Formerly Mark_IDT

Paradigm X-30 instead of a preamp would it work???

I was thinking when using a power amp for subs sense everything is separate and a preamp really only controls volume would a paradigm X-30 work as a preamp? If it could that would be awesome cause it would knock out getting a crossover. What you all think would it work?

No ...

Quote Originally Posted by M4RK_23
    I was thinking when using a power amp for subs sense everything is separate and a preamp really only controls volume would a paradigm X-30 work as a preamp? If it could that would be awesome cause it would knock out getting a crossover. What you all think would it work?
    I have an X-30, (not in use at the moment), but, no, it won't work for one essential reason. The attenuator on the unit controls only the sub level, not the high-pass output.

Formerly Mark_IDT
    I don't need it to control the high pass output volume I have a receiver to power my studio 100's this will only send a signal to my power amp for my subs. I think it will work.

Ah! I see

Quote Originally Posted by M4RK_23
    I don't need it to control the high pass output volume I have a receiver to power my studio 100's this will only send a signal to my power amp for my subs. I think it will work.
    Sorry, I misunderstood you. You are correct: it will work fine to control a passive sub powered by a separate power amp. Indeed, this is what the X-30 was designed to do.

Out of curiosity, do you intend to use the high-pass in the X-30? That is, send the signal from the receivers "Pre Out"to the X-30, then back from the X-30's high-pass outputs to the receiver's "Main In". If your receiver is equipped with these connectors, this works very well to reduce the overlap of the sub and main speakers' bass range; this often helps a lot with integration, plus it reduces the load on the main speakers, (though that won't be a problem with the Studio 100's).

Formerly Mark_IDT
    I will use the high pass if I can not sure if my marantz sr-8000 has the outs though would have to pull it out and see. Someday I will have a separate preamp/amp for my mains though and if not now it will see use then. This is gonna save me money to use elsewhere sweet!!!

Thread Information