Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Forum Regular Registered Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    11

    Opinion: Pioneer SX-780 vs Technics SU-V2

    Anybody know anything about either of these amps? Be glad for some opinions!

    Which of these two amps - Pioneer SX-780 or Technics SU-V2 - do people regard more highly?

  2. #2
    Shostakovich fan Feanor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    7,844

    Some info

    Quote Originally Posted by Retorterous
    Anybody know anything about either of these amps? Be glad for some opinions!

    Which of these two amps - Pioneer SX-780 or Technics SU-V2 - do people regard more highly?
    Both of these are mid-range models, about 40-45 watts per channel. A little info can be found for them at these links ...
    The former, the Pioneer, is actually a receiver, i.e. has a tuner, and is slightly older than the Technics which is an integrated amp.

    Which to choose is more a matter of the condition, functional and cosmetic, of the individual units than anything else; after that, the price. All equal, I would prefer the Pioneer.

  3. #3
    Forum Regular Registered Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    11
    Ah thanks.

    Yes - i'm leaning towards the Pioneer myself. Both are in very good condition - but the Pioneer is immaculate. I've also read that 70s Pioneer SX models have a lovely warm sound with good bass performance. Also, thanks to a Darlington power pack, they sound a lot more powerful than 45 wpc. Encouragingly, I read that, apart from power output, the SX-780s sound is not much different from the top-of-the-line SX1980 (apparently the 780 mids aren't as prominant, but with the price difference, what do you expect).

    I can't find much on the Technics, but what I can find is mixed. Some swear by it, while others were relieved once they changed amps. Personal preference plays a vital role obviously.

  4. #4
    Forum Regular blackraven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    4,774
    I owned a 1970's SX receiver and Technics SU-7600 integrated amp which I still have.
    I still love that Technics. It has a great clean sound and puts out more power than its rated 41wpc.

    When buying these older electronics just remember to check and make sure all the knobs work well and that they don't have too much oxidation, especially the volume knobs which will manifest as static when you turn the knobs or loss of volume. They can be cleaned with tuner cleaner but the oxidation usually returns.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp, Pass X-1 Preamp
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Van Alstine Ultra Hybrid Tube Preamp and Ultra Hybrid Tube DAC
    Martin Logan Original Dynamo Sub
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

  5. #5
    Forum Regular budgetaudio76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    308
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    I owned a 1970's SX receiver and Technics SU-7600 integrated amp which I still have.
    I still love that Technics. It has a great clean sound and puts out more power than its rated 41wpc.

    When buying these older electronics just remember to check and make sure all the knobs work well and that they don't have too much oxidation, especially the volume knobs which will manifest as static when you turn the knobs or loss of volume. They can be cleaned with tuner cleaner but the oxidation usually returns.

    hey thanks for this post ibought a marantz pm 325 from early 80s and i heard static when changing volume. as well as the right channel giving out but still plays when volume past halfway. i wonder why.

  6. #6
    Forum Regular blackraven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    4,774
    BudgetAudio, buy some tuner cleaner from radioshack along with foam Qtips and take apart the unit and pull the knobs off. Spray the tuner cleaner into the control knob contacts and clean with the Qtips till all the grime and oxydation comes off. This should fix the problem but you may need to repeat it once or twice a year.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp, Pass X-1 Preamp
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Van Alstine Ultra Hybrid Tube Preamp and Ultra Hybrid Tube DAC
    Martin Logan Original Dynamo Sub
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

  7. #7
    Forum Regular Registered Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Both of these are mid-range models, about 40-45 watts per channel. A little info can be found for them at these links ...
    The former, the Pioneer, is actually a receiver, i.e. has a tuner, and is slightly older than the Technics which is an integrated amp.

    Which to choose is more a matter of the condition, functional and cosmetic, of the individual units than anything else; after that, the price. All equal, I would prefer the Pioneer.

    Leaning towards the Pioneer SX-780 but just came across a perfect condition Sansui G7500. These are rated at 90wpc so are obvioulsy more powerful than the 45wpc Sx-780, but do you know how do they sound - are they on par or better than the Pioneers?

  8. #8
    Forum Regular blackraven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    4,774
    Man, I used to love all the 70's sansui receivers. I didnt have the money back then.. They made great stuff. What year is that receiver? I'd probably go with the Sansui gear.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp, Pass X-1 Preamp
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Van Alstine Ultra Hybrid Tube Preamp and Ultra Hybrid Tube DAC
    Martin Logan Original Dynamo Sub
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

  9. #9
    Forum Regular Registered Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    Man, I used to love all the 70's sansui receivers. I didnt have the money back then.. They made great stuff. What year is that receiver? I'd probably go with the Sansui gear.
    It was manufactured from 1978-81. I wanted it, but postage from the US was $195 to Australia. It went for US$212 - quite reasonable i thought.

    http://www.classicaudio.com/value/san/index.html

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest AudioReview Articles

Hot Deals

Latest News

AudioReview on Facebook