality. The stage is not forward (in front of the plane of the speakers), nor recessed (behind the plane of the speakers). It seems, once again, neutral; starting at the plane of the speakers and extending to the sides and back. It's stage is both wide and deep.

The X150 does have superior soundstage depth compared to other amps I've had in my system. More recently I reviewed the Parasound A21 in my system (all other components/accessories the same). I like the A21; it is an overall good performer, but I had reservations about transparency (compared to my 50 wpc Arcam integrated). Having installed the Pass amp my observations seem to be confirmed in this regard. Because of the Pass amps transparency there seems to be more of an invitation to walk through the soundstage and around the performers. I wouldn't say its like holography, per se, since the images are focused; however, the images don't seem "fat", for lack of a better word, as they did w/the Parasound. This may be the result of perceived added warmth w/the Parasound. On the other hand, the Pass doesn't give the impression of bleached/pale images as I feel Krell does.

Which brings us to tonality. If Krell is winter and Parasound Halo is summer, then Pass Labs is spring and fall. That's my kind of weather! It neither jolts you to tears of pain when listening to violins, nor makes females sound somewhat "fat". It is simply a refined and smooth sounding amp, that portrays tonal colors and shadings accurately w/o going to extremes. By smooth I mean, there's not a gritty/grainy characteristic to the sound. That happened sometimes w/my Arcam on its own at louder levels, probably due to clipping. The Parasound also is smooth like the Pass Labs, but w/the added warmth.

It seems like I've been beating up on Krell. So I just want to say I haven't heard better bass from another amp than the Krell. The detail and power in the bass from this thing was outright astonishing from the diminutive-sized amp. It does have the edge over the Pass in this regard. The Pass and the Parasound I thought were pretty comparable in the bass.

CONCLUSION

The Pass Labs X150 is a coherent, neutral, powerful, smooth, 3-dimensional, musically satisfying solid-state amp. This is the best I have heard in my system. I would specifically recommend it for those who want their systems to present music as a whole and be as neutral as possible (as opposed to those who like to dissect, or those who want an amp with added character). It does all of the hi-fi things one would expect from a dedicated amp, but in a civilized and even-handed way. I would recommend the Parasound A21 for someone who has a leaner sounding system. The Krell sound I think goes best w/a system that is a little warmer/juicier in nature.

These are all good components; but the Pass worked best in my system. And, yep, I'm keeping it. YMMV"
    Feanor likes this.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Yeah that's the way I felt about my Pass. I will say that I have heard a lot of amplifiers over the years and by far the Pass amps are the best to my ears and most likely be where I stay with my amp selections if I ever change from my 150.5, I just don't see the point going away from the sound I love. I love the way the Pass makes music, not just noise!!!

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Very interesting comments & review.

Transparency, air, and palpability are my top priorities in an amp; at the same time I hope for reasonably tight bass, smooth, extended highs, and good dynamics. Warmth and a "liquid" mid-range aren't so important. The Pass Labs sound like they're up my alley.

Interestingly my Class D Audio SDS amp has all of these good things in decent measure except the smooth highs; it's highs are bright and can be quite shrill on some recordings.

In good conscience I shouldn't spend more than $1200 or so on an amp, but I might be tempted to go as high as $2000 for an X150. While it might not have the finesse of the 150.5, it apparently has the Pass characteristics.

Thanks for posting that Raven! I really enjoyed that! the Krell is a different type of amp in my opinion from the Parasound and the Pass.

On another note Raven....you should give some thought about paring your Pass with a tubed preamp! Not one as warm as the Pass, more like a ARC tubed preamp would do the trick. I really like Peabodys Pass amp and you have one as well....very good choice. Try a tubed preamp with it.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Suspended
    I would talk with some one tech savvy or an Atmosphere user before buying one to use with solid state just to make sure impedance etc. would work, the OTL are quite different animals.

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    Thanks for posting that Raven! I really enjoyed that! the Krell is a different type of amp in my opinion from the Parasound and the Pass.

On another note Raven....you should give some thought about paring your Pass with a tubed preamp! Not one as warm as the Pass, more like a ARC tubed preamp would do the trick. I really like Peabodys Pass amp and you have one as well....very good choice. Try a tubed preamp with it.
    I like the idea of a tube preamp. I like what tubes bring to the table but I also wonder about the synergy between a Pass amp and a Pass preamp.

That review I posted, the guy says that the A21 is warm. I find that the X250 is warmer than the A21 in my system. The big diffence between the 2 amps is transparency and air. The A21 just does not have nearly as much. Resolution and texture of the music is also better with the Pass.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP