Forum Regular

My system is now complete, well for now...

Hello,

I am 20 years old and currently in college. I have saved up some money this year and upgraded my existing system (NAD C350, tannoy mx4, Yamaha cd changer)

My new system: Portal Panache, Tannoy Fusion 4 (even trade with mx), Onix xcd-88.

The first Panache I had buzzed to no end and was so annoying I just un-plugged it and put it back in the box. The buzz was so loud you could hear it over music and in the other room! Of course this was after I tried everything I could imagine, un-plugged all connections, tried turning off all other things in the house, took it to TIBI manufacturing (it did not buzz one bit there). So Joe Abrams sent me another one and it does not buzz as bad as the other one, I can only hear the buzz from 1-1.5 feet away from the speakers. I have tried using a 200 dollar power conditioner, a cheater plug and another power cable. I can't get rid of it.

Joe told me it did not make a peep in his main systems. blah.

So I am keeping this one as I cant hear it in my listening position or when music is playing. If you did not know it buzzed, you might not even notice it. My best friend could not hear it when he walked in.

Besides that the amp is AMAZING. I am not good at describing such things but it brought out things I did not even know were missing in the NAD. I guess it should for the price difference. Bass is smooth and powerful, and the midrange is just perfect. The music has a lot of control and is just fun to listen to. Bad recordings don't sound terrible but good to great recordings just sound wow amazing.

Build quality is top notch. And the Onix cd player is a very detailed and well built machine too. The bass is one thing I noticed over the Yamaha, it is not wobbly and wooly sounding any more. The Yamaha had this strange echo sound compared to this player also.

As for the Tannoys, they sound just as good as the mx4 but have so much more bass! I really love the detail and airyness of these speakers. Drum kicks have that extra ooomph the Mx4 didnt quite have. The looks of the mx series is better IMHO.

So there you have it.

If anyone can suggest some fixes for my slight buzz/humm I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Not really

Quote Originally Posted by RTilbury

If anyone can suggest some fixes for my slight buzz/humm I would appreciate it.

Thanks
    I have occassional hum in my Bel Canto amp as I did in my previous NAD. Hum -- so I'm told -- is caused by a small amount of DC in the mains. It isn't a defect in the amp and is unlikely to harm the amp. But it is damned annoying.

I reduced the hum from the Bel by getting a Tripp Lite IS1000 isolation transformer. I say reduced not eliminated the hum, and the Tripp Lite hums louder than the amp ever did Bummer!

The Collector
    Try an iso transformer on the signal path between the CD player and amp.

Forum Regular
    I don't think it is a problem with the cd player. I have hooked up the amp by itself, no speakers and no components. I can hear the buzz through my senn HD 580s.

It really pisses me off. Especially since it didnt buzz at TIBI manufacturing (This is where the amp is built) and at another persons house. But it did buzz at my dad's house and in mine....

Thread Information