Forum Regular

New amp for vintage Marantz speakers

I have just completed auditioning 14 sets of both floorstanding and bookshelf speakers, and with those as my experience base I believe that I would have to spend about $3500 on a new pair to get sound equivalent to my floorstanding vintage Marantz circa 1975. Of those that I auditioned I prefer either the Thiel CS1.6 with Rel subwoofer, the B&W 805D, or the Quartet with Rel subwoofer.

Since I need to purchase an amplifier, I have decided to keep my 8 ohm Marantz speakers for the time being. Each 18"x32"x13" cabinet includes a new scanspeak Tweeter, an original 4 inch midrange, and an original 14 inch bass. The crossovers are all original. I don't know how efficient the speakers are, however they are louder than the five pair I have auditioned at home.

As of late I have been driving the speakers with a now-defunct Marantz multichannel receiver. I bought a new Sony multichannel receiver but returned it due to its terrible audio quality. I have been borrowing a tube JoLida JX 10 for the time being which I like, and can play louder than is comfortable.

I enjoy listening to all styles of music from classical, blues, jazz, rock, metal, etc.

In a new amplifier I only want two channels, and 4 inputs for a CD/PS3 player, phono with phonoamp, TV audio, and 1 spare for a possible future tuner. If I start with a budget of up to $1000, what would you recommend?

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Why get a new amp?
    If you went with a vintage Marantz receiver from the 22XX series i think you would be very happy with the sound. Personally I'd recommend either a 2245 or 2270. Either is a great receiver that even rehabbed with new caps would well within your budget.

The Marantz PM8003 is on sale for 45% off at musicdirect.com .

Forum Regular
    If your looking into tube amps, I would start with something like the Conrad Johnson MV-75 or may be even a restored Dynaco ST70. ( even better- mono pair if the price is right) That would take up most of your budget, so I would look at adding a Adcom GTP 565 pre-amp. These are great "Bang for the buck" pre-amps and can be found for a couple of hundred on the used market. The GTP 565 also has a very clean phono stage.

If I had to have a SS amp, again I would look at Adcom. They make 3 that you should check out. The GFA 565 mono blocks ( go for @ $800 ) are excellent. The GFA 5500 and 5800 ( @ $400 to $650 ) are also great deals. It's really hard to beat Adcom gear for the price.

AR Newbie Registered Member

possibility..

i could sell you a bryston 2B-LP for 950...

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pdc1453
    i could sell you a bryston 2B-LP for 950...

You can sell this amp in the Classifieds but not in the Forums.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Forum Regular

"Tuner type" input selector?

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    The Marantz PM8003 is on sale for 45% off at musicdirect.com .
    thanks. After looking at the picture I don't quite understand the "tuner type" input selector. Any thoughts?

Forum Regular

Better amplifier

Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    Why get a new amp?
    Thanks for the input.

I was led to believe that the audio industry has made significant improvements, and was wondering how good it could be!

My Marantz receiver of the mid-90s had many features that stopped working by the mid-2000s. I was hoping to avoid that disappointing performance with a better amplifier.

And lastly I don't need a tuner right now, and if eliminating that allows me to buy a better amplifier, then I'm game.

Trust me on this.

Quote Originally Posted by ctctc
    I was led to believe that the audio industry has made significant improvements, and was wondering how good it could be!
    The improvements aren't as mind-blowing as you're expecting them to be.

thanks. After looking at the picture I don't quite understand the "tuner type" input selector. Any thoughts?

It turns like a normal knob, with stops (like some volume controls), it's stepped.
    every "click" it makes changes the input, but instead of the usual markings next to each position on the selector, this is digital, and a light burns at the selected input (on the front).

since it's digital, the knob can be turned indefinitely, you turn it from left to right, it goes over all the inputs, and when you reach the last input, and you turn it one further, it just goes to the first input again...

hope that was somewhat clear
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Forum Regular

Tuner explanation

Quote Originally Posted by basite
    It turns like a normal knob, with stops (like some volume controls), it's stepped.
    every "click" it makes changes the input, but instead of the usual markings next to each position on the selector, this is digital, and a light burns at the selected input (on the front).

since it's digital, the knob can be turned indefinitely, you turn it from left to right, it goes over all the inputs, and when you reach the last input, and you turn it one further, it just goes to the first input again...

hope that was somewhat clear
    thanks.

Forum Regular

Kit

Quote Originally Posted by cjpremierfour
    If your looking into tube amps, I would start with something like the Conrad Johnson MV-75 or may be even a restored Dynaco ST70.
    thanks for the info.

The Conrad Johnson seems to me to be an old workhorse that if I happened to run into some day it might be fun to try.

I would love to build an amplifier, however I am confused by your use of the term "restored" for the Dynaco ST 70. I see that this is currently sold as a kit from triode electronics. Why the "restored"? Also, is there an integrated kit that you would recommend?

thanks for the info.

The Conrad Johnson seems to me to be an old workhorse that if I happened to run into some day it might be fun to try.

I would love to build an amplifier, however I am confused by your use of the term "restored" for the Dynaco ST 70. I see that this is currently sold as a kit from triode electronics. Why the "restored"? Also, is there an integrated kit that you would recommend?

well, they are in production longer than you think

it's sometimes said that the older ones (the original ones) are the best, and therefore it's better to restore one than to build a new one

the dynaco's are excellent amplifiers.

Also consider Eico's, since we're talking about restoring old masterpieces now...
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Quote Originally Posted by cjpremierfour
    If your looking into tube amps, I would start with something like the Conrad Johnson MV-75 or may be even a restored Dynaco ST70.
    While I like many C-J products (The ART is spectacular), this one has an Achilles Heel that immediately ruled it out for me: poor low level resolution. Years ago, I compared a pair of the "a" flavor to a Threshold Stasis which was significantly better at low levels. That was not a performance consideration that I thought about much - until it was absent.

rw

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basite
    well, they are in production longer than you think

it's sometimes said that the older ones (the original ones) are the best, and therefore it's better to restore one than to build a new one

the dynaco's are excellent amplifiers.

Also consider Eico's, since we're talking about restoring old masterpieces now...
    Agreed. Hey cctc, if you are looking for an amp which you can live with indefinitely, this would be a good option.

If infact the tube sound is to your liking, then restoring a classic is the most economical way to go. That said, restored units are available also on auction sites, etc.

I have restored a Golden Tube SE-40 and have an EICO HF85. These pieces will be with me forever now. They are truly pillars of hi fidelity. If I had to buy new I would never have been able to afford something comparable.

You need to consider your long term goals in this hobby, and channel your money effectively. Don't be hasty friend...

I believe the Eico HF-81 would be a nice starting ppoint for you, it's an integrated. Here's what Stereophile had to say. And we all know Stereophile have the biggest brains of us all.

http://www.stereophile.com/integratedamps/606eico/

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    I believe the Eico HF-81 would be a nice starting ppoint for you, it's an integrated.
    Thanks. I have been looking at the online listings for this amp and am intrigued by your recommendation and the reviews, however I am dismayed that all sales are final and shocked at the visual condition of most of these amps. Since I cannot afford to gamble on a looser, I would prefer to buy locally. I've looked on craigslist but as of yet have found none. I suppose that's just as well because now I need a new job more than I need a new amp! Thanks for all of your great recommendations!

Forum Regular
    When you find that new job you might consider this:

http://coolcatdaddy.blogspot.com/200...al-review.html

Thread Information