AR Newbie Registered Member

need advice on amp selection

Hey everyone,
    Just purchased a pair of gallo reference 3's and need help figuring our which amp would be best suited for them, any ideas? Mainly interested in a 2c setup but will also want to use the setup in connection with a home theater projector.
    thanks

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

I had good luck with the Musical Fidelity A3cr

Quote Originally Posted by asfaraas
    Hey everyone,
    Just purchased a pair of gallo reference 3's and need help figuring our which amp would be best suited for them, any ideas? Mainly interested in a 2c setup but will also want to use the setup in connection with a home theater projector.
    thanks
    Which is what I was driving my Gallo Reference 3's with. A reciever will drive them, but a seperate amp would be better. I also had them working as both Audio & HT, and they worked fine. Gallo make some great sattilites too.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Price range? What are you using for a pre?

Forum Regular

need advice on amp selection

Chris Martins in the Absolute Sound said at least 50 watts and perferably more they really like top shelf amplification so i would not do a receiver at least a good itergrated its very important for its imaging its an increadible buy dont short change yourself this kind of performance usaully costs a whole more try the Musical Fidelity A5 intergrated amp i bought the X-150 as astonishing as it is for its price i wish i would have gotten A5 and if you want a warm sound try Moon I-3 very nice and relaxing with well extended bass wich you will need for those 10 inch bass drivers its not quit as tonally faithful as the A5 and not as much power as A5 but it is a true conservative 100 watt amp all three are the best i have heard at their price.Oh the review on the Ref 3s Oct./ Nov. issue Absolute Sound.

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Price range? What are you using for a pre?
    still have not decided integrated vs a pre/pro, price range 2-3K, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by T BOMB25
    Chris Martins in the Absolute Sound said at least 50 watts and perferably more they really like top shelf amplification so i would not do a receiver at least a good itergrated its very important for its imaging its an increadible buy dont short change yourself this kind of performance usaully costs a whole more try the Musical Fidelity A5 intergrated amp i bought the X-150 as astonishing as it is for its price i wish i would have gotten A5 and if you want a warm sound try Moon I-3 very nice and relaxing with well extended bass wich you will need for those 10 inch bass drivers its not quit as tonally faithful as the A5 and not as much power as A5 but it is a true conservative 100 watt amp all three are the best i have heard at their price.Oh the review on the Ref 3s Oct./ Nov. issue Absolute Sound.
    thanks, any thoughts about Naim's Nait 5i with these speakers?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    Which is what I was driving my Gallo Reference 3's with. A reciever will drive them, but a seperate amp would be better. I also had them working as both Audio & HT, and they worked fine. Gallo make some great sattilites too.
    thanks, what would be the approx price on that?

Audio Enthusiast
    i would suggest odyssey khartago monoblocks with 150wpc and a big 100 amps of current on tap coupled with a odyssey tempest preamp would go great with the gallo reference 3,s. i make this recomendation based on your 2 to 3k budget if you could stretch your budget to just below $3.800 you could get a pair of stratos mono extremes with 300wpc 120 amps of current along with the tempest preamp. i have owned the khartago monos in the past and now presently own a pair of mono extremes and the tempest pre amp and these power amplifiers are based on the german made symphonic line rg 11power amplifier by mr rolf gemien and i personaly feel they offer the best cost vs performance ratio in the high end industry. plus with a twenty year warranty and 30 day money back trial period you cannot go wrong even if you decide they are not your cup of tea.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

The A3cr is discontinued

Quote Originally Posted by asfaraas
    thanks, what would be the approx price on that?
    But, it's direct decendant the A5 is. There's an A5 intergrated with a massive 250 WPC.

It's about $2800 new

http://www.musicalfidelity.com/mf/en/Products/A5

Of course you could also make me an offer for my A3cr..
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Thread Information