Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    Winston, I'm not into bi-amping but many at the Emo forum, including the big boss have mentioned using the XPA-5 (as well as other Emo multi-channel amps) for bi-amping. I don't know what the difference would be between running two UPA-1's to the same speaker versus running two channels of an XPA-5 to the same speaker, other than crosstalk issues etc. Maybe you could expound on that (sorry if I missed it before).

AR Newbie Registered Member
    I just would like to share my experience with this new amplifier . I bought a pair of UPA-1s for a dual mono set up for listening to music. I have to admit that I used them only for two days. The amps look nice, seem to be well built. They can produce strong bass and run cool. They are dynamic, have good separation due to the dual mono configuration.

However, from the point of view of sound quality, I did not have any excitements described by those on the Emotiva's own forum at all. The problem is the congested/veiled upper-mid and high frequency, lack inner dynamics. They are troubled by violin and piano. The music produced on these amps sounded dry and lack of elasticity. My pair of Rotel 980s configured in dual mono can produce music obviously more lively, much more enjoyable. The comparison was made with the same source: a Sony NS999ES CD/SACD player, the same preamps: a DIY passive preamp with a 27-step pot or a Parasound 850 active preamp, the same speakers: NHT 2.9.

I did try the UPA-1s in my second sound system. There, my two Rotel 960s in dual mono set up also performed better. In this setup, the source is from a PC ->Monarch 24/96 DIP jitter reducer->A MSB Nelson Link DAC III->Rotel 960 preamp->NHT Classic 3 with a NHT sub one.

I was disappointed because I wanted to upgrade my Rotel 980s by these UPA-1. But for music, I definitely have to keep my Rotels. UPA-1s might be very suitable for home theater because they can produce stronger/puncher bass than the Rotels. Also, I might have made my conclusion too early, I should have waited a little longer to give the UPA-1s some time to break-in.

I was wondering why I did not have the same positive experience as those posted on Emotiva's forum. By reading the posts there, I found that some of the posts are for HT setups and some are for upgrading from receivers. I wish to read feed-backs by comparing the UPA-1 with other well-known amps in a pure music set up.

After this experience, I did read the descriptions of some Emotiva's amps on its web more carefully. I found that the UPA-1 is a simpler amp than XPA-1 and XPA-2, and I realized I was expecting too much from UPA-1. My plan now is to save more for Emotiva's biggest amp: the mono XPA-1.

No flame please, I just would like to share my experience. Hope this post can balance those posts on Emotiva's web and help people to choose Emotiva's amps, especially those looking for new amps mainly for music.
    Last edited by midhifi; 02-24-2010 at 08:44 PM.

nightflier
    midhifi, let us know if the sound changes as these break in. Or have you returned them already?

AR Newbie Registered Member
    I ran them for two days, but they changed little. I haven't returned them yet. I am still breaking them in. Hope they can make enough change so that I can keep them.
    Last edited by midhifi; 02-24-2010 at 08:24 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information