Forum Regular

Need advice - Chossing between a Emotiva UPA 7 or XPA 5

Just some advice needed, as currently I am deciding for which setup to go for.

The speakers I use are the DIamond 9 series (9.3 for mains, 9cm for my center and 9.1 for my rears), I don't really see myself doing the 7 channel speaker set up. So decision is do I spend the money on the XPA 5, or get the UPA 7 and have the ability to Biamp the mains?

Listening to my HT is top priority and music comes second. But if I can use for equal purposes, even better for me

MY main speakers have a power handling rating of 30-120W, and my center is 30-150W, and my rears are 20-100W.

SO this is my dilemma. They are 6 ohm speakers. I am currently using a Yamaha 663, so if that can drive them without any issues, I am certain the UPA 7 will be more than sufficient.

nightflier
    Actually, the 6ohm rating on most speakers shouldn't be a real issue for 8ohm taps. I'm pretty sure it relates more to the lower limit these will dip to, and since your current receiver is handling them fine, then I don't think they are a heavy load.

I'm also not so sure how much of a benefit you will have from bi-amping the fronts with the same amp. Typically bi-amping has more merit with seperate amps that then play on their respective strengths. So my vote would be for the XPA, and you'll have a bit more power for those bass-heavy passages (especially if you won't be using a sub).

Just out of curiosity, does Time-Lord have any reference to The KLF?

Forum Regular
    I do have a sub for HT use. I have always wondered about bi amping. Whether bi amping is better off with a separate power, rather than bi amping but using the same amplifier (with my current Yamaha 663, I do have front speakers bi amped, but to be honest, I don;t think I was able to tell the difference lol)

I may on average be better off just either getting the UPA 5 or XPA 5, just still gotta decide. ANd even if I was to get the XPA 5, I don't listen to music at high levels. More moderate.

Oh yeah, as to my username, I am big Doctor WHo fan

nightflier
    I would still get the XPA, the extra power will still come in handy during the big symphonic scores that most movies come with these days.

Ah, yes, Doctor Who, that's where the KLF got the name from, too. I miss their antics.

XPA-5 is Nice

And if you ever go with a balanced Pre-pro it will be ready.
    Get some help handling this beast it is over 80 pounds.
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

The XPA-5 is a great amp and will benefit your speakers sound stage. The extra power will open them up better at lower volumes.
    HT system:
    Marantz SR7001 receiver
    Emotiva UPA-2 Amplifier
    Adcom GDV-870 DVD-A/CD player
    Yamaha S1800 DVD/SACD player
    Panasonic DMP-BD60K blu Ray player
    PSB Image series speakes s/s
    Dayton RSS210HF 8" reference sub
    Hitachi 46" HD projector screen

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_a
    The XPA-5 is a great amp and will benefit your speakers sound stage. The extra power will open them up better at lower volumes.
    So even though the room in use is only 3.5 x 3.5, at lower volumes it wouldn' really matter. ANd since I presume it be my av receiver controlling th evolume, it is just a matter of setting a max volume in the setup so it doesn't go too load, don't wanna risk blowing my speakers

These AV receivers of today, the power just feels weak for alot of these mid range units.

Then again it is always good to future proof, so if ever my stuff is put into a larger room, then that will come in handy as I will have that extra power.

Quote Originally Posted by Time_Lord
    So even though the room in use is only 3.5 x 3.5, at lower volumes it wouldn' really matter. ANd since I presume it be my av receiver controlling th evolume, it is just a matter of setting a max volume in the setup so it doesn't go too load, don't wanna risk blowing my speakers

These AV receivers of today, the power just feels weak for alot of these mid range units.

Then again it is always good to future proof, so if ever my stuff is put into a larger room, then that will come in handy as I will have that extra power.
    Are those dimensions 3.5 feet x 3.5 feet?

Anyway
    The higher power of the XPA-5 wont blow the speakers unless you are deliberately trying to blow them.
    But what you will have is better speaker control and synergy with the out board amp verses the Yamaha's internal amp.
    My surround speakers are rated at 150 watts @ 8 ohm and was previously running a an ATI amp producing 150 per channel @ 8 ohm.
    After getting the XPA-5 200 @ 8 Ohm I was surprised at the increase in the resolution and drive the speakers are now producing and not once have they sounded over powered.
    The build quality is amazing at the XPA-5 price level heck it is on par with units costing 5 times as much heck I paid more for a used ATI amp many years ago.
    It will be a purchase you wont regret
    http://emotiva.com/xpa5.shtm
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Forum Regular
    The current room size is 3.5 x 3.5 meters.

I am hearing so much about the XPA 5 and how good it is for value for money. ANd considering here in Australia, alot of equipment here is so overpriced, I am considering going this option and to buy a XPA 5

Quote Originally Posted by Time_Lord
    The current room size is 3.5 x 3.5 meters.

I am hearing so much about the XPA 5 and how good it is for value for money. ANd considering here in Australia, alot of equipment here is so overpriced, I am considering going this option and to buy a XPA 5
    Oh meters yeah that would be a tiny room if it was in feet lol
    Emotiva will ship internationally
    http://emotiva.com/quote.html
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

nightflier
    At these prices, why not consider an XPA-2 + XPA-3? If I had to do my HT room over, that's the way I'd do it (but my speakers require a bit more power to get going, too). That's the wonderful thing about Klipsch speakers: they will work with flea-watt amps but they will also take as much power as you throw at them. My old RF7s could shake the whole house.

I've owned a number of Klipsch speakers over the years (still have a pair of RB5s in the garage), and I have never worried about over-driving them. We did an outdoor guitar-hero stage this year, using just my speakers, and the sound was so loud that we had to keep the volume to 11 o'clock or less the whole evening using a crappy old Harman amp. Granted, this wasn't audiophile sound, but it certainly rocked the neighborhood. And that's from a measly 17" tall bookshelf.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Time_Lord View Post
    I do have a sub for HT use. I have always wondered about bi amping. Whether bi amping is better off with a separate power, rather than bi amping but using the same amplifier (with my current Yamaha 663, I do have front speakers bi amped, but to be honest, I don;t think I was able to tell the difference lol)

I may on average be better off just either getting the UPA 5 or XPA 5, just still gotta decide. ANd even if I was to get the XPA 5, I don't listen to music at high levels. More moderate.

Oh yeah, as to my username, I am big Doctor WHo fan
    In order to actually Bi Amp a speaker you have to physically remove the crossover inside the speaker purchase 2 amplifiers and an electric external crossover. This is why you heard no difference. If your using a amp for bottom and receiver for top all you've done is give the crossover more heat to burn off. I used Wharfedale for years do yourself a favor throw em away and go buy some NHT's. These speakers respect good amplification. Or if your hell bent on wharfedale let me know I have a complete set of the original EVO's I'd take 3 hundred for all 7.
    Cheers,
    Bruce

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Time_Lord View Post
    Just some advice needed, as currently I am deciding for which setup to go for.

The speakers I use are the DIamond 9 series (9.3 for mains, 9cm for my center and 9.1 for my rears), I don't really see myself doing the 7 channel speaker set up. So decision is do I spend the money on the XPA 5, or get the UPA 7 and have the ability to Biamp the mains?

Listening to my HT is top priority and music comes second. But if I can use for equal purposes, even better for me

MY main speakers have a power handling rating of 30-120W, and my center is 30-150W, and my rears are 20-100W.

SO this is my dilemma. They are 6 ohm speakers. I am currently using a Yamaha 663, so if that can drive them without any issues, I am certain the UPA 7 will be more than sufficient.
    Wharfedale's are funny speakers. Ignore the ohm rating. They are real easy to drive. However they "clean" up allot w/ better amplification. Any quality amp rated @ 125 per channel will bring out their full potential, past that is overkill. The UPA is an excellent choice. You should notice a better cohesiveness from system not any day and night difference in volume.
    Cheers,
    Bruce

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebos12367 View Post
    In order to actually Bi Amp a speaker you have to physically remove the crossover inside the speaker purchase 2 amplifiers and an electric external crossover. This is why you heard no difference. If your using a amp for bottom and receiver for top all you've done is give the crossover more heat to burn off. I used Wharfedale for years do yourself a favor throw em away and go buy some NHT's. These speakers respect good amplification. Or if your hell bent on wharfedale let me know I have a complete set of the original EVO's I'd take 3 hundred for all 7.
    Cheers,
    Bruce
    I have bi-amped a pair of speakers with the internal crossovers and could clearly hear the difference, good-bad-or otherwise.

I used an SS Stratos for the bottom and a Hybrid Counterpoint for the top. I could hear the characteristics of each amp respectively in the drivers they were controlling. Not an optimum setup for sure but you can hear a difference with certain amps and speaker combinations.

Thread Information