Forum Regular

My very first hi-fi stereo

I recently got my audio system, I had bought a NAD C320bee and had a problem with it. One of the channels was creating a static sound and had to return it. Decided to get my second choice, rotel ra-02 and I love it! Sounds very nice paired with PSB image 2b speakers. Built quality is far superior and the sound is just as great and even better!
    Here are some pics! Thanks for the suggestions of this forum, really helped my decision, coudln't be happier !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My very first hi-fi stereo-system.jpg   My very first hi-fi stereo-amp_tt.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by ninetynine
    My very first hi-fi stereo
    Sweet system for your first! And you have vinyl. Kewl.

I have a couple of suggestions:

1. Separate the speakers further apart if possible. Having them on stands helps with improving the height of the image. Moving them apart will widen the stage.

2. Swap the locations of the CDP and turntable. You need to get the TT away from areas where bass tends to migrate to reduce feedback effects. It also makes it a good bit easier to manage the discs as well.

rw

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Your in big trouble now.

Congrats on the new toys, and I'm sure that you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of them, but beware. Good audio can lead you down the dark road. You might even wind up like E-Stat, a prisoner of sound(labs)!
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Your second choice?? The Rotel is much better than the 320bee -- so you are lucky in a way the Nad didn;t work -- they have problems as it is with QC let alone bad design.

Your Rotel my dealer thinks should be made into a classic line. He has been badgering Rotel with e-mails to keep the RA line around unchanged for the next decade or so as a relativly inexpensive but highlymusical amplifier...I listened to it on a set of ANE and was quite iimpressed -- with hiugh end speakers it holds up well...few do.

Rotel is underrated always has been I feel. If you have to have the turntable on the stand -- try and putit on the top shelf or perhpas try a turntable base like the ones from Skylan. these take out vibration very well and can solidify the sound.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ninetynine
    I recently got my audio system, I had bought a NAD C320bee and had a problem with it. One of the channels was creating a static sound and had to return it. Decided to get my second choice, rotel ra-02 and I love it! Sounds very nice paired with PSB image 2b speakers. Built quality is far superior and the sound is just as great and even better!
    Here are some pics! Thanks for the suggestions of this forum, really helped my decision, coudln't be happier !
    Nicely done! It's always good to see pics of new gear, too. The Rotel does look classier than the NAD and the Rotel must have a phono preamp section. I had a decent stereo system for about 10-12 years that included a NAD stereo receiver and an old Dual turntable. When I finally decided to get something new, I discovered that most integrated amps and stereo receivers no longer had phono sections. I finally found a nice preamp/amp combo within my budget that can accomodate all my sources, but it took longer to find what I needed than I thought it would. Have you had the PSB speakers for a while or are those new too? I bet you got a good deal if you just got those, now that the new Image line is out. BTW, what cartridge are you running with the Technics?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin
    Have you had the PSB speakers for a while or are those new too? I bet you got a good deal if you just got those, now that the new Image line is out. BTW, what cartridge are you running with the Technics?
    Yep you guessed right, I actually got quite a deal, cost price on the speakers and they are new. Good to have friends that work in audio! The cartridge is a basic shure sc35c very very basic. I'm thinking of upgrading the turntable after hearing a rega lol!!

Well I am afraid I am a bit of a NAD monkey and there certainly isn't any build quality problems with my C370 - its built like a brick!

However, I have auditioned the Rotel amps and I have to say they sound sweet. Basically you just go with whatever equipment does it for you really

Happy Listening

Oh, and your first upgrade needs to be your cd player. I noticed an massive difference upgrading froma bog standard Kenwood unit to my Rega Planet 2000.

You could try pairing it up with the same series Rotel CD player?

Welcome to planet mega-spend! All off-world shuttles are cancelled!

Pete

congrats on the new system!!

good for you!!..looks like a GREAT start! I can hook you up with some LP's for little money to get you headin' down the road...BTW is thatTT a 1700 model?

Peace, Pogue

also write me @ thepogue@yahoo.com for the LP's
    • Mark Levinson No. 27
    • Musical Fidelity 308cr
    • Martin Logan Prodigy's
    • Ariel Acoustics 10-T
    • Rega Planet CD
    • CJ Premier 9 DAC
    • Linn LP12 - Basik Plus - Valhalla
    • Benz Micro Cart.
    • Akai GX 747 Reel to Reel
    • Straight Wire Virtuoso Interconnects

Up & Coming Bottlehead jt1stcav's Avatar
    Lakeland, inbetween Tampa and Orlando, Florida

Smile

Sweet straightforward setup...you should be proud. Enjoy!
    ~ Jim Tidwell ~

"Uh, jazz flute is for little fairy boys." - Veronica Corningstone

Thread Information