Sophisticated Red Neck manlystanley's Avatar

Not overly impressed

In general, I'm not overly impressed by a used Adcom GTP-500 that I recently purchased. My H/K is developing more and move problems: collapsing sound stage, and the phono section does not work. Further I didn't have a radio. So, I figure that the GTP-500 would solve all these problems.

I'm using it as ta preamp and my HK as the power amp. It sounds OK, but lacks a lot of the low end detail and just does not sound as musical. It's OK, but not worth the $80 I paid for it......

So, I'm back to the drawing board. BTW, what do you guys think of this deal on CL:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/d...445143652.html

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Last edited by manlystanley; 11-04-2009 at 05:00 AM.
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

Family Room: Denon avr-687, Denon CD player, Klipsch RB-5II

Chicago IL
    WOW 200 wpc should be loud!

Zepman had a suggestion of using monoprice video cables instead of monoprice audio cables. *BIG* improvement. Got that punchy bass back. I'm groove'n .......

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

I've been using video cables for audio in a 2nd system. Works great. Are you still looking to replace the preamp?

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    I've been using video cables for audio in a 2nd system. Works great. Are you still looking to replace the preamp?
    Hello audionoob,
    The GTP-500 sounds pretty good now, but not as good as I hoped it would.

I do have a long term goal of moving up to B&W 703's, CM9's or maybe even a 800 series. So, I will need to replace my H/K and I was hoping that this pre-amp (among other things) was the first step. We'll see. I go to GW once a week and buy music and look for cheap audio stuff. So far, it's just lots of CD/DVD players.

Thanks for your help.

Best Regards,
    Stan

I'm working at home today and am listening to my new Adcom GTP-500. Now that I have replaced the cables between the: CD Player <--> GTP-500 ; and GTP-500 <--> H/K, it really sounds good. It's as least as good as the H/K integrated amp by itself. Plus now, I don't have that strange collapsing sound stage problem. I'm very pleased.

My apologies to all you GTP-500 owners. I was disappointed with the sound with the mono-price audio cables--and it clouded my opinion.

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Last edited by manlystanley; 11-04-2009 at 01:45 PM.

Get rid of the monoprice cables and get some BJC's for $30.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by manlystanley
    Seaman had a suggestion of using monoprice video cables instead of mono price audio cables. *BIG* improvement. Got that punchy bass back. I'm groove'n .......

Best Regards,
    Stan
    In another thread on this site Mr Peabody and Frenchmon compared Monoprice and BJC cables. After a shootout the conclusion was that the monoprice cables sucked big time. BJC cables walked all over the monoprice. Although I've never tried either brand Mr Peabody's opinion is one I would listen to.
    There are many posters here who use Adcom gear. I use a GTP-450 in my bedroom system and have a buddy who has a GTP-500 in his main system. Lack of or flabby bass has never been a problem. As a long time user and recommender of Adcom gear I would try better cables first. Anything but Monoprice or Monster is worth a try.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Quote Originally Posted by manlystanley
    Now that I have replaced the cables between the: CD Player <--> GTP-500 ; and GTP-500 <--> H/K, it really sounds good.
    The problem with generic $.73 patch cords is they have huge amounts of capacitance which many sources do not work well with. An engineer friend of mine measured a three foot length of generic cord to be about 330 pF - which is about four times that of good cables. Beyond the obvious, those cables are also poorly shielded and are more prone to RFI.

Happy listening to the new gear!

rw

Suspended
    Did I hear my name?

Stan, that Adcom system you posted from CL is a good deal. Most people pay about that for just the 555 power amp. Of course, it depends on whether everything looks and works good. The 555 & 5500 power amps are very good for the money.

It is true the BJC are a vast improvement over Monoprice. Not meaning to offend but I can't understand why some one would be willing to toss aside a preamp and even want to upgrade to expensive speakers and not want to buy a decent cable. You obviously heard there can be an improvement, so try some good cables designed for audio.

In my experience with Adcom, lack of bass is not an issue. I currently have a gtp-450 & 5500. I personally thought the BJC was a good match with Adcom. The system is in a lively room so I stayed with the BJC. I found Transparent even allowed the Adcom further extended highs and a better defined bass. So try some cables from places that will allow a return if not happy and experiment. I can't remember what your area is like, if you have any local audio shops they will typically allow you to audition whatever brand they carry.

I agree I used to sell Adcom and highly praise them for their ability to sound great, look good and sound good with a variety of speakers and source electronics and I have never heard anyone complain about the sound you are hearing from the Adcom preamps. If anything a slightly noisy phono stage is about the only complaint I have ever heard. Mr. Peabody is correct I would try some different cables with your system. I know Blue jeans cable is highly regarded on this sight for its quality and price point. I know back in the 90's when I sold Adcom we used XLO cables and they worked real well but they tend to get expensive real quick as you move up the line. you might find some used though.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

OK, so I'm now impressed. Watched the Movie "The King and I" this weekend, the vocals were so much clearer. Also, bass is punchy and everything sounds great!

GTP-500's rule!!!! (err.... with a descent set of cables).

Best Regards,
    Stan

I figured your mind would change when you put some better cables with it. I mean don't get me wrong I am not big on the multi thousand dollar super cables out there and I don't feel you need to spend that kind of money on cables, but if you do your research and look around you can find cables that will transform your system from ok to awesome with a descent and respectable cost. I figured once you got worthy cables that you would like your Adcom preamp. They arent the last word in preamplification but they are one hell of a unit for the money. And that means something to ME!!!!

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Thread Information