RGA
    Forum Regular

A nice digital amp shootout....

I saw this on stereomojo - I've heard a few of these and found it interesting as to the winner. Not surprised but ...

What is interesting is several reviewers blindly listening to amps at $130 versus over $2,000 affairs with big watt outputs. It's not so much the winners but that a lot of these went 4-3 in votes.

SHOOTOUT2007

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I am glad to read that the Onkyo A-9555 did so well in the comparisons.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Forum Regular
    I remember that shootout from a few years back and you're right it shows that the price is not necessarily indicative of performance.

I've had the Panaonic XR55 class D receiver since it came out and it has served me well for many years. It's now in a bedroom 5.1. The class D AVRs were offered by Panasonic and JVC for only a few years but never seemed to catch on perhaps because they were smaller and lighter than conventional receivers.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I was thinking how much better the Onkyo would have done in the shootout if they had upgraded the fuse like I did.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by RGA View Post
    I saw this on stereomojo - I've heard a few of these and found it interesting as to the winner. Not surprised but ...

What is interesting is several reviewers blindly listening to amps at $130 versus over $2,000 affairs with big watt outputs. It's not so much the winners but that a lot of these went 4-3 in votes.

SHOOTOUT2007
    Thanks, although this test is really old news.

There are more and different class D's available today, and a more up to date comparison would be helpful. It is interesting though, to see that so many Class T (Tripath) amps are still available today, years after Tripath ceased production.

Thread Information