Forum Regular

Question marantz better than denon? Denon under power?

hi guys,
    if i use the B&W 602s3 to match the marantz SR7500 and Denon AVR2807 with one more better.. my choice is marantz or denon . ..
    i do some research and i found out at ecoustics.com and caught me surprised, one of the user (Hawk) said:

the Denon was rated at 110wpc, as I recall, but when tested, it turns out that Denon, like most mass brands, has an underpowered power supply. It can generate its rated power, but only into two channels at the same time (per the 35 year old FTC standards). When powering 5 channels, it actually fell to about 65-70wpc (per testing by Sound & Vision).

IS THAT TRUE????. denon is underpowered??

marantz SR7500 is THX cert and denon avr 2807 is HDMi. HDMi is more on Picture side.
    most of time i play music. HDMi not so important rite???????

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    The 2807 will have more then enough to power 602's or 603's if you ever upgrade.
    Look & Listen

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by jedi
    i do some research and i found out at ecoustics.com and caught me surprised, one of the user (Hawk) said:

the Denon was rated at 110wpc, as I recall, but when tested, it turns out that Denon, like most mass brands, has an underpowered power supply. It can generate its rated power, but only into two channels at the same time (per the 35 year old FTC standards). When powering 5 channels, it actually fell to about 65-70wpc (per testing by Sound & Vision).

Yes it's true the Denon won't deliver 110 wpc to all 7 speakers at the same time for more than a single split second...what he isn't telling you is how little that matters. 99% of the time only 2 or 3 speakers are making most of the sound...For the very rare times all speakers are playing full volume at the same time, 40 wpc is quite a bit for most speakers in most rooms...wouldn't worry about this - the all-channels-driven argument is poorly used.
    If the Denon is 60 watts x 7, 110 watts x 7 isn't that much louder...

Hi Jedi - both Denon and Marantz are owned by D&M Holdings, so these brands share many components and technologies.

The DM602 S3 will pair very well with a Denon AVR-2807

Sound Fanatic
    The term "underpowered" doesn't fit with anything you've said. Yes, the Denon produces less than it's 2-channel rated power when all channels are driven. Same with the Marantz. Same with everything you can buy. When you're driving 5 extra channels, it makes a bit of sense that that is more taxing to the power supply doesn't it? It won't make a lick of difference in usage though since you'd go deaf long before you ever approached the 2807's power limits all-channels driven.

marantz SR7500 is THX cert and denon avr 2807 is HDMi. HDMi is more on Picture side. most of time i play music. HDMi not so important rite???????
    If most of the time all you do is play music, then the whole question of 7-channel power limits really becomes a silly one. If you have no need for HDMI then it's not important - nobody here can answer the question of HDMI's importance to you for you.

Forum Regular
    D&M Holdings is just that, a holding company not a manufacturer.

golden ear
    id go for a Marantz over Denon. Denon sounds too thin to me.Marantz has better dynamics and beef on the lower end

Forum Regular
    I compared Denon and Marantz. Marantz sounds warmer, Denon cleaner but thinner. Listen to them to decide which you like better.

Am I the only person that has had better luck with Denon than Marantz? Not that Marantz has been awful, but I would still pick Denon anyday. Who else is with me?

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I find them all to be pretty much the same give or take extremely small differences in tonality...my Marantz receivers sounded fine. I've never owned a Denon yet, they've always seemed to finish runner-up or so when I've bought, mostly on price for features compared to whatever else I was looking at...maybe someday I'll find the right deal on one.

Forum Regular
    If you're playing mostly music , I'd recommend an integrated amp or at least a decent stereo receiver like a Harman HK3480.

The Marantz PM7001 will run circles around the low end Denon HT receivers. I've tried them both. The Denon is anemic and rather sterile .... a cryin' shame to listen to.
    The PM 7001 and HK3480 have excellent clarity and bass..... the HK a little smoother overall.

But hey, that's my liking ..... you may like anemic sound But , if want the B&W's to begin to reach their potential ..... you've got to drive them with something good.... in my opinion.

Good luck

5years ago I was in hunt for a HT receiver. I was auditioning 3803 vs 7200 (first one with PLII, etc.) I think. 3803 was paired with Paradigm Monitor 9s, while Marantz 7200 where paired with B&W DM 604s. It's hard to make a comparason for the some obvious reasons, but I strongly remember loving the sound of Marantz. 7200 produced much fuller sound, while Denon sounded thin as usual.
    At the time, Marantz receivers had some SERIOUS QC issues. There were so many people complaing about lemon this and lemon that, I ended up buying Rotel RSX-972. I was extremely glad I did.
    I think that was first time I started using this site under some moniker I just cannot remember to save my life.

What are Denon receivers up to now? 3809? It's becoming like PC industry.... My older computer performs just fine though.

-JRA

What do you mean what are the denon receivers up to now? Model numbers change, you've never noticed?
    Look & Listen

Quote Originally Posted by shokhead
    What do you mean what are the denon receivers up to now? Model numbers change, you've never noticed?
    I was trying to be a smartass about it. I tried but you didnt like it.
    It just amazes me that Denon are trying to sell the helloutta their HT receivers by introducing new model every fiscal year. Sure they maybe be better/worst, just really kills me. Someone may have stated in past that changes made are very neccesary dude to technological advancement. If that's the case, they should really observe trends and introduce products that will not amke consumers feel like they own "inferior" products. Sure if everyone could afford their top of the line receivers, they dont really have to worry as much on upgrades. I'm gonna get off here before Denon introduces AVR-2810.

-JRA

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    It just amazes me that Denon are trying to sell the helloutta their HT receivers by introducing new model every fiscal year. Sure they maybe be better/worst, just really kills me. Someone may have stated in past that changes made are very neccesary dude to technological advancement. If that's the case, they should really observe trends and introduce products that will not amke consumers feel like they own "inferior" products. Sure if everyone could afford their top of the line receivers, they dont really have to worry as much on upgrades. I'm gonna get off here before Denon introduces AVR-2810.
    Every new generation of Denon receivers introduces new features, or allows for features from higher models to trickle down. This year consumers are demanding new features such as HDMI, XM Radio, iPod integration, video upconversion, and 1080p switching. Next year they'll be demanding HDMI 1.3, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, XM-HD, Internet Radio, and much more. You do not need to purchase top of the line receivers to benefit from this trickle down effect, as all entry-level receivers will have these features in 2-3 years.

Now take the Mercedes S-Class as an example. Over the years, this ultra luxury vehicle has been the first vehicle in the world with front and rear crumple zones, anti-lock brakes, traction control, airbags, and pre-tensionning seat belts. These bleeding-edge and expensive features have now trickled down to the entry-level offerings of all car manufacturers.

I appreciate that Mercedes competes in a free market, and releases a new product every fiscal year. By the same token, I appreciate that Denon, Yamaha, Marantz, Pioneer, Rotel, Onkyo and HK compete and release new products in an open market, as in the end the consumer wins.

Cool

hi guys,
    if i use the B&W 602s3 to match the marantz SR7500 and Denon AVR2807 with one more better.. my choice is marantz or denon . ..

marantz SR7500 is THX cert and denon avr 2807 is HDMi. HDMi is more on Picture side.
    most of time i play music. HDMi not so important rite???????
    Get the brand your loyal to, add a "pound the speakers to death amp", get your trusty
    SPL meter/test disc set-up, and forever be done with the WPC issue. Trust me, find
    a place in the budget for it.
    Sunfire TGP-5 Pre/Pro
    Carver A760-x
    Carver TFM25
    Carver TFM15 x 2
    Sunfire Signature "True Sub"
    JBL Studio L890(Front)
    JBL Studio L830(Rear)
    Infinity PC350(Center)
    Oppo Digital 983H
    Panasonic Viera TH-46PZ85U
    Panasonic DMP-BD50 Blu-ray Player
    Power Protection/Filters-Monster HTS 5100 MKII
    Canare Interconnects

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo

-JRA
    Sorry,it must be me because you've lost me.
    Look & Listen

Quote Originally Posted by shokhead
    Sorry,it must be me because you've lost me.
    Me to, Everybody has new stuff every year.
    Sunfire TGP-5 Pre/Pro
    Carver A760-x
    Carver TFM25
    Carver TFM15 x 2
    Sunfire Signature "True Sub"
    JBL Studio L890(Front)
    JBL Studio L830(Rear)
    Infinity PC350(Center)
    Oppo Digital 983H
    Panasonic Viera TH-46PZ85U
    Panasonic DMP-BD50 Blu-ray Player
    Power Protection/Filters-Monster HTS 5100 MKII