• 05-27-2005, 11:51 AM
    minye
    My very first seperate and virgin ears.
    I am new in audiophile. I have a set of Klipsch speakers. The main the KSF 10.5 towers and a 12 inch powered sub. I have a Denon reciever with 60wpc. I've been watching 5.1 movies and pretty satisified with the system. But I also like listening to music: Eagles,Kenny G, Diana Krall, classic rock, James Taylor...I know it 's much better to use seperates to listen to music. So I got my very first seperate, a pair of old schools, Rotel RC870 Preamp and RB870 AMP 60 wpc. I got them cheap 'cause the budget is tight for me to spend on these things.

I hooked them up with the Klipsch towers. ( I use a Pioneer Elite DV37 to play CDs ). For the first time the sound from the seperate system reached my ears... I heard the difference. I feel more power than the receiver though they are both rated 60 wpc. The sound is more solid for that. And I can feel something more. But I am not sure if that is the warm or sweet I should be expecting from a seperate syetem. Can someone tell me what I should be expecting from these old Rotels? And I know my Klipsch speakers are very sensitive and efficient. Maybe they are not very good for music listening or not easy to get typical results..

Another issue I met is I found that when I use the seperates, I lost the powerful bass that receiver and powered sub can give. What shall I do about it? Thanks
  • 05-27-2005, 01:27 PM
    Bass
    Quote:

Originally Posted by minye
    ...Another issue I met is I found that when I use the seperates, I lost the powerful bass that receiver and powered sub can give. What shall I do about it? Thanks

Klipsh speakers sans sub typically don't have thunderous bass, and so w/o your sub in the mix it will sound rather weak. The bass can be re-introduced with a 2.1 configuration, if your sub has speaker inputs-outputs (which I believe that sub does). You'll need an extra pair of speaker cables, too. Connect the first pair of speaker cables between the sub's speaker inputs and the Rotel amp's speaker outputs. Then connect the sub's speaker outputs to your L/R speakers. The sub will filter out the lower frequencies for itself and pass the rest onto the speakers. The sub should have controls on the back that will allow you to specify at what frequency it crosses over.

I used to have a pair of Klipsch speakers connected via my SVS sub that way, and it was an incredibly good sounding setup, even through my Onkyo stereo receiver. With pricier Rotel seperates, this should give you even better sound reproduction.