Forum Regular

Thumbs down Onkyo has come... (A-9355)

And for now I'm not satisfied at all... maybe the speakers are really gone (I notice a 'hum' and a bit of echo if I turn up too much the volume) but even on headphones the sound isn't really clean at all. I have a pair of high quality Goldring headphones and I must say that they sound better driven by the soundcard!

For now it's just ok but hey they sell it for 350 euros! (like Marantz or NAD amplifiers). Anyway I've payed only 211 euros for it. For those money it's very nice.

I have now ordered a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze BR2 (I will get them in maximum 10 days), I really hope that it can drive them well (recommended amplifier 30-100W, 6 ohm... does not sound that really efficient ).

P.S.: It does sound better than yesterday and power cable influence its sound lot (I have bought Hama silver/copper 15 mm, they sound thin... I had to go back to Van Den Hul Skyline 20 mm. Now ordered 3 meters of Van Den Hul Snowline).

For now it's a 6.
    Last edited by Tetsuro; 12-20-2007 at 03:38 AM.

Forum Regular
    It's a toy. Not Hi-Fi at all, with headphones I hear a lot of noise and compressed sound. Not airy at all.

Hmmm ... burn-in?

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuro
    And for now I'm not satisfied at all... maybe the speakers are really gone (I notice a 'hum' and a bit of echo if I turn up too much the volume) but even on headphones the sound isn't really clean at all. I have a pair of high quality Goldring headphones and I must say that they sound better driven by the soundcard!

For now it's just ok but hey they sell it for 350 euros! (like Marantz or NAD amplifiers). Anyway I've payed only 211 euros for it. For those money it's very nice.

I have now ordered a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze BR2 (I will get them in maximum 10 days), I really hope that it can drive them well (recommended amplifier 30-100W, 6 ohm... does not sound that really efficient ).

P.S.: It does sound better than yesterday and power cable influence its sound lot (I have bought Hama silver/copper 15 mm, they sound thin... I had to go back to Van Den Hul Skyline 20 mm. Now ordered 3 meters of Van Den Hul Snowline).

For now it's a 6.
    As discussed in an other current thread, burn-in is a factor for amplfiers. I have a Panasonic digital receiver that need hundreds of hours before losing excessive sharpness. I would say give the Onkyo at least 50 hours before coming to any final conclusions.

Though I haven't experienced it myself, but many people do find that power cords make a difference on digital amps.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    As discussed in an other current thread, burn-in is a factor for amplfiers. I have a Panasonic digital receiver that need hundreds of hours before losing excessive sharpness. I would say give the Onkyo at least 50 hours before coming to any final conclusions.

Though I haven't experienced it myself, but many people do find that power cords make a difference on digital amps.
    But this is not sharp at all, to the contrary it is noiseful.

Uhm.. take it with a grain of salt since mine father's Denon AV receiver is FAR worse (with headphones). Maybe I'm asking too much. The difference from the Denon to the Onkyo is like night and day.

Next Month (after received and a bit burned-in the MAs) I will post more impressions.

I will be grateful if anyone would post experience with their amplifier's headphone out.
    Last edited by Tetsuro; 12-20-2007 at 04:52 AM.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I have a couple of questions. What are you using for a source, cd player or turntable? Are you using the amp with the Pure Direct mode? If you have turned up the bass and the loudness is on you could have some strange effects. The only change I noticed with mine was a brief brightening to the sound which settled down in the first 24 hours of noticing it.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

that hum sounds like a ground loop of somekind...
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    If you primarily listen to headphones, you may want to invest in a separate headphone amplifier. The headphone amp section in most receivers and integrated amps these days are not the best. From what I've read, I think Marantz may spend a little extra on the headphone sections in their cd players, amps and receivers, but I doubt the headphone amp is the Onkyo's strength.

Forum Regular
    Guys it was the ****ING audio card. I've invested in a new system (probably less good, at least I've some space and consumptions back) without knowing about that, Now I'm running from the integrated card and it's 'ok' (need to replace even it, I'm going for this: http://www.ediroleurope.com/europe/p...p=203&code=409 and this for the linkage: http://www.strumentimusicali.net/pro...---2-rca.html). Noise isn't a problem for now and no more hum.

Today I auditioned some speakers and settled on Energy Speakers C-100 http://www.energy-speakers.com/v2/pr...age.php?id=294 (for 249 euros it seemed a good purchase) they seemed more balanced and less 'forward' than Polk Audio M30, The Bostons were really HORRIBLE.

Cancelled the order for the Bronze.

Cannot really say anything on the two since the Energys are breaking-in. The Tannoy were glorious anyway.

Mine bank account is broken.

P.S.: Hey the integrated audio from modern motherboards (HD Audio) does sound really good... I'm very happy of the progress they made. Probably I will wait for another month before changing the 'source',
    Last edited by Tetsuro; 12-20-2007 at 01:58 PM.

Forum Regular
    Definitely need an equalizer. Fortunately I got a working software equalizer (that don't cause distortions), Too much bass, too flat midrange and highs.

Have done this:
    31 Hz: -1 (db)
    62 Hz: -1
    125 Hz: 0
    250 Hz: +1
    500 Hz: +2
    1000 Hz: +3
    2000 Hz: +3
    4000 Hz: +3
    8000 Hz: +3
    16000 Hz: +3

The equalizer is fantastic for being just software, it is this: http://www.yohng.com/eq10.html

Maybe John you could try those settings, even if they are empirical since we have two different equipments (anyway I've done that with the headphones,maybe with the speakers I will have to go farther).
    I have found the Onkyo to be more warm than what I thought, eventually with the equalizer it lose some dullness.

Now waiting for a better source. Have ordered a professional soundcard, this: http://www.terratecproducer.it/prodo...ristiche.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuro
    Definitely need an equalizer. Fortunately I got a working software equalizer (that don't cause distortions), Too much bass, too flat midrange and highs.

Have done this:
    8000 Hz: +3
    16000 Hz: +3

The equalizer is fantastic for being just software, it is this: http://www.yohng.com/eq10.html

Maybe John you could try those settings, even if they are empirical since we have two different equipments (anyway I've done that with the headphones,maybe with the speakers I will have to go farther).
    I have found the Onkyo to be more warm than what I thought, eventually with the equalizer it lose some dullness.

Now waiting for a better source. Have ordered a professional soundcard, this: http://www.terratecproducer.it/prodo...ristiche.shtml

by the looks of what you've set in the equalizer it looks like your placement is kinda wrong...

are the speakers on a desk? if so, it could be that they kinda 'suck up' the highs, kill the mids and lows become muddy...

try decoupling them or so (using absorbing materials, it's doing the opposite of spikes. Try laying books under them (fat ones), it helped with my nephew too...

keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

I can't believe that you've been using a sound card as a reference.

At least use a CD player which is a fairly known quantity.

Forum Regular
    Bert that setting is for the headphones.
    I have placed rubbers under the speakers, if I place books I will get killed by mine wife.

Markw I'm running off by PC directly, I listen MP3s.. PC->Audiocard->Amplifier->Speakers (or Headphones).

Maybe I connect the speakers wrong?
    I connect 'H' Red and Black (+ -), there are two other ports as name 'L' Red Black (+ -).
    I plug only the 'H' (H's Red and Black plugs).

are there jumpers between the H & L plugs? the 2 pairs of binding posts (plugs) are for biwiring, or bi amping (which would be overkill for such bookshelves), don't worry if there are jumpers between them (jumpers: a connection between the H & L plugs...)

how do the speakers sound unequalized? Did the rubbers do something (well, they should have done something...)

Mind that most receivers, integrateds and pre's (unless you get in the esoteric class) don't have really good headphone amplifiers, so it's a bad way to know how an amp performs...

how are the speakers placed now? and did you use the port plugs? and do you think the sound (through the speakers) is good?

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Forum Regular
    The speakers to me sounds bad, to mine wife sounds good. When I rise the volume mine wife get angry (before she was the one that rised the volume). Sound is warm (too much maybe!), muted, balanced, vocals are a bit recessed, at high volume it get excessive booming and boxed.
    With the speakers I must go further with the equalizer to get out the mids and to lessen the lows, but mine wife doesn't like it so I leave as the headphones.

8000 Hz: +2
    16000 Hz: +2

I left the plugs inserted.

Doesn't live up those money.
    Last edited by Tetsuro; 12-23-2007 at 12:40 AM.

Forum Regular
    Onkyo A-9355 is going back, this amplifier is an insult for common sense. It's a toy, could not drive properly two different sets of speakers. Sound isn't clear at all, details are just average. The worst purchase I ever made on Hi-Fi components.
    Even Tannoys sounds bad with it. Aeron A2 http://www.audio4.it/vecchiosito/pag...aer_prodhf.htm was much better for just 230 euros,

Thread Information