Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Suspended

One Time Offer to help Dustin_Broke

This is going to start out as a serious thread, who knows where it will end up.

Dustin, first of all your Extremes and Sherwood combo is the best thing you have had up to now. We appreciate that you are seeking to have a better system but you have a problem. You are trying to create a Mark Levinson system with a KMart budget and mentality.

Don't ask me who Mark Levinson is, google it.

Keep in mind, like you have been doing for years now, replacing one set of $20 laptop speakers with another set of $20 laptop speakers results in a set of $20 laptop speakers. No real gain.

Now apply that same logic to $85 dollar Receivers. Replacing one $85 unit with another results in...you guessed it, just another $85 receiver.

So here is my One Time Offer, and I would think that a few others here will go along with this if you are serious. This offer is too good to pass up unless you really are the Ultimate Troll.

First, sell off all the toys you have accumulated over the last several years and save the money.

Second, enjoy the Sherwood-Extremes for a while and figure out what you like/dislike about what you hear.

Thirdly, while you are selling off the toys, and enjoying your current setup, save up some more money.

When you have saved enough money, no less than $600, you come back and let me know. More than $600 will be all the better. Christmas is coming, maybe your birthday too. Ask for cash and no gifts.

Once you have the money, I will configure 2 to 3 very musical 2 channel systems assuming you already have a CD Player which could be upgraded later. Also the configured systems will not include a Sub, which you can add later after learning what a decent system actually sounds like.

Here are all the rules for participation

1- No less Than $600

2- You must be Serious and really want to own a decent affordable system

3- After I give you suggestions, and hopefully a few others do the same, you can ask us NO MORE THAN 5 Questions about each component. Then you have to do the rest of the research on your own by reading as many product reviews and owner comments as you can find. With that acquired info, you will decide for yourself which items to buy based on what you learn, as well as features and qualities you desire and like.

4- With a list of components, Receiver, Integrated Amps, Separates, Speakers, and cables, you purchase a quality low budget system and start appreciating appropriate sound reproduction and forget about distorted techno thumping bass. Appreciate the more accurate reproduction of all instruments and vocals.

This is a One Time Offer only a Troll can refuse. If you don't start being serious, and listening to what has already been offered, we will all just STOP responding to any of your posts as well as request the same over at AudioKarma and anywhere else you keep jerking everyones chains.

What do you think? Time to get serious or do you wish to continue chasing the Peterbuilt dream with Tonka Toys?

It's a good idea but could use a bit of tweaking.

As I've said before, I'm familiar with that receiver and it's better than you give it credit for. Speakers make the most significant impact on the sound. Once he has decent speakers, then we can worry about better electronics to drive them. If he sticks with it, he could realize some really, really good sound with better speakers alone. I've heard some decent sounds emanate from this little receiver with other speakers..

My suggestion: You're on the right track about jettisoning the detritus he's got laying around and converting that into cash. Save that cash. don't but new toy speakers.

Then, whe he's got a few hundred dollars, not necessarily $600, he can get some decent speakers that will be happy with that receiver, maybe even a small subwoofer. Remember, from where he's coming from, a significant improvement isn't difficult, or even that expensive. Hell, that Polk sub/sat system I mentioned in an earlier sounded pretty durn good, particularly considering the whole she-bang cost less than $200., and that's less than a year ago I bought it.
    But, and it's a big but, he's got to show some self control and not pith away his $$$ on more "lateral" class speakers and he's got to be open to something a bit bigger than these tinny 4" wonders he's been shuffling around these past 6 years or so. There's no way in hell that these can be anything close to a "full range" system. If he can't make that committment, then all bets and offers are off.

Keep in mind that one of my favorite speakers, Sound Dynamics RTS-3's only "costed" $280 NIB a few years ago and, based on a 6 1/2" driver, aren't massively large and fit squarely in the bookshelf class. I'm sure similar values exist today. A few years ago I would have said Athena B-1's or B-2's but they no longer exist, either.

So, ladies and gentlemen, what speakers can you name in that same price/size/quality class?
    Last edited by markw; 07-12-2011 at 12:34 PM.

Romanticist Philosopher

Smile You don't need to spend that much for 2 channel

The Sony Bookshelf speaker Adam reviewed here is a great budget speaker.

http://reviews.audioreview.com/sony-...itorial-review

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SS-B3000-...0499314&sr=1-2

It can be driven easily with a receiver even though it is not overly sensitive and sounds fine. Just needs decent 8 ohm speakers and a common stereo receiver is just fine.

If he is looking for a Floorstander then Sony also has a very good value here.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SSF-5000-...0499414&sr=1-4

A powered sub like the Yamaha YST-SW216 is also a great buy and will fill out the bottom end.

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YST-SW2...0499200&sr=1-1
    I prefer my sex like my basketball, one on one, and with as little dribbling as possible.

Forum Regular
    Paradigm Atoms pair with a sub. My friend has this set up in his home office. Fills a moderate size room nicely.

Mutant from table 9
    Sorry to tell you guys, but if he actually posts anything in this thread it will be the first time that I am aware of him ever posting anything in a thread he didn't start. I don't think he has ever posted in a thread he did not start.

By way of example, you can see he has already unlocked his bullsh!it receiver thread and is continuing to post his banal tripe.

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

then I suggest we ignore him until he shows the decency to respond to this thread.

I'll tell him.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    then I suggest we ignore him until he shows the decency to respond to this thread.

I'll tell him.
    Sounds good to me.

Robert, sorry but my thought was to get him to the point of belief...and no return to lateral moves.

Mark, I know the Sherwood is well reviewed and gave him kudos a few times. But at $600, we could give him suggestions that would put him at entry level good sound.

Just for example, he could put this Integrated
    http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...mber=NAC316BEE

With either of these two speakers
    http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NHT2
    http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MOCAR2

$25 for speaker cables
    http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AQCV1

Under $25 for ICs to whatever CDP he has
    http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=TRS3AU

Great Sound and no turning back for $600 smackers and that was just 1 quick 5 minute search.

Mutant from table 9
    For $600 anyone of us could put together a two channel music system that would "wow" 98% of the population, whether new, used, vintage, CD based, iPod/digital based, or vinyl based. My current garage system (Akai - A/D/S - KLH) cost me $55 bucks total until recently when I added a Velodyne sub ($200) and new stylus ($35). Lay people hear it and and are like "Daaammmmn!" (You guys would tell me - rightly - everything that is wrong with it.)

My point is Spanky doesn't actually realize the wealth of information he has at his fingertips here.

Mutant from table 9
    And I'll play, but I'm throwing in a sub since subs hook alot of nascent audiophiles:

Boston Acoustics CS 26 6 1/2 inch book shelf from $160/pair. Crutchfield says its discontinued, but there are plenty of sellers out there still. Crutchfield just had the best link.
    http://www.crutchfield.com/p_065CS26...ures_and_specs

Dayton 12" 150 watt sub - $160 http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-635

Yamaha power - a solid 4 ohm stable 50 watts and a tuner to boot: http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...2/yamaha-rs300 - $280.

That's $600 on the nose.

Baby steps...

Why wait until the end to start the upgrade?

Step 1- Save some $$, say $300 +-- Get good speakers, a little more if a sub is involved.

Step 2 - Save some more $, say $300 +- Get better amp/receiver

As for cables and speaker wire, nothing fancy. What's Lowes/Home Depot have to offer?

Good speakers now will provide some sense of instant gratification, which may be important, considering who we're dealing with.

Plus, this might allow a bit more to be allocated to each "step" if some accomplishment can be seen along the way.

Then perhaps to sources. I'd not worry about vinyl.

But frankly, methinks this is all pearls before swine. I doubt he'll respond here.

Even if he does, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

(Do I get any points for using two old chestnuts in one post?)
    Last edited by markw; 07-12-2011 at 05:33 PM.

Just bumpin' it to the top so it's easier to find.

He's been sent a personal invitation. Now we see if he walks it like he talks it.
    Last edited by markw; 07-13-2011 at 01:45 PM.

Suspended
    He's been sent a personal invitation. Now we see if he walks it like he talks it.
    Thats the last wasted 5 minutes of my time if not.

Look at the bright side.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi View Post
    Thats the last wasted 5 minutes of my time if not.
    If he doesn't at least respond, he'll make a perfect psychological scratching post for those days when you just want to kick something.

But, he could gain a lot by playing along, and also prove he's not really a troll. After all, OCD only goes so far as an excuse for dumping on people for five years.
    Last edited by markw; 07-13-2011 at 02:29 PM.

Suspended
    If he doesn't at least respond, he'll make a perfect psychological scratching post for those days when you just want to kick something.

But, he could gain a lot by playing along, and also prove he's not really a troll. After all, OCD only goes so far as an excuse for dumping on people for five years.
    A simple Thanks but no thanks would be appropriate here if he is not a true Troll or better yet, a complete idiot.

Your right, OCD goes only so far. He is always quick to point out when he gets razzled but not enough maturity to acknowledge a true sincere offer of help.

Anyone seen Rainman?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael View Post
    Anyone seen Rainman?
    He was a savant with talents in recall and math. Unless trolling is a useful talent, Spanky got nuttin' going on.

He was a savant with talents in recall and math. Unless trolling is a useful talent, Spanky got nuttin' going on.
    He did design his own website.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended

Yes and it is very impressive, would you not agree? How do we know his many boyfriends didn't do it for him?

And, if you are claiming that he has some scrap of intelligence, then he would reply to this post in some mature adult like fashion whether to accept or say thanks for the offer.

Otherwise, he is a Troll and should be treated as such.

That just shows he's got the intelligence to know he's jerkin' all of us off with his constant repetition of the same old bull**** and not learning anything or going anywhere. You do realize these are the exact same speakers he was going on about five years ago, don't you?

Maybe he just doesn't have any people skills. (or responsibilities
    )

Maybe he just doesn't have any people skills. (or responsibilities)
    Then he should learn some. Hiding in a room doesn;t insulate one from reprucussions when interacting in the virtual world. Too long he's been depending on others to compensate for his shortcomings while he flouts the rules of common courtsey on the internet, He's 26, not a child, and free to interact on the internet with others of all ages and maturity levels. He should be treated with all the courtsey he shows others. Let the games begin.

You know damn well he's reading all this and eating it up.

Then he should learn some. Hiding in a room doesn;t insulate one from reprucussions when interacting in the virtual world. Too long he's been depending on others to compensate for his shortcomings while he flouts the rules of common courtsey on the internet, He's 26, not a child, and free to interact on the internet with others of all ages and maturity levels. He should be treated with all the courtsey he shows others. Let the games begin.

You know damn well he's reading all this and eating it up.
    You may be 100% correct. Somehow, I feel sorry for him. I can't help thinking that he may have more issues than he has already told us about. I'd love to spend 5 minutes with his parrents to get some answers.

True dat

You may be 100% correct. Somehow, I feel sorry for him. I can't help thinking that he may have more issues than he has already told us about. I'd love to spend 5 minutes with his parrents to get some answers.
    But, after five years, it's not getting any better and it's not our problem. It's theirs.

Apparantly, from his recent excursions to RatShack, it's obvious he interacts socially so it's not like this is his only outlet.

Plus, I;m not too sure trolling isn't his greatest release. If he can design a web site, if he can pick the most picayune details from the specs to question and glean juuust enough knowledge to generate more questions,....
    Last edited by markw; 07-14-2011 at 08:15 AM.

But, after five years, it's not getting any better and it's not our problem. It's theirs.

Apparantly, from his recent excursions to RatShack, it's obvious he interacts socially so it's not like this is his only outlet.

Plus, I;m not too sure trolling isn't his greatest release. If he can design a web site, if he can pick the most picayune details from the specs to question and glean juuust enough knowledge to generate more questions,....
    You could be right. It could turn out that he's just been punking us all this time.
    Still wish I could get those 5 minutes to know for sure.

Suspended

I sent him the following PM

which now isn't private anymore

Why won't you respond to help thread????

So why after I and others take the time to offer you help, you won't even respond to the thread and say thanks?

You are a Troll and will be treated as such from here on out whenever you post ANYTHING!

If you are not a Troll, and you are truly 26 years old (an adult) then you have no excuse for not being polite and reply to the thread.

Otherwise, we have all written you off and you will no longer receive any help on this forum.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information