Onkyo 605 heat

Printable View

• 12-31-2007, 12:15 PM
    KaneIsRaw13
    Onkyo 605 heat
    Hello all, I am looking into the onkyo 605, And I heard that it runs really hot, I have a cab where i want to put it and it is a very spacey cab, And I wanted to put my PS3 on the receiver because there are no other shelfs, Does anyone think this will cause the receiver to overhear easier?

And if you have the onkyo 605, Do you think it runs really hot?
  • 12-31-2007, 12:24 PM
    blackraven
    I dont have any experience with the 605, but if it does run hot, then putting anything on top of it is a bad idea. Heat is the enemy of electronics.
  • 12-31-2007, 01:40 PM
    L.J.
    I wouldn't put anything on top of it. I auditioned the 805 and these units get pretty hot.
  • 12-31-2007, 06:46 PM
    Mr Peabody
    A friend has the 605, it does get hot, especially if you don't give it ample ventilation. He didn't run his particularly hard and still had to rearrange his entertainment center to put the 605 where it could get more air.
  • 12-31-2007, 07:18 PM
    Jack in Wilmington
    Do you guys think it's the load the speakers put on the amp section? I plan on running mine with my mains running off my external amp. Maybe I'll check one out at Circuit City tomorrow. But I know I'll get better answers from you guys then from the salesman.
  • 12-31-2007, 07:43 PM
    Mr Peabody
    No, it's due to the Onkyo being a high current amp. In general amps need good ventilation. When you put them inside a cabinet that cuts a lot of air flow, then depending on what, or how much of an opening is in the back and if the cabinent has doors and are they closed while the amp is running...... all of these are factors on how hot the amp will get. When I saw the Adcom GFA 5400 in the store it was hot to the touch. I went ahead and bought it, I have it on a shelf with no front or back and maybe 12" of room above the amp, it only gets warm when driving it hard and I've never gotten it as hot as I noticed it in the store. You'd think they'd know better. You definitely wouldn't want to sit anything on top of the amp to block it's vents. I haven't seen a PS but I'd be more afraid of damaging it from the heat than the amp. The amp has heat syncs and made to withstand some heat but you'd be cooking that play station. I'd really recommend trying to rearrange things where the amp has room and nothing is stacked. If you have an external amp maybe you can sit it outside the rack some where.