Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Smile Excellent

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    ... First impressions are it is big and heavy. I am use to Rotel and CA int. amps and the Onkyo is taller, deeper and might I say again heavy. The power cord is fairly thick and is not grounded. This pleased me since I found out how much noise was added when my int. amps were grounded. Feel of the controls is a step or two above CA. Finish of the unit is also nice.

Very early impressions of the sound is cleaner sound, sweeter violins and better pace and timing. The sound is tidy and more musical. More natural sounding with less coloration than the CA 640. Silky on violin. Wider soundstage. Of course time will tell if I find the amp as wonderful after more break in. If it gets better, wow.
    Long live digital Give us further updates.

Great suggestions so far. What kind of sound are you looking for? Sweeter? More musical? Neutral?

If you're looking for something that is slightly more romantic and sweet, consider auditioning a YBA 201. Beautiful build quality and aesthetically very pleasing. They do lean towards the warm side, so if you're looking for something a little more clinical, this probably won't do.

For pure transparency, it would be tough to beat the PSA GCC100. Like Mr. P noted, this is essentially a switching amp with a gain stage. No pots or attenuators to add distortion. If the holy grail is voltage with gain, this is as close as you can get. Be forewarned: if you like your amplifier to help "tune" the presentation (i.e. add color to suit your preference) this is not the amp for you. It's transparency is disarming for some and it will tell you in no uncertain terms what every, little thing sounds like. It isn't cold, it isn't warm, it's neither "musical" nor "colored." It is whatever the source is being fed to it.

If you're looking for something that is more musical and, for lack of a better term, "tubey" but without the hassle of tubes, consider PSA's Trio C100 which has all the benefits of the GCC but it tuned for a warmer, more tube-like sound. The fact that it cheaper than the GCC doesn't hurt either.

One last note, if you can find a Jeff Roland dealer, try the Concerto. In watch terms, these things are the Breguet of the amplifier world in terms of fit, finish, and attention to detail. They don't sound too shabby either! Unfortunately, I believe you'll need to either get one used or swing the deal of the year to fit your price range.

They sure are purty tho!

Suspended
    Interesting the 9555 is noted as heavy, I thought the digital amps were supposed to be light due to no bulky power supply. Sounds like the reviews weren't exaggerating on the sound though.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Great suggestions so far. What kind of sound are you looking for? Sweeter? More musical? Neutral?

If you're looking for something that is slightly more romantic and sweet, consider auditioning a YBA 201. Beautiful build quality and aesthetically very pleasing. They do lean towards the warm side, so if you're looking for something a little more clinical, this probably won't do.

For pure transparency, it would be tough to beat the PSA GCC100. Like Mr. P noted, this is essentially a switching amp with a gain stage. No pots or attenuators to add distortion. If the holy grail is voltage with gain, this is as close as you can get. Be forewarned: if you like your amplifier to help "tune" the presentation (i.e. add color to suit your preference) this is not the amp for you. It's transparency is disarming for some and it will tell you in no uncertain terms what every, little thing sounds like. It isn't cold, it isn't warm, it's neither "musical" nor "colored." It is whatever the source is being fed to it.

If you're looking for something that is more musical and, for lack of a better term, "tubey" but without the hassle of tubes, consider PSA's Trio C100 which has all the benefits of the GCC but it tuned for a warmer, more tube-like sound. The fact that it cheaper than the GCC doesn't hurt either.

One last note, if you can find a Jeff Roland dealer, try the Concerto. In watch terms, these things are the Breguet of the amplifier world in terms of fit, finish, and attention to detail. They don't sound too shabby either! Unfortunately, I believe you'll need to either get one used or swing the deal of the year to fit your price range.

They sure are purty tho!

You always have my attention when you mention a fine swiss watch.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Congrats on foiling the attempted hijacking. My building because of location is similar though a close knit group of neighbors is usually pretty good about helping one another.
    My Grandparents live close to your neck of the woods, and while neither gets out anymore I'm sure I would've been regaled with stories of a Jason Bourne like carchase.In the end my Grandfather would understand your fervor as he's the one resposible for my being in this mess (audiophilia).

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Of course time will tell if I find the amp as wonderful after more break in. If it gets better, wow.

The Onkyo is a digital switching amp, right? I don't know if digital amps have a "burn in" or "break in" period but I guess we're about to find out, eh? Either way it sounds like you already find that big boy to your liking so good on you.

Peace

Power supplies

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Interesting the 9555 is noted as heavy, I thought the digital amps were supposed to be light due to no bulky power supply. Sounds like the reviews weren't exaggerating on the sound though.
    Some "digital" amps have linear power supplies, and these are not much lighter than coventional s/s amps. A case in point was my former Bel Canto eVo2i

The Onkyo is sounding so good I had to call off from work. Listening to the Guarneri String Quartet perform Mendelssohn's String Quartet no. 3 was an ear opener. When I have listened to this through the CA you heard the music but had to concentrate if I was interested in one of the musicians individual parts. Now when I was listening one of the players entered after the three started the piece. It was obvious where his place on stage would have been.

Greater clarity and defintion is also welcomed when listening to Emmylou, Linda and Dolly in Trio II. It is nice to hear them singing together without their voices blending and becoming indistinct. The edge is gone from Linda's voice that I thought might have been from the cd player but it was the amp. Voices are more natural and Norah Jones is sounding incredible.

I am pleased my cd player and speakers are sounding better with this amp. The metallic glare I would sometimes hear is gone. Imaging is good. I wonder if this is why CA brought out the V2 series to improve on the issues of my 640A. I enjoyed it but the colorations became more bothersome over time.

Back to listening.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Suspended
    Very good. How's the bass?

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Ding, Ding, Ding--We have a winner!! Any gear that makes you call in sick must be quite formidable. We'll have to wait a bit for final judgements but a t this point all sounds well. Hopefully when the honeymoon is over everything will still be all roses.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    The Onkyo is a digital switching amp, right? I don't know if digital amps have a "burn in" or "break in" period but I guess we're about to find out, eh? Either way it sounds like you already find that big boy to your liking so good on you.
    I can't believe that you guys are letting that last sentence slide...I'm out here working hard for you perverts and nobody's even taking the assist. GM, for shame...you're slippin'

Very good. How's the bass?

Let me comment on the midbass because with my speakers I can not answer for deep bass. Tight, defined and quick which I enjoy. Listening to the Onkyo after the CA I can not yet say if the Onkyo is controlling the woofer better or the CA was a little thick and muddy in the midbass.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

So you saved yourself $2000 from buying expensive integrated amp. It doesnt get any better than that. Sounds like a clear winner to me.
    If it sounds as good as you say, then no need for a different CDP.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    I can't believe that you guys are letting that last sentence slide...I'm out here working hard for you perverts and nobody's even taking the assist. GM, for shame...you're slippin'
    Bobsticks,

That is because we are all walking around with hair on our balls. We are all grown up now, you see. With that in mind, stop whining and go get yourself a AVID deck and Einsteine Phono stage. Now that's ballz!

JRA

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    So you saved yourself $2000 from buying expensive integrated amp. It doesnt get any better than that. Sounds like a clear winner to me.
    If it sounds as good as you say, then no need for a different CDP.

JRA

JRA I think it is too early to declare the Onkyo a clear winner. It is very nice but I will have to live with it for awhile. Since there was very little out of pocket cash spent on the amp I will be upgrading the cdp. My Marantz does sound better but the Onkyo lets me know a more refined cdp is needed.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

The Onkyo is a very good amp for $500 and beats the CA 640A. It is a good amp but do not use it with Alpha Core speaker cables. I started to notice a peak in the upper mids and lower treble. Bass sounded lean but tight. I was concerned about the peak in frequency and wondered what to do. Back into the cable closet I went and tried a pair of stranded cables, UltraLink MX2, and the peak was gone. Bass is now full but not muddy. I then began to notice the cd player sounding a little thin. Pulled the MicroPurls out and replaced with less expensive AR interconnects. I do not know how the cables were negatively affecting the sound but now this amp kicks ass. I thought maybe the peak was from the amp burning in but the change was so drastic with the change in cables that I knew it was the cables at blame.

JRA you are right I may have saved myself a lot of money. I am happier with the cdp now. Leaves extra money for speakers but the Ascends sound more wonderful with the amp. Maybe there is a Canon 40D in my future
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Suspended
    That Onkyo must be one of the best bang for the buck going.

I know cables are system dependent but it's interesting that the cheaper ones worked better from CD to amp. I wonder if the cheaper cables mask a weakness or if it's just a capatibility issue. I know from playing with RCA's that a pair of silver cables didn't do much for my tubes but was one of the best cables I used for my Krell.

That Onkyo must be one of the best bang for the buck going.

I know cables are system dependent but it's interesting that the cheaper ones worked better from CD to amp. I wonder if the cheaper cables mask a weakness or if it's just a capatibility issue. I know from playing with RCA's that a pair of silver cables didn't do much for my tubes but was one of the best cables I used for my Krell.

Alpha Core warns in their literature that some amps might become unstable with their speaker cables. They have low impedance and I read in reviews where the Onkyo did not like low impedance speakers so I figure the low impedance of the cables was the problem. It is singing sweetly now and was good with the Alpha's but so much better with less exotic cables.

I am amzed that a $500 amp, $348pr speakers and a $300 cd player can sound so good. I keep listening and thinking wow I never heard that before and music is more accesible.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Suspended
    A comparable Denon integrated in power and features runs about $1,200.00 it would be interesting to have a run off. Bettering the CA is saying something.

If you have the funds it would be worth seeing what better speakers and source would do.

One of the thing I regret about my system is that I acquire 3 gears all at once(within a couple of weeks), I never got to hear my system improve one gear at a time. Enjoy your journey!

JRA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information