AR Newbie Registered Member

Preamp for an old Technics turntable

First of all, I don't know too much about audio equipment--everything I have I've lucked into in one way or another.

Currently, I'm powering a pair of Aural Ersatz speakers with a Rotel RB-980BX power amp. I play all of my music digitally from the computer, and so I've never had any use for a preamp with a volume control.

Recently, I came into a good amount of vinyl and an old Technics SL-B100 turntable in great condition. So I'm in the market for a preamp. I'd rather not spend much more than $100 if that's possible (is it possible?). I'm a bit in the dark here as to what I need, or what I can get. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Piece o' cake. You could just start out with something like the Audio-Technica AT-PEQ3. See it at needledoctor.com or lpgear.com.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    You could try a Kenwood Basic C-1 pre-amp. You can usually find one in E-Bay around your budget. I have a couple of them and they are pretty good. The C-2 has a better phono section but it usually goes for bit more than your $100 budget.

thekid's post reminds me I should clarify my own post. We're talking about two different options. The C1 or C2 proposed by thekid would plug into your Rotel. The phono preamp I proposed would plug into your sound card.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Yes, I should have been more clear. I won't be running the turntable through the sound card, as Windows (yes, I run Windows) no longer allows the input monitor volume to be adjusted. I have a phono preamp similar to the Audio-Technica that I used years ago.

Thanks for the posts! I'm looking into the Kenwood models. Any other suggestions would be welcome.

For a stereo system, I would suggest the Adcom SLC-505 (passive pre), GFP-555 (active pre), GFP-565 (active pre), GTP-400 (active pre with tuner). I own a Kenwood Basic C2 and can vouch for its quality. I don't own an Adcom pre, anymore, but I have owned all of those I listed, except the GTP-400.

I see now there's a Bellari VP130 on Audiogon for $149. Those have an output control.
    Last edited by 02audionoob; 08-19-2009 at 03:39 PM.

Thread Information