Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    Just for curiosity sake. What other amps would you put in the Pass Labs league? Maybe that's a question with too many variables. I would put Bryston, Ayre and Krell on a ladder a couple steps lower. They are the only brands I've listened to so far.
    Bryston, Krell, maybe Parasound JC's, and various other less well-know marques such as MBL would be in the same league of s/s amps as Pass Labs. However the one in particular that I would like to hear is Ayre.

I would speculate that the Ayre X-5xe vs. the X150.5 would be slighty warmer, less bright on the top end, but maybe a tad less transparent and dynamic. I'd for sure like to confirm that though.

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    Hi Harley...I got the wrong amp.

The xs-300 is $85k...not the Xs-350.5...my bad

Reno Hi-Fi

But with all that, you focused on the review rather than my point which is All those amps are in the same league as far as hifi is concerned. All those amps are great! All those amps have the highest and best engineers, all those amps are built like tanks. All those amps have the highest performance. None of the amps are perfect. It becomes a matter of system matching and preference at that level. Sure you are biased towards Pass Labs, thats understandable but there are trade offs with each and every one of those amps. I would be happy with any one of those amps. And yes....Just because an amp cost $100k and another amp cost $75k they can be considered in the same league.
    I don't think that you are being fair to Harley by calling him biased towards Pass Labs. That would indicate that he can't find any other amps appealing besides Pass, and that is not what he has indicated so far. Should we say you are biased towards Vincent, certainly not. You can still appreciate the products that other companies produce. Now our old friend RGA we could probably say was biased towards Audio Note.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

I am not biased toward anything, I just know that for the sound character that I have searched for for many years the Pass designs seem to fit this sound the best out of what I have heard. And you are right when it gets up to that price area a difference of $50,000 does not guaranty better. But my point is that the reviewer should have stated that his reviews for for a certain price max and under and stated that there are better versions of Pass and Plinius designs out there that might be better than anything he had heard in that whole test by a far margin. i would think if I were to do a test like that I would set a price maximum and try to find the "reference" top level products up to the max price and if there were any that were not the best that particular company has to offer I would take note of that mentally and otherwise. I think for a audio reviewer it is a duty to notice and take note of things like this in a review as to not misinform potential customers of these companies of what they can get if they are looking for absolute reference price is no object audio products. I know that most or all of us here have our personal set limitations of how much we can spend on audio and keep everything else going and not be divorced and broke so most of this does not apply to us. I know I love my Pass amp and feel fortunate to be able to find one at a used/more affordable price and I might not ever see myself going up to the XA or XS level and that is fine with me because in my everyday life my X series does my music due diligence. I just think some reviewers don't realize that they have a duty to inform and educate people on products and when true reference products are called for in a review get true reference products and not entry level products facing reference products. That was all I was trying to say.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

I don't think that you are being fair to Harley by calling him biased towards Pass Labs. That would indicate that he can't find any other amps appealing besides Pass, and that is not what he has indicated so far. Should we say you are biased towards Vincent, certainly not. You can still appreciate the products that other companies produce. Now our old friend RGA we could probably say was biased towards Audio Note.
    Well yes I am biased towards Vincent some what. But that does not mean I cant find other amps that are just as good...because I have. I meant no disrespect.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by harley .guy07 View Post
    I am not biased toward anything, I just know that for the sound character that I have searched for for many years the Pass designs seem to fit this sound the best out of what I have heard.
    Well that is biased Harley. Nothing wrong with that

And you are right when it gets up to that price area a difference of $50,000 does not guaranty better. But my point is that the reviewer should have stated that his reviews for for a certain price max and under and stated that there are better versions of Pass and Plinius designs out there that might be better than anything he had heard in that whole test by a far margin. i would think if I were to do a test like that I would set a price maximum and try to find the "reference" top level products up to the max price and if there were any that were not the best that particular company has to offer I would take note of that mentally and otherwise. I think for a audio reviewer it is a duty to notice and take note of things like this in a review as to not misinform potential customers of these companies of what they can get if they are looking for absolute reference price is no object audio products. I know that most or all of us here have our personal set limitations of how much we can spend on audio and keep everything else going and not be divorced and broke so most of this does not apply to us. I know I love my Pass amp and feel fortunate to be able to find one at a used/more affordable price and I might not ever see myself going up to the XA or XS level and that is fine with me because in my everyday life my X series does my music due diligence. I just think some reviewers don't realize that they have a duty to inform and educate people on products and when true reference products are called for in a review get true reference products and not entry level products facing reference products. That was all I was trying to say.
    I agree...the guy should have been more up front with the reviews.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    Well yes I am biased towards Vincent some what. But that does not mean I cant find other amps that are just as good...because I have. I meant no disrespect.
    According to the dictionary:

Biased is an inclination of temperament or outlook to present or hold a partial perspective and a refusal to consider the possible merits of alternative points of view.

You don't have a bias and neither does Harley. You may favor Vincent or Musical Fidelity or Music Hall.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Quote Originally Posted by harley .guy07 View Post
    I have actually heard of that Chesky disk from a friend that is also into this hobby. He said it helped him immensely with system setup when he moved the last time. I am glad you brought that up because I was going to order that disk back then and totally forgot to do so. I will have to get on that and see how my system measures up too.

I just listened to the Chesky disc with the Pass and it truly is a marvel at how good the recordings are. It has me rethinking if I really need a new preamp like the X1 or should I just stick with my VA preamp which sounds spectacular. I think that the X1 would just give me a little more detail and resolution with a little more air and TP.

Amazon.com: Ultimate Demonstration Disc: Chesky Records' Guide to Critical Listening: Music

I also listened to this Chesky disc that has some of the same songs that is on the demonstration disc.

Amazon.com: World's Greatest Audiophile Vocal Recordings: Music

It is a Hybrid SACD and the CD layer is phenomenol. I wish I had a high end SACD player because I can't imagine it sounding any better.

I am now thinking that maybe I should save my money and buy a pair of Magnepan 3.7's next summer.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

yeah I actually found a friend here that actually had that disk and let me borrow it until mine arrived and I can say the same of my system. for me not having upgraded speakers yet my system did really well in this test overall. I don't think it had the depth of some of the super systems out there but for the speakers I am currently running it did rather well and way better than I thought it would do honestly. Raven, that's actually how I feel about my Preamp as well. I wounder how a Pass pre would do with my system but with the Nuforce doing so well its hard to put that up on the list of things to do when I have other things that I need ot address first(speakers for one). Not to say that my speakers are bad because they aren't at all I just believe that the rest of my gear has risen to the point that my speakers are now the bottleneck.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Suspended
    When I went all balanced it was a nice improvement in control and dynamics. I know they say there's a conversion to balanced when using single ended but when I put the last step, going balanced from CDP to preamp things really improved. Read the Pass manual about the patented balanced circuit, it seems to make sense to take advantage of it for optimum performance.

I personally would think the X1 would provide as much improvement as the X250 over an AVA amp. The X1 is older but it's a two chassis quality piece. .

According to the dictionary:

Biased is an inclination of temperament or outlook to present or hold a partial perspective and a refusal to consider the possible merits of alternative points of view.

You don't have a bias and neither does Harley. You may favor Vincent or Musical Fidelity or Music Hall.
    Thank Jack. Good to know.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information