Forum Regular

Cheap (but decent) integrated amp suggestions

Need help for a friend. He needs an inexpensive integrated with the following features:

At least 50 watts of power
    MM phono stage
    Two tape loops for CD recorder and tape deck
    Binding posts that accept spade lugs

Any suggestions? The good news is that it doesn't have to sound great. But it shouldn't sound like crap to the average non-audiophile, either.

Help much appreciated!
    Form is out. Content makes its own form.
    -Sam Rivers

The format doesn't matter. The music is all that matters.
    - Musicoverall

How about ...

Quote Originally Posted by musicoverall
    Need help for a friend. He needs an inexpensive integrated with the following features:

At least 50 watts of power
    MM phono stage
    Two tape loops for CD recorder and tape deck
    Binding posts that accept spade lugs

Any suggestions? The good news is that it doesn't have to sound great. But it shouldn't sound like crap to the average non-audiophile, either.

Help much appreciated!
    The Onkyo A-9555, like JohnMichael just got ...
    http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...lass=Amplifier

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    The Onkyo A-9555, like JohnMichael just got ...
    http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...lass=Amplifier

Yes for only $499 from J&R, www.jr.com, and also available from BH Photo and Video. Only two days old but sounding great. Very nicley made amp and I agree with all the positive reviews I have read. I have not tried the mm phono stage since I have a low output mc cartridge mounted in the tonearm. Nice controls and good looks with better sound then my first generation Cambridge Audio 640A.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Forum Regular

Sounds like a good choice, but...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Yes for only $499 from J&R, www.jr.com, and also available from BH Photo and Video. Only two days old but sounding great. Very nicley made amp and I agree with all the positive reviews I have read. I have not tried the mm phono stage since I have a low output mc cartridge mounted in the tonearm. Nice controls and good looks with better sound then my first generation Cambridge Audio 640A.
    ...it appears to have only one tape loop and it's a little more money than my friend wants to spend. Do you think the TX-8522 would be a suitable substitute? It's only $220 from J and R. Think I'll go see if there are any reviews here on AR.
    Form is out. Content makes its own form.
    -Sam Rivers

The format doesn't matter. The music is all that matters.
    - Musicoverall

Quote Originally Posted by musicoverall
    ...it appears to have only one tape loop and it's a little more money than my friend wants to spend. Do you think the TX-8522 would be a suitable substitute? It's only $220 from J and R. Think I'll go see if there are any reviews here on AR.

There are two loops one marked Tape and the other MD. So far this sounds like the type of amp where you could upgrade source and speakers seveal levels and the amp would still satisfy.

I think NAD just brought out a new entry level int. amp.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Correction, the Onkyo A 9555 binding posts do not accept spades. Bare wire and bananas only.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Thread Information