New Arrival.....

.......Copland CTA 520.
    I came across this danish NIB amp at a great offer. Bought it. When I did my research into MC not HT (sorry sticks) last year I was very impressed by Copland amps.
    This one is solid state, but designed like a Tube amp. It is finished beautiful (the picture does not do it justice). Crap Camera too as my good one is still in Italy.
    The amp can also be bridged if so desired.
    I only had a quick listen over the weekend and it sounds very smooth without any grain at all. But best of all, it really loves the Steelhead and the Peak Consults.

Peace

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Arrival.....-pa290003.jpg  
    Last edited by Bernd; 10-30-2007 at 12:39 AM.
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Hey B

Congrats on the new arrival. This must be some special solid state amp for you to forgo your love of tubes. Did the Peaks require more current/watts than yer previous set-up rendered?

...And you're still pokin' yer nose about into HT, eh? Why don't I feel that area of the hobby is as completely cut of from your thinking as you'd have had us believe. Those big Logans got in your head didn't they, hehehe. Let us know when you wanna talk about "seamlessness across the front three channels" and "bass management".

Peace,

M

Oooooo.... Very nice. I'm green with NV.

Congrats Bernd. What's next?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

No, No, No.....

....I am still a 2 ch bottle head. I just really like the possibility to change the sound now and then. The Unison Research Performance is here for good and my reference. I tried the Sphinx and didn't like them very much.
    This amp might well stay.
    And thanks for the kind words guys.

Peace

Congrats Bernd!
    It must indeed be a special amp since you seem to like it alot, and it doesn't have a single tube in it

Never heard them, but I'm really curious how it would sound...
    btw, have you ever tried a Mcintosh with your system

Happy listening my friend,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

No, I never had Mac in my system. A friend has a complete Mcintosh setup. And very nice it is too.
    You welcome to listen Bert. Easy peasy. Train and channel tunnel.
    Peace

Nice!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bernd
    .......Copland CTA 520.
    I came across this danish BIB amp at a great offer. Bought it. When I did my research into MC not HT (sorry sticks) last year I was very impressed by Copland amps.
    This one is solid state, but designed like a Tube amp. It is finished beautiful (the picture does not do it justice). Crap Camera too as my good one is still in Italy.
    The amp can also be bridged if so desired.
    I only had a quick listen over the weekend and it sounds very smooth without any grain at all. But best of all, it really loves the Steelhead and the Peak Consults.

Peace
    Bernd, Copland have a fine reputation: congrats.

First, does the Copland replace you current powers, (at least while in use). Secondly what does the Peak Consults do?

I wonder whether the S/S amp in conjunction with the right tube preamp makes a tube amp superfluous? I remain very pleased with my Monarchy/Sonic Frontiers comb, that is, after rolled tubes to get the right sound from the SF

Very nice, Bernd! It's been years since I heard a Copland, and to be honest the brand came out of left field at the time. Unfortunately, they aren't very well known on this side of the pond. My friend had brought it over from Europe when he moved to the states. It seemed like a very smooth amp, IIRC, and the build quality was top notch.

Glad you like your new toy!

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Congratulations on the new equipment!
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Thanks for the kind...

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Bernd, Copland have a fine reputation: congrats.

First, does the Copland replace you current powers, (at least while in use). Secondly what does the Peak Consults do?

I wonder whether the S/S amp in conjunction with the right tube preamp makes a tube amp superfluous? I remain very pleased with my Monarchy/Sonic Frontiers comb, that is, after rolled tubes to get the right sound from the SF
    .....words guys.
    Bill, the Peak Consults are my speakers. And you're right that a good quality power amp partnered with a great tube pre sounds very musical and can indeed rival a full blown tube amp. Getting the mix right I find really hard. You seem to have done well with your set up. The Sphinx amps where just too clinical for my liking. The Unico DM seem to lack dynamics despite a large power reserve. Mind, this is all in my set up, somebody else may find the complete opposite.
    I am sure I will always keep my Unisom Research "Performance" as it is such a majestic amp in sound and look, but it uses one hell of a lot of electricity and heats my room up just a touch too much. On top of that great new tubes get harder to find and are not cheap. So exciting times ahead on the amp road.
    I am getting a second Copland CTA 520 on home trail to see if there is a big difference when used as two mono amps instead of the one stereo unit.
    The build quality and internal lay out has to be seen to be believed. The finest parts used und a workmanship that is beyond criticism.
    Anyway gives me something to do over the winter.

GM, how are you doing? I hope well. What's next for me? Well we are thinking of moving house next year (so a bigger dedicated room for me) hence the playing around with new amps, as I will then go for one of the larger Peak Consults.

Peace

Last edited by Bernd; 10-30-2007 at 12:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernd
    . What's next for me? Well we are thinking of moving house next year (so a bigger dedicated room for me) hence the playing around with new amps, as I will then go for one of the larger Peak Consults.

Peace

well a new house should be a huge upgrade
    I wish I had a bigger listening room/bedroom

any Peak consults in particular you have been thinking of??

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation