Thread: Bose/Onkyo

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar

Bose/Onkyo

FYI.....

While killing time in a Bose store this weekend I noticed all their equipment was set up to Onkyo recievers. I will leave that to others to take from it what they will but what I thought was interesting was Bose was offering to selling the Onkyo with 10% off. Not sure if the prices were competitive but if someone is looking at Onkyo you might get a deal through Bose. The offer did not indicate you had to buy Bose to get the discount.

from what ive seen, onkyo is crap, all their stereo receiver use spring clips, even the top model!

I previewed the tx-8511, There is alot of plastic used on that thing, I did a 10 minute mid
    volume test and it got VERY hot. I got outta there.

Quote Originally Posted by audio_dude
    from what ive seen, onkyo is crap, all their stereo receiver use spring clips, even the top model!
    Its a shame, really.

It used to be some of the the best mid-priced equipment around. But yeah, I've seen some models in Best Buy that I wasn't too impressed with.

My first serious system was an Onkyo TX-85 receiver with Polk Audio SDA-CRS+ speakers. There was real synergy in that pairing. I still have the Polks but the Receiver finally died.

But I feel the same way with some of the newer Polk Audio speakers. When Polk ditched the PR concept for the cheaper ports, it was downhill from AFAIC.

The unit I previewed did sound pretty good, although they were running some kind of
    BOSTON floorstanders it happened to be wired to. I'm sure they had everything to do
    with what is was hearing. At the time I was narrowing my a/v receiver search down,
    and it did'nt fit my budget or needs, I guess there a "step" down from stuff I see on
    here, I have no regrets with the way I went(so far).

Pioneer VSX1015TX
    JBL Northridge E150 Powered Sub
    JBL 4410A Studio Monitors(Front)
    JBL Northridge E30(Surrounds)
    JBL Cinema Vison CVCEN50 Center
    JBL Northridge Satellites(Back Channel)
    Pioneer Elite DV45A DVDA/SACD
    Panasonic DVD F86K
    Sony RCD W500C CD PLAYER/REC
    AR Interconnects
    Cobalt 14G Wire
    Sanus Stands
    XBOX 360 (Just Added)

As Long As My Brain And Fingers Work I'm Cool...Edward Van Halen

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Well I am certainly happy with my Pioneer and don't have an opinion one way or another on Onkyo.

From the posts I have seen so far most people's opinion are putting Onkyo recievers on par with Bose speakers.

Agreed!

Forum Regular
    I own an Onkyo TX-844 receiver, which I use in a bedroom system and think it is great. If Onkyo still made receivers like this, perhaps this thread would not be going in the direction that it is. I actually wrote a letter to Onkyo some time ago stating what has been touched upon in this thread. Indeed, the older Onkyo gear seems like it was the real deal. I have not been impressed with any of their newer equipment. In fact, I had one of their cd changers for a few days and had to return it.

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    Yeah the TX-8211 and 8511 are a mixed up mess with cheesy spring clip connectors but both have fairly good sound for their respective prices. If they charge $50 more and made em with better connectors the receivers would seem like much nicer pieces.

Also I agree on them getting damn hot. I have a NAD integrated amp and a H/K 5.1 receiver and neither get as hot as a friends Onkyo 5.1 receiver (I forget the model). The H/K also can pump considerably more power than his Onkyo with lower distortion.

Forum Regular
    I have a 12 or 13 year old TX SV414 Pro. The sound is great, the build quality is good. Looked at some new Onkyos, the stats were still good, but they didn't sound as good as they did. I also noticed the build quality wasn't what it once was.
    Sigh
    It seems like a lot of the mid priced equipemnt is disappearing. They either cut the quality (drastically sometimes) or the raise the roof on the prices.

I'm going to have to go the oppisite direction and disagree with some of these posts. I have had great experiences with Onkyo receivers in terms of reliability, sound quality, and features. However, I do agree that the TXSR303/503/603 are quite cheaply made. The TXSR703/803 are built like tanks as well as the NR901 and 1000. I also like the sound of the M282. Their stereo receivers are also on the cheap side but so is the pricepoint. Have another look at their stuff and don't write them off because of the entry level product that they make. If you look at the Integra line, it is all made off of the base of the Onkyo product. I would choose Onkyo very quickly over Yamaha, HK, or Denon. But thats just my opinion.

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by evil__betty
    I would choose Onkyo very quickly over Yamaha, HK, or Denon. But thats just my opinion.
    I wouldn't chose it over H/K or Denon but I still consider it to be pretty close. I've never had any trouble with Onkyo either but I do find that the competition from Denon and H/K sound more vibrant and dynamic in most cases.

Thread Information