Smile Hey, vintage SS amp users: it was time for a change!

No, not tubes! Gimme a break.

My Phase Linear 400 was humming loudly and sending hum and static to my speakers: I thought it was broken. Apparently not, though, just a ground loop. However while waiting for the tech to check it out, I tried and bought a NAD C270; (Cdn$575, about US$430, plus tax). What bargain!

Yes, it's true what they say about '70s SS -- etched and sharp. The NAD did away with all that. CDs that were so bright and sharp I couln't listen to them are now at least listenable.

Mind you, the Phase has the leaner, tighter base. Hmmm!! Imagining bi-amping: NAD high, Phase low.

Forum Regular
    I'm very sorry to hear your Phase was salvagable. You could really benefit from all the newer technology. It boggles my mind to think you actually ( need to insert the word "still" here ) enjoy that amp. I had one here in the walnut case that could be purchased many moons ago for the Phase 400, 4000 and the tuner Bob created. Gave all that stuff away some 15 years ago. Sold the Andromedas but gave the rest to some kid who fell in love with the joy stick in the middle of the preamp. Hope your sitting down next time you get in front of a mind blowing system, you might have a heart attack. Long drop to the floor!
    Later,
    Carlos

Cool Thanks for your concern for my health ...

Quote Originally Posted by CARLOS
    I'm very sorry to hear your Phase was salvagable ... Hope your sitting down next time you get in front of a mind blowing system, you might have a heart attack. Long drop to the floor!
    Later,
    Carlos
    Rest assured, though, I do perfer the NAD; meanwhile the Phase is sitting gathering dust in a corner.

Some people have recommended upgrades to the Phase that are supposed to bring it up to modern standards. Maybe, but not being a DIY'er, it would have cost me a lot more to do this than buy the NAD.

Forum Regular
    There comes a time when an item has lived beyond its usefullness and still has some monetary value to someone else. You might considering selling the Phase to invest in something more up to date that you could test drive in your home to determine if the newer amp makes your ears smile. Some stores (if you have a good relationship with them) will let you take something home for the weekend and test drive it in your environment. It's your money and your the customer, so you do have some pull in this matter. My whole Phase system sat for some 20 years collecting dust. Had I sold it long ago, I could have gotten top dollar. As it stands, I gave the amp, tuner, pre amp and cabinets away, sold the speakers for $325. Can't knock Phase amps really but they are very limited performance wise. Look good too with those large meters and all the lights working but as someone told me once years ago, and it is very true, if your watching the lights amd meters, your not listening...also while your listening...remember, your system is only as strong as its weakest point. Dial all that in and you will build a custom system designed by you and for you. Trick is not to spend zillions and half a lifetime doing it. Our hearing changes as we get older as do our listening habits and choice of material. Phase never made a hearing aid so you have to get yourself inline with the future.
    Carlos

The Collector
    I'm glad to hear your Phase got fixed. I perfer older amps, maybe because I love the vintage sound. I am going to be running a pair of JBL 4430's with a Dynaco ST400 (slightly modded) on the lows and a Proton D-940 for the highs. It should sound good. I was looking into picking up a couple of NAD's because I get them for cost since the store I work for is a dealer, makes things really nice. But before anything else I have to get my Crown K-2 for my subs

Thread Information