Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    ...Let's see if I can sum that up: she wears black & spikes, takes a little while to warm up but can get pretty hot, wants me to wait a few months before I roll her, is willing to pose topless, will be good to me for 5-7 years, and is going to teach me new things. Ouch!
    What's this?

What's her name?

Does she got any sisters?

Sounds like fun times ahead for you nightflier. Good luck with that exotic equipment line up!

nightflier

Candela Info

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    'Flier, do you have a link to Candela specs, etc.? It seems it isn't included on the Odyssey, (not Audyssey) website which is pretty wierd.
    LOL. How many ways are there to misspell Odissey? It certainly is easier to type PSB or Adcom when you're in a hurry...

I asked about the website. From what I can gather, Klaus is building all the Candelas by hand, so he wants to keep the release a bit quiet so that he can keep up with demand. It's why he also hasn't allowed any professional reviews of the unit either, although he's been asked already. The website has also been having some technical issues lately with incorrect older info being posted without Klaus' approval. I think he's looking for a new webmaster right now. In any case, he promised to have updated info up soon - but for now, the Candela is still very much in the available-by-request-only phase and specs are nearly impossible to come by, even from Klaus himself. If anyone has more info, I for one would love to read it. Please post.

Spectron is, of course, one of the longest standing digital manufactures and have an excellent rep for sound, so comparision with the Monarchys will be meaningful. I must admit I was a bit astonished by your earlier comments on the Monarchy. As I recall you said it was relatively forward compared to the PS Audio.
    Well I've back & forth between PSAudio and Spectron for years. Worms over at PS Audio has always been excellent about questions and support and I really can't say that Spectron has been as responsive. That said, on the sound, I prefer the Spectron a tad more. I have 4 PS Audio amps right now: HCA-2, GCC-250, Classic 250 monos, and a GCA-MC. What I didn't like so much about the music capabilities of the PS Audios, turned out to be a strength for movie watching: oodles of bass, depth and height. But for music I think Spectron has more clarity and focus. Of course, I only have the one Spectron to compare the others to, but I think that PS Audio engineers prefer to tune the amps towards a more full-bodied warmer sound. This isn't necessarily bad, but you have to be careful what kind of pre you put it with. Let me be clear, though, I'm not knocking PS Audio amps or anything, they are still a great value and perhaps I'm a bit over analytical about it. They sound different from the Spectron, but it's not night & day either - it's subtle.

The tube pre/Monarchy combo should be very fine, though. I like my Sonic Frontiers LINE 1 with the Monachys, albeit the SF is somewhat renouned for its neutral, S/S-like sound.
    Ironically the Candela is also tuned for pairing with solid state gear. Klaus said that the tubes were "middle of the road" and not as tubey as some other tube preamps out there. They were chosen for their ability to play nice with the widest number of amps. I think a shoot-out between the Sonic Frontiers and the Candela would reveal more similarities than differences.

Suspended
    That's interesting that Odyssey is dabbling in tubes. I'm interested to see how the Candela sounds. If you don't mind, how much does one cost?

nightflier

Candela Price

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    That's interesting that Odyssey is dabbling in tubes. I'm interested to see how the Candela sounds. If you don't mind, how much does one cost?
    They cost about $1500, depending on options (I paid a bit more), and they are made-to-order right now. On such small runs, availability of parts is always a concern, so the Candelas they were selling last year are different than the ones today. It takes about 3-4 weeks to order one, although that can vary too, especially if you want something fancy. They are available in all the finishes that the Stratos amps are available in, too.

If you want to save a little, you can usually buy a used one for around $1000. Audiogon has one every so often. The warranty is still 20 years and it's transferable, so that's really the best way to get one. Most of the ones that are custom-built are hand-signed with the buyer's name on them too (I suppose you could have Klaus write anything you like on it).

In any case, from everything I've read, for $1K, it's a screaming deal. I've read reviews of people dumping $5K preamps in favor of this one. I don't think I'll be ditching my 'LAD over it (after all that one is fully balanced), but I certainly don't feel like I got ripped off in any way. But I haven't even heard it yet, so maybe I should temper my enthusiasm until I do hear it.

Ah this hobby is going to kill me....

Suspended
    That is a good price for a quality preamp.

nightflier

Yeah, she does, but the name is not as flattering

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    What's this?

What's her name?

Does she got any sisters?

Sounds like fun times ahead for you nightflier. Good luck with that exotic equipment line up!
    If you're OK with dating a hottie named Tempest. Under the right circumstances, she could be the wind beneath your wings, but most of the time, she's a bit stormy. While she'll wear spiked heels, too, she's not willing to be rolled, preferring instead to be more solid-state. She's also not much of a looker, although she does have two large knobs on the front, that will turn heads I suppose. I hear the smaller knobs, when turned just right can make her purr like a kitten. She will wear blue, red and even gold-toned dresses, so a lot depends on how you dress her up. Overall, she's quite the overachiever, though, and if that's your thing, well then by all means....

You may want to stay clear of her ugly step sister, Etesian, though. She's a bit more pedestrian, although she also has two large knobs that can be dialed in for a good experience. But she never quite reached the heights of her sisters, some would call it pleasantly stout or big-boned to be kind. Just be aware, that while she's a cheap date, she's also a bit bitter about the whole thing. As a result she only wears black and you can forget about remote controlling her. True, Tempest doesn't want to be remote-controlled either, but at least she's willing to dress up for you.

Suspended
    Alright alright... I get the point! Sheesh!

Californians... whaddaya gonna do?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Alright alright... I get the point! Sheesh!

Californians... whaddaya gonna do?
    And this from the land of high heeled short shorts and blondes in a bottle?

Do you guy's still have drive through Pina Colada shops?
    Herman;

My stuff:
    Olive Musica/transport and server
    Mark Levinson No.360S D to A
    Passive pre (homemade; Shallco, Vishay, Cardas wire/connectors)
    Cardas Golden Presence IC
    Pass Labs X250
    Martin Logan ReQuests.

Suspended

Now you're asking for it!

Quote Originally Posted by hermanv
    And this from the land of high heeled short shorts and blondes in a bottle?
    "Blondes in a bottle?" HA! Last I checked LA was still in California. Blondes-in-a-bottle, boobs-in-a-bottle...etc.

Do you guy's still have drive through Pina Colada shops?
    Good grief. Y'all don't know your geography do ya? Pina Colada's are a Hawiian treat, just ask Cartman/JSE. We have margarita drive throughs in Texas.

Let's try not to get so distracted in our next geography class okay people?

I've only been to Texas twice, as a male I couldn't help but notice a large number of females attired in a fashion I personally find quite pleasing.

Yes California has it's share, but none older than 19. And while there is nothing wrong with 19 an older woman also offers some additional depth, for one you can talk to her and there is a chance the perpetual gum chewing of the Californian younger set will be missing.
    Herman;

My stuff:
    Olive Musica/transport and server
    Mark Levinson No.360S D to A
    Passive pre (homemade; Shallco, Vishay, Cardas wire/connectors)
    Cardas Golden Presence IC
    Pass Labs X250
    Martin Logan ReQuests.

Suspended
    ...Yes California has it's share, but none older than 19. And while there is nothing wrong with 19 an older woman also offers some additional depth, for one you can talk to her and there is a chance the perpetual gum chewing of the Californian younger set will be missing.
    Hmmm.... I think I know now what I've been doing wrong. I should move to Cali.

NightFlier - pity about the Spectron amp. I have the 1KW and Model 10. They are serial number 1 and 2. They sound simply awesome- incredible clarity, speed, very good imaging, and excellent timbral/tonal performance. Sound is right in between tubes and solid state. What problems were you having? How does it compare now that you have the Monarchy amp? Those Talons must be nice.

I'm working on some new gear too, but am about to fork out for one of the previous model Jaguar XKRs (2004), so any new gear will have to wait. Love the new XKRs, but for some reason, I find the older models to be one of the most beautiful looking cars ever built.
    'Lets See what the day brings forth'.... Reginald Iolanthe Perrin

nightflier

Looks like a Jag, breaks down like a jag, but what is it...?

Quote Originally Posted by O'Shag
    I'm working on some new gear too, but am about to fork out for one of the previous model Jaguar XKRs (2004), so any new gear will have to wait. Love the new XKRs, but for some reason, I find the older models to be one of the most beautiful looking cars ever built.
    (as he says in a hushed voice, from the back of the classroom...)

O'Shag's interested in Tatas?

Just messing with ya. Yes, they do look nice, and Ford's been able to improve on that service record substantially I hear. I hope they don't come with Bose sound systems, though.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information