Nad c372 or ?

Printable View

• 12-28-2006, 02:28 PM
    TedB
    Nad c372 or ?
    I have a pair of klipsch lascala's and an old 2330 Marantz receiver. I would like to upgrade my Amplifier which is a Yamaha I've been using temporarily due to lack of funds. Everyone recommends various tube amps but they're priced a little bit above what I wanted to spend which is ~$1000 or less. Hence I started looking at Nad integrated amps (c372 or c272 with preamp). Also am looking at Nad c272 but that would require a preamp.

Is there a big advantage to having a separate pre amp as opposed to an integrated?

Any comments regarding the c372 specifically the compatibility with my lascala's?

Any other amplifiers out there for less the $1000 that I might consider?
  • 12-28-2006, 02:38 PM
    Carl Reid
    Both Marantz and Cambridge Audio produce Integrateds under $1k.... so those are two other options worth considering....

As for the C372..... well check out the product yourself to ensure you like it... and I'd also strongly suggest reading the user reviews for it on this site... before you purchase one...

I had a C352, that I suspect would sound good with Klipschs.... but I never actually had the chance to pair them together....
  • 12-29-2006, 06:09 AM
    Grandpaw
    NAD C370 for sale shortly
    Welcome to the forum Ted. You might want to get in touch with Bingo a couple of posts down because he has a NAD C370 in mint condition he is getting ready to sell it shortly. Bingo is a good friend of mine and is in his 80's and takes immaculate care of everything he has. He is replacing his NAD with a Bryson this coming week and will be selling his NAD shortly and you can probably save yourself a lot of money if you get in touch with him, Jeff
  • 12-29-2006, 07:19 PM
    TedB
    Thanks all for your comments. I am having second thoughts about the Nad for several reasons. First it does appear that there may be some kind of problem with over heating. In fact Nad does have a blurb on thier web site about a handful of units basically burning up literally and suggests that it is due to poor ventilation.

I spent all my lunch money on my lascala's and am thinking it would be ashame not to go the distance and by a real good quality amp. So I'm going to aim for a little higher budget on my amp and put it off for few more weeks.

Any suggestions on an integrated that would be a good match for my klipsch speaks?

I have an old marantz 2330 receiver that I think is well built and sounds good so maybe I should be looking at Marantz amp's?
  • 12-30-2006, 07:39 AM
    JohnMichael
    You have chosen some very efficient speakers. The electronics you partner with them should be very low in noise. Some tube amps produce noise not noticeable on less efficient speakers but will produce a bit of a rushing sound with your speakers. Luckily you do not have to pay for many watts. Quality over quantity will be best in your system. I like my Cambridge Azur 640A and recommend it to many but I do not know how it would perform with your speakers.
  • 01-03-2007, 03:06 AM
    Garth
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TedB
    I have a pair of klipsch lascala's and an old 2330 Marantz receiver. I would like to upgrade my Amplifier which is a Yamaha I've been using temporarily due to lack of funds. Everyone recommends various tube amps but they're priced a little bit above what I wanted to spend which is ~$1000 or less. Hence I started looking at Nad integrated amps (c372 or c272 with preamp). Also am looking at Nad c272 but that would require a preamp.

Is there a big advantage to having a separate pre amp as opposed to an integrated?

Any comments regarding the c372 specifically the compatibility with my lascala's?

Any other amplifiers out there for less the $1000 that I might consider?

Ted,

Whatever you choose, I recommend buying it from somewhere you can try it, and return it if you don't like the sound. I tried a C372 fully expecting it to be terrific, but was nothing but underwhelmed by the veiled high end. Luckily I could return it. Only buy used if you absolutely know it's what you want.

Depending on your level of perfectionism, A integrated or even receiver can be just as satisfying as seperate amps/preamps. I'm currently using an Outlaw RR2150 receiver, and couldn't be happier with it. I only needed an integrated, but after trying the NAD, Marantz PM7001, Yamaha RX-797 and Denon DRA-695 and Harman HK-3480...... I tried the RR2150 as a "last chance" in the amp/receiver market with an A/B speaker switch.

That said, if you like the sound of your Marantz/Yamaha, why not continue to use it ? New is just ...... new , but not necessarily any better. Finding new equiptment is not easy and can be very time consuming, frustrating, expensive ...... yet ulimately very rewarding :) Such is life.