Thread: Older Rotel amp

Forum Regular

Older Rotel amp

Hi all -
    I have an older 2ch amp 100wpc Rotel RB-870BX. Would I benefit sound wise if I went to a newer 100wpc amp? I guess what I'm saying, do amps loos their oomph?

Thanks,
    Don

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dharris
    Hi all -
    I have an older 2ch amp 100wpc Rotel RB-870BX. Would I benefit sound wise if I went to a newer 100wpc amp? I guess what I'm saying, do amps loos their oomph?

Thanks,
    Don

This is a tough question to answer. I would say if your Rotel is still operating within it's original specs it has not lost it's oomph. Are you displeased with the sound of the Rotel? If you purchase another 100wpc amp will you be buying a more expensive state of the art amp or one comparable to the Rotel? If the amp still sounds good to you I would say stick with it. I have a 9 year old Rotel int amp that still sounds good and works well. I find bigger differences in sound in source and speakers.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    This is a tough question to answer. I would say if your Rotel is still operating within it's original specs it has not lost it's oomph. Are you displeased with the sound of the Rotel? If you purchase another 100wpc amp will you be buying a more expensive state of the art amp or one comparable to the Rotel? If the amp still sounds good to you I would say stick with it. I have a 9 year old Rotel int amp that still sounds good and works well. I find bigger differences in sound in source and speakers.
    Actually love the Rotel. If I did buy another amp it would be another Rotel or NAD.
    Thanks for the RE...

Quote Originally Posted by Dharris
    Hi all -

Thanks,
    Don
    Stay with your equipments unless you are absoultely unsatisfied with your amp. Try moving your speakers to different postions. Sometimes moving 3-6 inches can impact greatly to your sound.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I have a 7-10 year old Rotel power amp and some 24 year old NAD integrated amps. They sound as good as they ever did. I can't say newer amps I've heard sound any better. They seem to have more power now and maybe run a bit cooler (which is good) and more efficient, but sound wise, the differences are pretty small. I think pre-amps are sounding a bit better these days, just my opinion.

But for the same amount of money (or actually more to cover inflation), you're probably not going to get much (if any) performance increases just uprading the amp to something comparable. You're probably good with what you have.

Forum Regular
    The new ones probably won't be as reliable as your old one. I would stay put.

S
    Space

The preceding comments have not been subjected to double blind testing, and so must just be taken as casual observations and not given the weight of actual scientific data to be used to prove a case in a court of law or scientific journal. The comments represent my humble opinion which will range in the readers perspective to vary from Gospel to heresy. So let it be.

Thread Information