Suspended

Here's an interesting amp

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I love Conrad Johnson gear and this piece is on my short list to demo - but damn, that scoring system is just silly...3 and a half notes for "attack"? What is "soundscape extension into the room" and what properties of an amp influence this?

Interesting read though. A good friend of mine a few minutes away has a bunch of CJ stuff from over the years. I'll have to keep working him to take some of his old junk off his hands.

Suspended
    I'd love to hear one as well. The price tag will keep it out of most peoples shopping cart though. I agree the scoring is odd. It is noteworthy though that CJ does seem to be looking for the perfect audio oasis with much of their recent gear prompting comments like, "sounding like neither solid state or tubes".

My CT6 though tubed has that type of sonic character as well. It's superior sound and incredible bass control is appreciated and I know I made the right move, however, one thing I enjoy about CJ's "golden glow" is the aspect that gives the performer what I call "a presence". A friend of mine describes it as "putting the flesh on the bone". Solid State, generally, and gear that is too neutral tends to make the sound stage sound too flat, or on one plain. The "golden glow" lifts the artist off the paper. This may be what some call euphoric, not sure. I thought the PV14 was a great compromise, it had decent bass, losing control only in the very lowest octaves, a bit of a blume while keeping good detail and a good midrange. The CT6 is much better in the resolution area and keeps a good grip to it's limits. So far the CJ gear I've heard has all been very "musical" and enjoyable.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I've only spent time in stores with the CT5 (IIRC) not the CT6 - excellent rooms and setups mind you - but I would agree CJ has a certain unique tonality. CJ seems to be a love hate thing with a lot of people but I for one enjoy it. I'm not a big fan of "warm" sounding gear but every now and then a few pieces impress me. One thing I like about CJ is that they don't focus intensely on imaging - as in you don't get that razor sharp, pin point image that some gear reproduces to perfection - some call this a flaw, but geez, any time I'm at a show and close my eyes sound seems to emanate from a general direction or area, not a point. I suppose for some quieter, acoustic music this might be a small detriment, but I think it makes for more versatility - especially with amplified music that might not have as precise imaging anyway.

I don't know if I've heard the MV60s or not, I can't keep the model numbers in my noggin for all the gear I've demoed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I'm not sure it's particularly interesting. (You're a bit of a CJ fanboy, Mr P.) The critic mentioned that he hoped to avoid the hybrid "perfect blend" cliche but couldn't. In fact nowadays hybrid designs are deja vu all over again. Every Chinese manufacturer has a hybrid model, e.g. these Shengya PM-150 monoblocks from Grant Fidelity.

I note that despite that he describes it as an unqualified "great amp" it gets mainly 4 "notes" with a 5 in only one area. Interestingly it gets a 4 for value which is astounding for a $7500 unit.

Soundstage is mentioned as the big thing for this unit and it's pointed out that this is a tube halmark -- I tend to agree from what I've heard -- neverthess it only get 4 "notes".

For the sake of arguement here's an amp that review as well as the CJ, albeit a bit less powerful, but costs far less money -- in fact it's a jaw-dropping value: WTF? "introductory" price of $1358. The Monarchy Audio SE-100 Delux MkII ; (it happens to be Class A, though Monarchy makes hybrids too)...
    Check out the Dagogo review of the SE-250, 500 wpc hybrid, ($5000).

So maybe I'm a Monarchy fanboy.
    Last edited by Feanor; 12-29-2009 at 10:38 AM.

Thread Information