• 02-15-2007, 01:37 PM
    lewburgh
    Need an amp? $600 to spend
    Hello,

In the market for an amplifier for my system. I am in the process of upgrading my system. Just bought a Marantz CD5001, Athena RS1 for rears, Acoustech HT-65 Center, Velodyne DSP-12 Sub and haven't decided on the fronts but think I may purchase the Acoustech HT-75s. Any suggestions would be great. Was looking at NAD 2200.

Lew

HK AVR525
    Toshiba 51" HDTV VSX7?
    Samsung HD-850
    Marantz CD5001
    Acoustech HT-65 Center
    Athena RS1s Rears
    Velodyne DSP-12 Sub
    Fronts?
  • 02-15-2007, 03:36 PM
    blackraven
    Are you wanting a receiver, HT or integrated amp or separate amp and pre amp for 2ch or HT use. For receivers for HT use in that price range I prefer Onkyo SR804 but you will have to search online for that price. I also like the Yamaha HTR series 5990, 6090, 5890.
    You might even be able to get a Denon 2806.
  • 02-15-2007, 06:47 PM
    lewburgh
    Pre amp
    I guess what I am looking for is a two channel preamp. Whatever I can purchase to get the most out of my front speakers for two channel audio and if it can improve upon my movie experience even better. May purchase the Acoustech HT-75s. Do you have any other suggestions that would fit my current system? Will spend more money. My brother was suggesting B&W 603s. He's kind of partial to B&W. I appreciate the advice. I am obviously not nearly as knowledgable when it comes to understanding high end audio but would like to think I am learning a thing or two along the way from the experts here.

Thanks again,
    Lew
  • 02-18-2007, 04:04 PM
    audio_dude
    wait, so do you have an H/T receiver already? ok, i'll let the other amp masters sort this one out...

and i'll give you some speaker advice!
    Actually, i'd recommend checking out paradigm's new monitor line, they've upgraded all the speakers with new mid/bass drivers and titanium tweeters. Give them a listen! (ps, if you haven't heard of paradigm before, they're designed and manufactured right up here in [as of right now] chilly canada!)
  • 02-18-2007, 04:51 PM
    lewburgh
    Speaker advice
    Was going to keep my HK AVR525 for home theater use and buy another amp for two channel audio for music but have decided against this for now. Money issue. Will check out the Paradigm speakers but probably will not buy any new speakers until my girlfriend and i get a house. Looking at MMGs.

Thanks for the info,
    Lew
  • 02-18-2007, 07:54 PM
    royphil345
    My opinion is that the HK receiver is fine if you're into home theater and can't spend a ton of money on separates. The amps in HK aren't bad at all.

If you go with very efficient speakers like the Acoustechs, I don't see much reason for an external amp right now, especially since you're running a powered sub. You'd be able to go a little louder, but that's about it... maybe a slight increase in detail... The only reason I'd add an external amp for the two main channels right now is to drive difficult or less efficient speakers. The Maggies might be happier with an external amp.

Just have to decide what speakers you want and do what's necessary to drive them. The NAD 2200 is nice. Something in the 200 WPC range that will drive any speaker you're likely to come across may be a better investment in the long run. Would likely never want to upgrade...

With your budget... I'd be tempted to pick up the Acoustechs since you already have the center channel. Put the rest of the cash away and continue to save if you want to do an amp / speaker upgrade eventually. Having a good starter system is a good place to start. If it leaves you wanting for something more, you'll develop a clearer picture of what that something is. Then, go audition some gear, audition more gear... see if there's anything out there that could convince you to upgrade.

It also sounds like you're considering purchasing many things you haven't heard. Everybody's tastes are a little different. Sometimes you can look for a particular characteristic in a component to compliment another... You're just going to end up with a system you don't like by taking shots in the dark. Slow down, go to some stores and listen to some quality speakers and other components. It's worth a road trip or two if there aren't any high-end shops in your area. Keep saving the money... Eventually, you'll find some speakers that you really want to own over anything else. You'll then be more able to figure out what would be necessary to get the best out of them...
  • 02-18-2007, 10:51 PM
    lewburgh
    Thanks Royphil!
    Yeah you are probably right about getting out to audition some speakers. Will definetely do that with the MMGs in the future. There's a cool little high end store in Dayton about 5 minutes from my house called Hansons- hansonav.com. I got a little excited when I started to do some research and realized that for about the same money I could probably get much sweeter sounding speakers. Had all JBL Northridge series speakers until I recently replaced them all. The speakers were OK at best for movies and awful for music in my opinion. My JBL E60s fronts sounded flat, bass was slow unresponsive, and highs were intrusive and harsh to say the least especially with cymbals. I think I'll be much happier with what I have know. Still waiting on the fronts, rears, cables, ATS acoustic panels as are in the mail.

Thanks again Royphil,
    Lew

I think everything should happen at halfway to dawn. That's when all the heads of government should meet. I think everybody would fall in love.
    Billy Strayhorn
  • 02-19-2007, 04:52 PM
    audio_dude
    Nice choice, maggies are great little speakers, but i don't know how well they'd do with movies...?

yeh, i'm stuck right now, ask Florian...
  • 02-19-2007, 05:13 PM
    blackraven
    My Maggies do great with movies for my tastes.
  • 02-19-2007, 06:30 PM
    lewburgh
    Audio dude,
    Probabley will keep the Acoustech HT-75 fronts, HT-65 center, Athena R1 rears, Velodyne DPS-12, and HK AVR525 for home theater applications and buy the Outlaw 2ch amp and MMGs specifically for 2 channel audio music.

Lew
  • 02-24-2007, 04:08 AM
    dd24skater
    my acurus 200 x 3 is on ebay right now