Amp B-Day Present

Treated myself to a used Acurus DIA 100 for my birthday this last week.I'd been wanting to hear one for awhile every since I read up on the Exposure line of amps,which uses a passive preamp. This passive preamp idea led me to Acurus. Found one on Ebay by a great seller honest seller that was only 40 miles away.

Here's some pics (sorry my phone is a sad excuse for a camera):

Still getting use to the sound, but I am enjoying it.
    Last edited by Enochrome; 12-21-2011 at 10:02 PM.

Suspended
    What are you hearing different with passive? Now your source is more important than ever since the pre amp is not adding much to the signal. Do you find that you can use more volume and not have it in your face?

Charm Thai™
    Integrated with a passive preamp inside, interesting. I never knew Acurus made something like that. Nice find.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi View Post
    What are you hearing different with passive? Now your source is more important than ever since the pre amp is not adding much to the signal. Do you find that you can use more volume and not have it in your face?
    What I first noticed was a deeper black background. All the music coming out of it was as clean as I have experienced. With the deep black background I was able to hear much more low level details and small details that I never new were there. Also, the texture and weight of instruments was more realistic.

True the source is paramount with a passive preamp, which I new before I purchased. I am now shopping for a DAC ( any suggestions?) so to make up for my cd player and also to play music files. The Acurus would laugh if I sent files through just an Airport Express.

On the flip side, the Acurus can really bring out the best in gear that might have been muddled with by a low quality active preamp. My Cambridge 640p I always considered a good phono stage, now I think it is really great; so much texture, timbre and detail, and it has one of the blackest backgrounds and if couple that with the Acurus blacks you get utter silence.

Volume is an issue; I do have to turn things up a tad more. I think it might be an issue when I mount my DL-103LC because the 640p has just 57db of gain (ouch!)

Hope you all are going to have good holidays and get a chance to listen to your tunes.

What is that below the Acurus?
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Below the Acurus is a Jolida 502a

AR Newbie Registered Member
    congrats

that is awesome

merry xmas

Thanks Boba! The more I listen the more I like.

Happy New Year!

Audio Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by bobafart View Post
    congrats

that is awesome

merry xmas
    That is an awesome find! And only a few miles away! Save on shipping charges and the risks associated with transit!
    Preamplifier: Apt Holman Preamp 1
    Amplifier: Carver TFM 45
    Speakers: Magnaplanar SMG (1982) with Peter Gunn 1st order crossover upgrade
    Disk Player: OppoDigital DVH-71
    Turntable: SystemDek IIx Profile II tonearm, Grado Reference Platinum, Oracle Groove Isolator mat
    Phono Stage: Modified Michael Yee PFe-1

Thread Information