AR Newbie Registered Member

Phono preamp recommendation for NAD C 352

Greetings! This is my first posting. I'm new to audiophile type activities but a long time music lover. I've been looking for a setup where I can play vinyl, cds and mp3s over an Apple Airport Network through iTunes.

I just purchased a NAD C352 and now I'd like to connect my turntable. Does that mean I need a phono preamp like the NAD PP-2? Do I just connect that to the AUX input?

Or is there another brand you would recommend? To be honest, I read some good reviews and there is a shop near me that had it on 'sale' so I ran in (just before they closed) and purchased it. I didn't think to ask about the turntable connection.

I've got the CD and iTunes working and so far and whoah the CDs sound way better than the mp3s, even imported 256(vbr). I guess it's almost silly to think about mp3 and good sound... it's nice to hit the random button tho and let iTunes run through a library.

If I had purchased the NAD C162 would I still need the phono preamp? I saw that after I started looking into the NAD PP-2.

thanks! I'm looking forward to any advice you can give.
    dave

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Dave welcome to AudioReview. Your C352 is an integrated amp which is a pre-amp and power amp in one box. The C162 is a pre-amp so owning this and the C352 would be a little redundant. You could purchase a phono pre-amp for less than the money spent for the C162. Yes you would need the NAD PP-2. Another suggestion would be the Cambridge Audio 640Pfor under $200. It has been called a giant killer in affordable phono pre's.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

How much LP listening?

Quote Originally Posted by kaplanyo
    Greetings! This is my first posting. I'm new to audiophile type activities but a long time music lover. I've been looking for a setup where I can play vinyl, cds and mp3s over an Apple Airport Network through iTunes.

I just purchased a NAD C352 and now I'd like to connect my turntable. Does that mean I need a phono preamp like the NAD PP-2? Do I just connect that to the AUX input?
    Since I'm broke and don't do very much LP listening, I decided to go as cheap as possible for a phono preamp. I was looking for used copies of stuff from NAD, Cambridge, Pro-jec, etc. All these have decent reputation in the entry level PP market.

But I took a hint from an AR member, herm0016, and went with a TCC TC-750, and am very pleased. Ridiculously good for the money. Note that the TC-750 is for moving magnet cartridges only, however.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

AR Newbie Registered Member
    thanks guys!

I'm going back to the same shop today to see what they have in stock. Otherwise the audioadviser site looks pretty good.

JohnMichael,
    if the C352 is both a pre-amp and power amp does that mean if i bought a C162, only a pre-amp, i would need to get a power amp to work with the C162? just curious... i don't quite get the pre-amp, power amp relationships yet. :-)

thanks again to both of you for responding.

Thread Information