Suspended

Any difference sonically between B&K 7250/200.5 and how would they compare to others?

I'm currently using an Arcam FMJ 100x3 on my front & center. I'm satisfied with the Arcam but I want all 5 channels to match and I don't want to spend the money for a 5 channel Arcam. I'm watching for a good deal. I've seen some great prices on the B&K 7250. I even found a couple new ones. The reviews hear give high ratings but it's hard to take serious reviewers that say the B&K beat the Krell KAV or Bryston. My application will be 90% home theater, so I'm a little worried about comments of the B&K being warm.

I have no doubt the B&K would be a good value for the money but how does it compare to Arcam? Any loss in detail? Most reviewers said the B&K beat brands like Rotel or Adcom, so would you consider it a step up or just better competition.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

If your amp is for the HT surround speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I'm currently using an Arcam FMJ 100x3 on my front & center. I'm satisfied with the Arcam but I want all 5 channels to match and I don't want to spend the money for a 5 channel Arcam. I'm watching for a good deal. I've seen some great prices on the B&K 7250. I even found a couple new ones. The reviews hear give high ratings but it's hard to take serious reviewers that say the B&K beat the Krell KAV or Bryston. My application will be 90% home theater, so I'm a little worried about comments of the B&K being warm.

I have no doubt the B&K would be a good value for the money but how does it compare to Arcam? Any loss in detail? Most reviewers said the B&K beat brands like Rotel or Adcom, so would you consider it a step up or just better competition.
    Then any possible advantage of going with a matched amp is strictly bragging rights.
    The remote possibility that you could hear a difference would only be on SACD that was recorded so that major instrumentation comes out of the rear speakers. To me a SACD pressed this way is wrongly mixed, but there are some examples of it.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Suspended
    I beg to differ, I heard a noticeable difference when all front channels match. I expect the same when the back matches the front. For instance, if you hear rain in all channels, I can tell when the sound don't match. Also on effects that may go front to back or back to front should have a better flow, seamless. This finer detail may depend on your preamp as well. Some times the difference is not so much a tonal one but more of a feel of consistency. It's like when the amps match it's more difficult to tell where the speakers are, the sound stage has unity. I may be a minority in this and many may not know what I'm talking about unless you experience it. When amps don't match, it doesn't really stick out like a sore thumb, unless you really have a mismatch, but you really notice the improvement when they do match.

I guess another big thing is how critical one listens while watching a movie. Last year when I first got my C-J amp in the mix, I hadn't even had time to get the levels balanced when my brother wanted to watch the Star Wars movie that just came out. So I humored him. I could tell right off the levels were off and the tubes weren't going to mix with my Arcam. I wanted so bad to stop the movie and at least adjust the levels, I asked my brother a couple times, " does this sound alright?" He thought it sounded good. I was climbing the walls and couldn't wait until the movie was over. That's no way to enjoy a new movie. I've since separated my 2 channel from my HT.

Have you ever stopped to listen what comes out of the surrounds?

I beg to differ, I heard a noticeable difference when all front channels match. I expect the same when the back matches the front. For instance, if you hear rain in all channels, I can tell when the sound don't match. Also on effects that may go front to back or back to front should have a better flow, seamless. This finer detail may depend on your preamp as well. Some times the difference is not so much a tonal one but more of a feel of consistency. It's like when the amps match it's more difficult to tell where the speakers are, the sound stage has unity. I may be a minority in this and many may not know what I'm talking about unless you experience it. When amps don't match, it doesn't really stick out like a sore thumb, unless you really have a mismatch, but you really notice the improvement when they do match.

I guess another big thing is how critical one listens while watching a movie. Last year when I first got my C-J amp in the mix, I hadn't even had time to get the levels balanced when my brother wanted to watch the Star Wars movie that just came out. So I humored him. I could tell right off the levels were off and the tubes weren't going to mix with my Arcam. I wanted so bad to stop the movie and at least adjust the levels, I asked my brother a couple times, " does this sound alright?" He thought it sounded good. I was climbing the walls and couldn't wait until the movie was over. That's no way to enjoy a new movie. I've since separated my 2 channel from my HT.
    It's not much compared to the front three, and it's also phase shifted and time delayed for effect purposes. That's not something that you can do critical listening on. Of course if the levels are off then there will be a noticable problem. Are you using 5 of exactly the same speaker? If not, then the the speaker's sonic signature would have a order of magnitude greater effect on the sound than any change of amplification might have.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Suspended
    Well, you got me there. I have Audience in the back and Contour in the front. I also used a cheaper grade speaker connect to the back because of distance. So it's not going to be the perfect match. I have and do listen to the rears. First the rears don't get much action and when they do it's rare that they work in unison with the fronts. I'd like to at least try it though to see if it would improve sound or knit things together better. Maybe borrowing and experimenting would be the wiser move. I don't listen to 5 channel music either.

If I had a 5 channel amp it would free up a shelf and one outlet

Better amplification is a GOOD thing

Well, you got me there. I have Audience in the back and Contour in the front. I also used a cheaper grade speaker connect to the back because of distance. So it's not going to be the perfect match. I have and do listen to the rears. First the rears don't get much action and when they do it's rare that they work in unison with the fronts. I'd like to at least try it though to see if it would improve sound or knit things together better. Maybe borrowing and experimenting would be the wiser move. I don't listen to 5 channel music either.

If I had a 5 channel amp it would free up a shelf and one outlet
    And your speakers love current, so your going to do well by increasing the quality/power of your amplification. I just woudn't expect too much from it, especially with helping match the sound.

Oh, just to let you know; A good friend runs all B&K amplification on his 5.1 B&W system. It works very well. The front two are powered by the reference 200. A very good amp indeed.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Suspended
    G, you'll really think I'm crazy. I found a great buy on a LINN 5125 and ordered it. I borrowed one to use while I was having one of mine serviced. It has a different sound than Arcam. As I remember the Arcam has more of a punch in the bass. The detail of the LINN was very good. The design of the LINN is really what drew me that direction. The amp has auto on/off like some subs do. It doesn't get hot and is very small. My HT amps are in the bottom of my stand where I have to open the door and leave it open while using it, as to not let the amps over heat. I can hook up the 5125 and forget about it. I didn't run the 5125 to it's breaking point but I don't remember lacking for any power. Of course, I still had the Krell on my mains too. It's a very difficult perception to overcome, a 14 pound amp that delivers 125w x 5. The 5125 uses digital switching power supply. After I've got it set up and live with it awhile I'll post a review.

The Arcam drove the Dyn's very well. I had no problem with the FMJ and would recommend it to others.

Suspended
    G; I have the LINN 5125 in my system now. The front to back and overall coherency did improve some but like you mentioned not nearly as dramatic as having all front channels match. I think the largest improvement was just having better quality amplification on the rears. It's very interesting how a difference in amplifiers can even seem to show a difference in sound effects, such as the steering or movement. This is one area that the LINN is a master. I would have thought most of that effect is in the preamp and it probably is but the amp can make a difference there as well. I guess that does stand to reason that if a different brand amplifier projects sound staging differently or varying ability, that the same would apply to home theater. It's just a more complex sound stage.

Thread Information