Pass Labs B1 preamp build

Printable View

• 01-01-2016, 10:59 PM
    blackraven
    Bug Head is great when you want to listen to a whole album but you can load different songs. You can also load several albums or play lists if you click on the different colored bars. It's sound quality is outstanding.

What is your opinion on the sound?
  • 01-02-2016, 05:53 AM
    Jack in Wilmington
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    Bug Head is great when you want to listen to a whole album but you can load different songs. You can also load several albums or play lists if you click on the different colored bars. It's sound quality is outstanding.

I do like the sound very much. This is the first time I can really appreciate my 192/24 downloads. I might have to download some of my files that I have on the Dell to my HP. I could probably dump them onto a flashdrive, but I don't want to lose the sound quality.
  • 01-02-2016, 06:13 AM
    Feanor
    Quote:

I think Bug Head and/or HQ Player deserve their own thread.

Personally I can't run BH on my music computer because if just doesn't have the horsepower. HQP it might be able to manage but I haven't reconciled myself to paying the US$200 it costs.

At the same time I have no doubt that the things these programs do, i.e. oversampling and filtering are critical to the resulting sound. My Schiit Bifrost Multibit upgrade seems to demonstrate this: the Multibit upgrade provides oversampling and one particular filtering approach, i.e. so-called "closed form" filtering. The results are significantly, even dramatically, different and better than the good performance of the previous Uber upgrade to the Bifrost I was using.

As I understand the HQP provides a 'closed form filtering' option amongst others. According to some reports, BH employs math-intensive oversampling, perhaps even "quadratic spline" interpolation while oversampling of say, 44.1kHz to 188.4 or 352.8; this would certainly explain its computer resource demand. "Quadratic spline" interpolation come remarkably close to recreating the actual missing higher resolution data but requires complicated math ... https://youtu.be/j_jBK7zJ1vU
  • 01-02-2016, 07:15 AM
    Jack in Wilmington
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    I think Bug Head and/or HQ Player deserve their own thread.

Personally I can't run BH on my music computer because if just doesn't have the horsepower. HQP it might be able to manage but I haven't reconciled myself to paying the US$200 it costs.

At the same time I have no doubt that the things these programs do, i.e. oversampling and filtering are critical to the resulting sound. My Schiit Bifrost Multibit upgrade seems to demonstrate this: the Multibit upgrade provides oversampling and one particular filtering approach, i.e. so-called "closed form" filtering. The results are significantly, even dramatically, different and better than the good performance of the previous Uber upgrade to the Bifrost I was using.

As I understand the HQP provides a 'closed form filtering' option amongst others. According to some reports, BH employs math-intensive oversampling, perhaps even "quadratic spline" interpolation while oversampling of say, 44.1kHz to 188.4 or 352.8; this would certainly explain its computer resource demand. "Quadratic spline" interpolation come remarkably close to recreating the actual missing higher resolution data but requires complicated math ... https://youtu.be/j_jBK7zJ1vU

You're right. I'll get one started shortly. Sorry
  • 01-02-2016, 08:48 AM
    blackraven
    Feanor, I know a guy that can sell you HQP for about $80 Euro's. Let me know if you are interested.
  • 01-02-2016, 02:33 PM
    Feanor
    Quote:

Feanor, I know a guy that can sell you HQP for about $80 Euro's. Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks, BR; first I'll try the free, time-limited download to see if it runs decently on my old Athlon dual core.

I can't help thinking that the ideal complement for HQP or Bug Head for that matter is a high quality NOS DAC, since oversampling in the DAC itself is superfluous with these programs.

I have to say, though, that I'm very impressed with the job my Bifrost Multibit is doing. Comments from users of the Schiit Multibit models usually include the description, "detailed", but the adjective doesn't quite do full justice: it's more details and more realistic in terms of timbres, decays, and spacial info.
  • 01-02-2016, 03:00 PM
    blackraven
    HQP is demanding. You may may not be able to upsample. My I3 computer could not do DSD well with HQ player. You will need to use the least demanding settings with it. It does sound better than JR but BH is in another class.

BH does well with all the DAC's that I have tried it with. It improves the sound with the PS Audio DSD, Luxman, Hugo Chord, and an AQ Dragon Fly, so I have no doubt that it will improve the sound with your DAC. I would love to hear your DAC. I am sure that it sounds great.
  • 01-13-2016, 09:28 PM
    blackraven
    Here is a link to images of my Pass Buid-

Nelson Pass B-1 preamp kit

I tried post pic's here but they would not up load.