Forum Regular

Guys, more options ???

Hello everybody,

I joined this forum in 2002, since that time RGA and other guys have been in a battle to demostrate who has the reason when advice some component or brand. I really thank any advice from you guys. I am trying to improve my systems with used gear because money is a limitation right now. I have found more amplifiers near my location. B&K ST-2140 $200.00 and Adcom 555ll for $350. I like detailed sound and plenty of high frequency. I have listened some very hi-end systems in stores that sound flat and lack off many details. I believe music is not in that way and the best way to compare is to listen to live performance. I like to hear the symbals clear an natural but not strident. I have read many good things about B&K but I am not sure if they are lack off details and dark in the top end frequencies. What do you think about it driving the Studio 100 or B&W DM 602 s2??? Do you think I am going to miss details and the high gonna be rolled back???
    Last edited by dvjorge; 01-23-2010 at 07:27 PM.

I know some people will disagree with me on this but I personally would go for the Adcom 555II because I have worked with it myself and know that it is clean,smooth, and powerful enough to get good results with either speaker you metioned. I am not sure on the B&K since I have not worked with that model, I have heard a few B&K pieces but myself I prefer the sound of the 555II to a lot of amps that sell for these lower prices used. I have hooked up a lot of systems with the 500 and 5000 series Adcom amps and have owned myself a 545II for the last 17 years with know complaints and without any problems with it and absolutely love what it does especially knowing they can be had for the price of a cheap new receiver on the used market. But I will say that I have seen the 555II go for less than that online. Ebay or Audiogon has a lot of Adcom gear on their sites for low prices. I know I am going to get people on hear thinking my opinion is a joke because they don't like Adcom or are tube amp fanatics but me myself I like them and will stand strong on me recommending them to people wanting quality better than receiver amplification at lower prices.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Suspended
    I agree, go for the 555. Remember I told you I used my 5500, which is a newer version of the 555, to drive a friend's 100's and it rocked. The 555 is supposed to be a purer version of the Nelson Pass original design. Or, is it the original? I forgot the exact GFA history.

Any way, if not interested in that Krell maybe you can send me the PH#.

Another vote for Adcom. The B&K is OK but may have problems related to power supply current limiting. IE: they don't like loads below 8Ohms.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Another Adcom fan, here. I had a GFA-555II for a while. It was terrific. I still have a GFA-545II. The only reason I sold the 555 was that I could get better money for it than the 545 and I didn't need the extra power...and the power difference is pretty significant, obviously.

I had a GFA-535, also. It was very impressive for a 60-watt amp, but someone offered me more for it than I paid for the 545...so it's gone, too. I think the 535 is even better than people give it credit for. I liked being able to turn the volume knob a little further. I have to be more particular with the volume position on 545.

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    Another Adcom fan, here. I had a GFA-555II for a while. It was terrific. I still have a GFA-545II. The only reason I sold the 555 was that I could get better money for it than the 545 and I didn't need the extra power...and the power difference is pretty significant, obviously.

I had a GFA-535, also. It was very impressive for a 60-watt amp, but someone offered me more for it than I paid for the 545...so it's gone, too. I think the 535 is even better than people give it credit for. I liked being able to turn the volume knob a little further. I have to be more particular with the volume position on 545.
    What about the sound character of the three amps. I personally liked the 545II with all but the most inefficient speakers but I there were times when you had to get out the bigger guns with the 555 and 565 but to me with speakers of more efficient designs the 545 had a more balanced sound but as well it could of been just that when I heard them on the same model of speaker they were in different locations and that could of had a factor. now I did do a system where I had a customer who bought some Mirage M-3si bipolar speakers from me and they take quite a bit of power to make them sound their best and I sold him a 555II for the low end and a 545II for the upper end biamped and they sounded absolutely gorgeous and I don't think I have ever heard that speaker sound as smooth and natural. So to me the 555 and 545 are both good and it really depends on your power needs on which one you need.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I used my Adcom 535 and 535II with my Studio 40's...I liked the sound combo. Not the same gear, but same families...I'd give it a try.

Forum Regular
    I always thought Adcom was an step down from Nad, Rotel, B&K, Acurus, Parasound and other mid-fi brands.

Suspended
    NAD & Rotel have broader lines but I don't consider Adcom a step down. In fact I prefer Adcom to most of the models in those lines.

I like harley's bi-amping options. The Adcom preamps have the necessary extra outputs. I also think harley's probably right about the sound of the 545II. It didn't bother me to sell the 555II when I had the 545II.

Suspended
    I don't know how much they changed things in the 5400 & 5500 from the 545/555 but in these amps the 5500 was much smoother and balanced sounding. The 5500 had more output devices. You could tell what the extra expense was for. Looking back and realizing now an extra amp could be handy I wish I hadn't sold the 5500. It had a very appealing sound to me.

I don't know what else might have changed, but the 5400 had more power than the 545.

Go for the B&K sound. Warmer and a little darker. It will handle 4 ohms no problem with 185wpc. Here's a nice review. It's too bad that B&K does not get the respect that it used to. Their amps are built like tanks, have a wonderful sound, never harsh or fatiguing and are real bargains. They would be my first choice for a budget or entry level HiFi amp, sorry Emotiva fans!

http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/bk_pt3_st2140.htm
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    dvjorge, I know you are on a budget but take a look at this to see why I recommended the 250a http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....Krell-KAV-250a

Quote Originally Posted by dvjorge
    .... I like detailed sound and plenty of high frequency. ...
    Yet another endorsement for the Adcom GFA-555II. I owned this amp for a while and enjoyed it a lot. Lots of power; pretty good resolution though not ultimate; over all a good sound.

On the other hand, while the bass is neutral, (unlike say, NAD), the highers are on the warm side and a tad "dark". I like that balance, but, Dvjorge, if you want "plenty of high frequency" the 555II might not the the ultimate amp for you.

Thread Information