• 04-11-2007, 07:12 AM
    minye
    One pair speakers, two sets of power. How to?
    I am 50/50 for HT and Music. I use Bryston 4B to drive Paradigm Studio 40 mains. Proceed HT processor and ARC Hybrid Preamp are both connected to the Bryston. When I listen to music, I turn off HT the Proceed and use ARC preamp. Vice versa.

Inspired by Peabody and other tube guys, I am about to put in more tube stuff in my system, like a tube power amp for music. I don't want to add a 2nd pair of speakers and I don't want to watch DVD and TV with the tube amp. Now comes the question. How to share one pair of speakers by 2 sets of power amps?

I know there is kind of speaker selector for 1 amp with differrent pairs of speakers. I wonder if I can connect it backwards and use it as an "amp selector".

I would ask for tube amp recommendations in another thread. Thanks.
  • 04-11-2007, 07:34 AM
    Resident Loser
    You may...
    ...want to check out the Russound AB-3.2 link below:

http://www.russound.com/ab3.htm

...exactly what you want, even auto-switches...I'd avoid doin' a flip-flop on a speaker selector switch as some may have other circuitry that could adversely affect the amp/speaker interface...

jimHJJ(...good luck...)
  • 04-11-2007, 07:53 AM
    minye
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    ...want to check out the Russound AB-3.2 link below:

http://www.russound.com/ab3.htm

...exactly what you want, even auto-switches...I'd avoid doin' a flip-flop on a speaker selector switch as some may have other circuitry that could adversely affect the amp/speaker interface...

jimHJJ(...good luck...)

Thanks.

But this one looks small. My speaker wire is 10 Gauge and SS amp is 250wpc rms. Not sure if it works for me. I will check it out.
  • 04-11-2007, 12:57 PM
    PeruvianSkies
    long term...
    Are you thinking that down the line you will have 2 systems, one for each, or is that not a possibility at any point in time?
  • 04-11-2007, 02:36 PM
    minye
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    Are you thinking that down the line you will have 2 systems, one for each, or is that not a possibility at any point in time?

I will keep 2 systems for years. Still feel HT entertaining.
  • 04-11-2007, 05:01 PM
    Mr Peabody
    Well what I do is use banana plugs on the speaker ends of the cables and physically plug and unplug from one application to the other. I couldn't find any other satisfying way. Bryston makes one of the best switchers I found but I can't remember which direction the switching went. It was also expensive and I figured I can deal with a little inconvenience. Besides using direct connections is the purest way to go.
  • 04-11-2007, 07:29 PM
    minye
    Peabody,

The Bryston switch is speaker selector as I remember. I don't know if it can be use backwards as an "amp selector".

I think I would just do it your "inconvenient way", unless I can diy something out.

Thanks
  • 04-11-2007, 07:29 PM
    Dusty Chalk
    I don't recommend it (the switch), unless you're going to put in a dummy load -- some amps don't like not having loads when they're on.

I think the banana plugs is a better bet, and the marrying-speakers-to-amps idea is the best.