• 04-04-2004, 02:07 PM
    Klipschnut
    Problem solved
  • 04-04-2004, 07:16 PM
    mtrycraft
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Klipschnut
    Problem solved

Since I didn't see or read your original post, what did you find and how did you solve it?
  • 06-14-2004, 12:24 PM
    Klipschnut
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mtrycraft
    Since I didn't see or read your original post, what did you find and how did you solve it?

Sorry for the slow response, I've been away for a while.

In my original post I stated that my Denon AVR-1601 broke down, like they all do, so I decided to let my mains, Klipsch Forte II's, borrow the amp/preamp I'd been using to power my DIY subwoofer system, the Hafler DH-200 and the GAS Thalia. I had been using the combo for about a year prior to this, and I never noticed anything peculiar while running my 4ohm subs in stereo-- at least I assumed it was running stereo.

Right Away when I hooked them up to my mains I noticed how bland it sounded. I knew something was not right, and confirmed it when I put in an old car audio test CD in which a woman's voice is made to pan from left, left-center, center, right-center, and finally right. Some of the voices came from both speakers, while some were not audible at all, which revealed that both speakers were running on one channel.

I moved shortly after that, so it all went in storage for a year and a half, and I had almost forgotten about the matter until recently, when I got my gear moved back into my apartment.

Still having no receiver to run the rest of my system, I gave another go at wiring the separates to my mains in stereo. Again I ran into the same dilemma, which prompted me to post my problem again.

While writing my post, I thought of some other possibilities to try with wiring, and a few minutes after my last post, I figured out that by wiring the analog cables in a certain way, I could acheive the desired stereo configuration.

Basically, my preamp has channel 1 and 2 outputs, each with an A and a B, and the buttons on the front to select A, B, or both. I had tried all the other configurations except for the correct one-- figures. The way it's wired now is: left ouput from channel 1-A to left input on the amp, and right output from channel 2-B to right input on the amp. This may be standard for older preamps, but I'm used to the more modern methods of wiring on newer separates and surround receivers.

In the end it all worked out, and I learned something new, so all is well. I'm pleased with the setup for stereo listening, although my subwoofer, center, and surround speakers are all suffering from neglect. This should change soon, as I am currently shopping for a new receiver. I'm going to drop a post about my list of candidates so far, and see if I can get any opinions on which to purchase.
  • 06-14-2004, 07:28 PM
    mtrycraft
    Great, thanks for the recap :)