Thread: Advice sought

AR Newbie Registered Member

Advice sought

My first post, so excuse any ignorance.
    I am upgrading my speakers from Totem Rainmakers to Totem Sttafs. (Thought about B&W because I've still got a 1985 pair of DM17s I really liked, but decided they were too expensive). I have a Cambridge Audio 640C CD player and a vintage Scott A426 amp that I bought cheap off a guy on Craigslist.
    I listen to jazz, classical and Leonard Cohen/Van Morrison/Joni Mitchell-type pop played at about 4 on the volume dial in a small room.
    Two questions:
    Am I making a good speaker choice?
    Should I spring for a new amp, maybe a Cambridge Audio?

nightflier

It all depends on how much you want to spend

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Boone
    Am I making a good speaker choice?
    The Sttafs are probably a good upgrade from the Rainmakers but mostly in relation to bass. I believe the drivers are fairly similar, but the cabinet is obviously larger. But if you have deeper pockets, there are other choices. I haven't actually heard the Sttafs, but I really do like the Winds, and always considered them more bang-for-the-buck. Love those Dynaudio-sourced drivers, too.

Should I spring for a new amp, maybe a Cambridge Audio?
    From what you listed, it seems to me that you prefer a more analytical sound over a warmer, softer sound. Try it first with the Scott. I don't know the model, but I presume it's also not that powerful. The CA amps will not add much warmth, but will add more power that you may need for the Sttafs.

But it really depends on your budget and the type of sound you prefer.
    Last edited by nightflier; 01-26-2009 at 03:41 PM.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Mike welcome to AudioReview! I guess my first question is with your current system is there something you find lacking? Your speaker upgrade sounds like a good step up and I would not worry until you have them hooked up and try them with your system. There is a local dealer that pairs Totems with Cambridge Audio but I have not heard the combination. Do you have a set budget? One advantage to a CA int amp is the remote will work with both amp and cd player. Oh and I like your taste in music.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

I just found myself with a few inherited bucks to spend and decided to upgrade audio. I'd like to keep speaker expenditure within $2,000 to $2,500 Cdn. And I'd like to support a Canadian manufacturer, so I'm looking at Totems and Paradigm Signature S2s, which get great reviews.

I just found myself with a few inherited bucks to spend and decided to upgrade audio. I'd like to keep speaker expenditure within $2,000 to $2,500 Cdn. And I'd like to support a Canadian manufacturer, so I'm looking at Totems and Paradigm Signature S2s, which get great reviews.

Also look at the PSB Synchrony Two's.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

They're kind of expensive. Worth it?

The Two's MSRP at $3000/pr so I assume you could find a pair for less. Now the One's are a bit more expensive @ $4600/pr. The "worth it" it part is up to you.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Thread Information